Can dual citizens join the volunteer military?

very few do it

I know one guy who has done it a few times. I asked him why he has to do it multiple times when others never do.

His reply was that he should have worked harder to get out of it the first time. He is on the easy target list now.

3 Likes

iiuc, you could be called up to 4 times. their selection is based on the principle of expertise, leadership and other needs.

2 Likes

You sure the principles of bums in seats and ticks in boxes donā€™t factor in?

I see. I thought it was everyone.
But everyone is still considered and listed as a reservist after conscription ?

iiuc, dual citizens are still listed, and can be called for a training. if they are called, they should go up to 4 times unless there is a good excuse to skip it, which many would have. if they do 5th trainig, there is a bonus, but dual citizens cannot do the 5th one, because it should be volunteer training.

when something happens, their freedom to move could be restricted.

3 Likes

Such as military escalation you mean?

1 Like

Nowhere in my household registration is my dual citizenship indicated, so Iā€™d imagine they just ask you during enlistment.

1 Like

And maybe not a good idea to deny it if someone for some reason wanted to.
Are there other ways it could be cross referenced?
For example on my sonā€™s ID my name as well as his motherā€™s name are on it. But just my Chinese name. Iā€™m also on the HHR which has my Chinese and English names.
Also on several occasions my ARC was needed by him to do things at school, applying for a Taiwan passport and a few other things.

nationality of parents, birthplace, record of transfer from abroad on HHR database could indicate the possibility of applicantā€™s dual nationality. if you submitted a foreign passport when you applied for TARC, they could know your foreign nationality by cross check. extended period of stay in foreign country might also be flagged. since you give a permittion to check, i think they could check your info other departments have. idk if those databases could be cross checked, and even if so, they really do check. it could be just your declaration, and unless someone tips, they might do nothing.

the rule they set maybe follow the ones on public servants, as you said, and they exclude dual citizens, because volunteer soldiers have access to more important information compared to conscripted people?

when they set the regulations, they were at the last stage to or just after complrted to reduce professional soldiers.

1 Like