Can foreign dependents work in Taiwan?

Hi, I am a foreign dependent on my husband who has been posted here to work.

So far I am aware that foreigners can work as long as work permit is issued & limited to stipulated fields with min. salary limit etc etc. BUT i didnt read anywhere if work permit can or cannot be issued to persons on dependent status…does that mean I can safely assume its a yes? :unamused:

Also, say I would like to do part time eg. waitress, barista etc, can I do so on a dependent pass? Technically speaking though, I shd also require work permit for these jobs but which right-minded co would go through the trouble just for short term employment? Does that mean I have answered my own question?

Yes, you’ve answered your question. Dependents on a non-ROC spousal JFRV will need to have a work permit issued to work legally. CLA has forms for all kinds (even students) of workers.

So technically speaking, I can apply for ANY job, ranging from part-time waitress to full time professional, as long as they are willing to apply for a work permit on my behalf?

Does the same rules of industry/field limitation & min. salary also apply even for part time jobs coz that would practically make it impossible to land a job…

Yes, that’s right.

Depends on the job. There are different classifications of those jobs in question. For technical, professional, there are definite salary requirements which are about NT 49,000 per month now. For others, I don’t know the exact salary requirement.

Let me ask this, if you’re just looking for a job, any job, you may register as a student and then get paid work P/T no more than 16 hours a week. If you’re looking to do professional work, you can also do that so long as you can find a company that would be willing to sell you their fapiao so that the company contracting for your services can pay you legally. Not many companies will pay tens of thousands of dollars without some kind of receipt or acknowledgement of payment receipt.

well, ideally a full time professional job would be good but the min salary could be a huge factor…I have a bachelor in engineering and have 2 yrs of working experience back home but prob is I have not been in the work force for past 2 yrs so I’m not sure where that lands me…I can try but doubt I can score a professional job paying >NT49000…

So I presume my other option left is to do freelancing or part time jobs…
what do you mean by register as a student? Do I need to forego my JFRV in doing so? Just wondering, is there a difference in work regulations for non-ROC spousal JFRV & ROC spousal JFRV? From what i have read, the latter seems to open more doors…

[quote=“mascara”]well, ideally a full time professional job would be good but the min salary could be a huge factor…I have a bachelor in engineering and have 2 yrs of working experience back home but prob is I have not been in the work force for past 2 yrs so I’m not sure where that lands me…I can try but doubt I can score a professional job paying >NT49000…

what do you mean by register as a student? Do I need to forego my JFRV in doing so? Just wondering, is there a difference in work regulations for non-ROC spousal JFRV & ROC spousal JFRV? From what I have read, the latter seems to open more doors…[/quote]

Yes, freelancing P/T on a professional basis is okay. You might be able to be paid in cash for that on a one-time basis. But if you contract out to a larger company and where you’re truly a contractor, then you’d need to find a company that would be willing to submit fapiaos on your behalf. You can check my .sig for one company who can provide that service.

If you freelance, you wouldn’t have to give up your JFRV. I forgot you’re here on a JFRV, so the student visa to work option doesn’t apply to you sorry. There is a difference in work regulations for non-ROC spousal JFRV and ROC spousal JFRV. The latter grants the ROC spousal automatic working rights as if one were a ROC national, without need of a work permit. The former requires a work permit to work legally.

I read somewhere abt an open work permit, I have a hunch thats only eligible to the ROC spousal type of JFRV?

I was considering the option of teaching english part-time if possible but do not have any related teaching experience. I have the impression it doesnt constitute a big prob as long you are a native speaker & have a bachelor degree…now my question is what is exactly the definition of a “native” speaker…coz if it means a person from a country whereby english is taught as a first language then technically I could be considered a native speaker? Also, I am rather confused abt the min salary thingy, say I do P/T teaching english does that mean I can only get a work permit if I clock in sufficient hours to make up NT49000?? OR the min salary thing is only for professional or technical work and if so, does teaching fall under this cateogry?

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”][quote=“mascara”]well, ideally a full time professional job would be good but the min salary could be a huge factor…I have a bachelor in engineering and have 2 yrs of working experience back home but prob is I have not been in the work force for past 2 yrs so I’m not sure where that lands me…I can try but doubt I can score a professional job paying >NT49000…

what do you mean by register as a student? Do I need to forego my JFRV in doing so? Just wondering, is there a difference in work regulations for non-ROC spousal JFRV & ROC spousal JFRV? From what I have read, the latter seems to open more doors…[/quote]

Yes, freelancing P/T on a professional basis is okay. You might be able to be paid in cash for that on a one-time basis. But if you contract out to a larger company and where you’re truly a contractor, then you’d need to find a company that would be willing to submit fapiaos on your behalf. You can check my .sig for one company who can provide that service.

If you freelance, you wouldn’t have to give up your JFRV. I forgot you’re here on a JFRV, so the student visa to work option doesn’t apply to you sorry. There is a difference in work regulations for non-ROC spousal JFRV and ROC spousal JFRV. The latter grants the ROC spousal automatic working rights as if one were a ROC national, without need of a work permit. The former requires a work permit to work legally.[/quote]

So if it’s OK to work as a contractor, why does anyone bother getting a work permit? That doesn’t sound right to me.

[quote=“Miranda”][quote=“Yellow Cartman”][quote=“mascara”]well, ideally a full time professional job would be good but the min salary could be a huge factor…I have a bachelor in engineering and have 2 yrs of working experience back home but prob is I have not been in the work force for past 2 yrs so I’m not sure where that lands me…I can try but doubt I can score a professional job paying >NT49000…

If you freelance, you wouldn’t have to give up your JFRV. I forgot you’re here on a JFRV, so the student visa to work option doesn’t apply to you sorry. There is a difference in work regulations for non-ROC spousal JFRV and ROC spousal JFRV. The latter grants the ROC spousal automatic working rights as if one were a ROC national, without need of a work permit. The former requires a work permit to work legally.[/quote]

So if it’s OK to work as a contractor, why does anyone bother getting a work permit? That doesn’t sound right to me.[/quote]

It depends on the company’s position on tax liabilities, business status, employee’s relationship to the business, and other business matters (e.g. time/cost for work sponsorship).

For example, if it is a foreign based company, then getting work permits can be very difficult if you’re not properly capitalized or set up. If it is a local company, maybe they can’t afford the work permit salary threshold amount to sponsor a work permit. These are just a couple of reasons… there’s a whole host of reasons for why “other status” is used by businesses.