Can foreigners join Taiwan's civil defence groups?

After watching videos like this, seeing that local Taiwanese are training to be able to resist a chinese invasion, it’s obvious that many foreigners that Immigrated to Taiwan consider Taiwan their new home. They either have a permanent resident permit which I believe they can get after 5 years, or full on citizenship. Many of us settling down in Taiwan adopting it as a new home no longer consider themselves foreign guests. Whether it’s because they got married and had kids in Taiwan, or because they feel more at home in Taiwan than they did wherever they’re from, or whatever the reason is. It would be understandable as to why many of us would want to take up arms and stand with the Taiwanese people in our newfound home in the event of a Chinese invasion. Any thoughts?

Had anybody heard any stories of local immigrants from western countries settling down in Taiwan willing to join the civil defence units? Or is that even an option for us?

3 Likes

IMHO at that point, one should truly consider becoming a citizen in Taiwan - even if that would mean giving up one’s birth citizenship.

@Alias1983

People who are citizens are no longer foreigners.

3 Likes

They would be foolish to not put me in the bell tower with 1,00 rounds. And citizenship without giving up my big blue and no taxes, ever again, for anything.

2 Likes

Perhaps legally

Why not? These groups are spontaneously organized by regular people, and are not governed by law.

If I went to Bumfuck, Alabama, and asked to join a prepper group, I doubt they’d check my passport. In fact, I doubt any of them have passports themselves.

Interesting question. Have you also tried asking around on Chinese-language forums?

I guess that anybody joining such a group would need to be fluent in Chinese, since in a real situation everyone will be shouting at you in Chinese, and you also might suddenly be called upon to handle some military equipment that requires the ability to read Chinese.

1 Like

Nah it would be all hands on deck , some people speak English.

Perhaps if enough English-speaking people can find and join such English-speaking civil defense groups, that might make for an interesting Taiwan Plus news story, and a bit of good international PR. The story might be titled: “Taiwan’s multi-national civil defense groups – International solidarity to protect Taiwan.”

(On the other hand, I seem to recall reading here on the forum someone who said, “They won’t even give us a bank account. No way they will give us guns.”)

1 Like

I can only imagine that says, “This side faces out.”

2 Likes

Thank you for posting this video.

I appreciate that the start of the video focuses on training to bring first aid to injured. No triage situation was mentioned, although certainly they are prepaing for mass casualties.

I am also curious if groups as shown will be able to procure AR platform weapons, as shown in the target practice portion of the video.

As far as the foreign civilian legion joining in without training, they may get in the way. A few others mentioned the language barrier. If you’re going to do it, join up and train now. Too late to train after it goes down.

1 Like

Congratulations! You have passed the test and lived to see another day. The image is from here, and yes, it is important to know which side is supposed to face which way.

1 Like

Perhaps Legally…?

What is your definition of a foreigner? Is it something to do with skin color/ethnicity?

I guess if a person from Vietnam became Taiwanese they would be more than just “perhaps legally” a citizen? (Because they look how a Taiwanese is supposed to look.) But an Australian with white skin… no he is only a citizen on paper I guess…

1 Like

It says whatever it says on the American version says, this side towards enemy.

How does one join those civil defense groups? Do you get to play around with guns if you do?

In the minds of some people, in many places, people who come from foreign countries are foreigners.

Also, the Mandarin word for foreigner is used by Chinese speakers to describe Canadians in Canada.

This is two examples of how, in non legal terms a person not born in Taiwan will always be a foreigner to some Taiwanese.

Not me. But I understand that there are other people in the world who are not me, and that they think differently than I do. Not sure about you, specifically.

To some people, yes. Not sure why you chose Vietnam as your example…

2 Likes

台灣國籍外師

Contextual clues

We would only use Taiwanese. That way all Chinese speakers would be the enemy.

Just like that Hou Hsiao-Hsien movie.

If I am a citizen of the country then I believe I am from that country.

They are wrong. They are the foreigners if non citizens. Foreigner is not a synonym for Non Asians.

Then I will show them my (future) Taiwanese passport and tell them I am Taiwanese.

Oh sure, but I totally disagree with them.

2 Likes

Then I’m fucked :sweat_smile: (Apologies to all English speakers and Taiwanese who misunderstand English swear word usage in advance)

1 Like

So perhaps not legally then?

1 Like