Can I use kids to regain citizenship

Getting up there in years and it doesn’t look like I will be leaving Taiwan, at least during my working career. Not sure if kids will even want to go to the us. But anyway. Kids are dual citizens, but have only been in the states for a short visits. Could I use my kids to sponsor me to gain American Citizenship again if they were living in the USA.

This PARC thing doesn’t get me much citizenship privileges and still higher taxes. If this country was as stable as England, or Australia. It doesn’t have to be even stable, just recognized, I’d probably not think twice about giving up US citizenship.
If I was a Mexican, I could just overstay my visa! Also, I’m not sure how the US treats those people who give up their citizenship. Probably act all hurt and snooty towards them.

I heard progressive countries like Austrailia understand the plight of it’s citizens living abroad who give up citizenship for rights and quietly restore the citizenship later. Taiwanese can have many citizenships as shown to me by one of my doctors. He was showing me his passports as you would show photo albums. But foreigners must give up citizenship to become Taiwanese, right?

You know, that is a question that should be asked to a good immigration lawyer in the USA. In theory, it might be possible for your children to sponsor you, but think there is a several year wait to get an interview. Plus I think your children would have to establish residency in the USA (finding a job, buying a house/renting a place)/

They take it very personally, charge a lot of money and can revoke your revocation of US citizenship at any time. They also want their cut as you walk out the door with special IRS forms.

They take it very personally, charge a lot of money and can revoke your revocation of US citizenship at any time. They also want their cut as you walk out the door with special IRS forms.[/quote]
There was a great BBC Word Service Documentary on the subject of people revoking their US citizenships but I think it’s now past the “copyright” clearance for podcasts. Perhaps it’s on Youtube somewhere.

Anyway… key points. I was only $400 US dollars to revoke your citizenship, it was changed to $4,000. The BBC reported that the reason for this change was increased demand.

I did not know that they can actually revoke your revocation at anytime you please but threaten on their website that you are making a grave irrevocable decision. Wow, hypocrisy!
I wouldn’t mind having my citizenship given back, but I know that they will not revoke my revocation unless they want jurisdiction over me to do something not nice. I’m sure they don’t want to make things easier for my life.
Let’s bring it back to New Taiwanese Citizenship since this is the living in Taiwan forum. I know that my children cannot loose thier citizenship of Taiwan for any reason since their mom is Taiwanese ***
*( But I think read somewhere that there are Taiwanese with Taiwanese overseas passports who lost residency and work rights in Taiwan because they stayed abroad too long… I need to read more about that).
I seem to have read somewhere that New Taiwanese citizens can loose their citizenship for committing minor crimes. Where would that leave former US citizens who have to become stateless to get Taiwanese citizenship in the first place?
Can new Taiwanese citizens collect foreign citizenships like natural born Taiwanese do? I know that there are a few Naturalized Taiwanese in this forum. Has anyone regained their old citizenship or acquired another?
For those who took the plunge and gave up their old citizenship, do you worry about Taiwan falling or how you will be treated if this state is attacked or taken over by China? In the words of my local friends, maybe I “think too much”. I’ve been here twenty years. Can only expect to maybe thirty more… Nothing much should probably change.

The Overseas status is a whole different animal. Very complicated. I do not think that your children, who were born in Taiwan, have ROC IDs and hukous and the whole enchilada, have to worry about that. As long as the US does not bother them, the ROC does not care as long as they are huaren. That is because they are entitled to rights as well as obligations. Overseas have a lot of advantages -no military service- but also problematic -certain land purchases and hukou problems, plus need to have certain documents stamped. I know from pals and coowrkers, they are constanntly fretting about that stuff.

You can collect passports only if you are huaren.

As I have said before, I would prefer to be a refugee -political or economic- with an ROC ID/passport. The positive stereotype would work better. Also, I have said, that unless China needs to make a strong show of force, unless conditions in China change for the worse and they need a scapegoat, they will not attack Taiwan noisily -unless they need to make a point, gain brownie points with their own people. It has nothing to do with what Taiwan does or not. As far as China cares, Taiwan is theirs, they have an agreement with the elites for so. So they can collect the triumph card anytime they wish, no one will bait an eye -including US/UN and all Us- for they are holding not only the money purse, but the ideology purse -you bullies, you are preventing our Han sons and daughters from returning to their Motherland’s bossom! You bullies! Watch teh world turn against anyone who tries to pry mom and son apart. Hence, being patient enough, the 5000 wise China will just wait for the frogs to be cooked, even if sometimes they also forget and crank up the heat a bit too much, just as a reminder of who’s in charge. The meal is coming and it is “inevitable”.

Lie repeated and all that jazz.

Icon, your last post was great but your last paragraph lost me a little bit. I’m in and out doing some things, so perhaps it’s my fault.
Overseas Chinese, got it. I don’t quite understand how you get to be one but… that I’ll look up
“huaren” i’m not familiar with that term Hua, means voice or speak? Ren means people? Chinese speakers or someone with a blood line to the chinese world?
Where does that leave spouses who are granted citizenship or people who choose to be naturalized as they call it.
Wasn’t some woman stripped of her citizenship shortly after divorce?
If a new naturalized citizen choose to pick up a citizenship from Australia, will the Taiwanese citizenship be revoked?
BTW love your signature quote… PS: Please post a link to the thread you were talking about.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]Icon, your last post was great but your last paragraph lost me a little bit. I’m in and out doing some things, so perhaps it’s my fault.
Overseas Chinese, got it. I don’t quite understand how you get to be one but… that I’ll look up
“huaren” I’m not familiar with that term Hua, means voice or speak? Ren means people? Chinese speakers or someone with a blood line to the chinese world?
Where does that leave spouses who are granted citizenship or people who choose to be naturalized as they call it.
Wasn’t some woman stripped of her citizenship shortly after divorce?
If a new naturalized citizen choose to pick up a citizenship from Australia, will the Taiwanese citizenship be revoked?
BTW love your signature quote… PS: Please post a link to the thread you were talking about.[/quote]

Huaren as in 華 in Pan Chinese, encompasing all the Chinese in the world, emnphasis on culture. Hence huayu instead of guoyu -Chinese language instead of national language.

You cannot “get” Overseas Chinese status. You are born “it”. You ask for the status from abroad, as a han descendant. For example, half my family has it, half doesnt, because Great Gramps Peng had several …wives.

That stripped after divorce thing was allegedly because she was accused of being maried just for the nationality/unfaithful/the agency that “sold” her was into trickery… the details elude me, but it was something of that sorts.

There is indeed, a provison against our commiting any crimes that will supposedly get us kicked. People have told me it is a misundertsnading, but me being nowledgeable in the grey nature of Taiwan law, I guess they have something there to keep us in line.

As to the Australia scenario, AFAIK, yes. If you are born citizen of ROC, no. But naturalized, my bet is on yes. There must be a provision for that.

That said, going back to the grey nature of the law, some acquaintances do have recuperated their previous nationality. However, and here’s the kicker, they do mantain a low profile about it, and it seems what ROC govt does not know will not hurt them.

Last paragraph is more of a political rant and actually doe snot have much effect in our current discussion. Carry on.

Keep in mind that you renounce first, then apply. So you will be stateless until they grant you the Taiwanese citizenship and even then, they can still deny it to you after you renounce.

I would not trade a US passport for a Taiwanese one. despite the annoying US tax laws, I’m not rich enough to even considered renouncing. I also would not trust China to honor anything once they get this island back. Look at Hong Kong now.

Regarding APRC and tax, if you’re paying higher taxes than a Taiwanese citizen, then someone’s cheating you. Tax rates are the same, regardless of your passport.