Can I work at two places while having my ARC sponsored by one?

I am studying my bachelor degree in an University in Taiwan, and through this University I have my ARC every year and apply for a working permit every semester. This working permit grants me 20 hours a week of legal work without being tied to any company in specific.

Right now I work at a cram school 12 hours per week and an Elementary school in the after-class English program for 4 hours per week. Once I graduate, I will probably have my ARC sponsored by the cram school, but I still would like to work at the elementary school since they pay me more. Can I do that?

I believe the answer is no. You’re not even allowed to work at a different branch of the same school if it’s not the address you have on the ARC.

5 Likes

You can get additional work permits, I believe. The first work permit needs to be for 14 hours, the second one can add more hours up to a maximum number. I’m not sure the maximum number per week anymore.

1 Like

if the 2nd place can get a work permit for you, you can work.

The total hour should not be more than 32hr, and should not be less than 6 hr for each. Working hour for the 1st employer should not be less than 14hr. So, you can worj for up to 4 places, if teach of them get a work permits for you.

You may find most of info on work permit here.
https://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/en/cp.aspx?n=071CCB097CD05FFF

1 Like

It sounds like you have a student work permit, so you can work at as many different locations as you want, as long as you don’t exceed the maximum weekly hours or the maximum job duration (6 months).

See Regulations on the Permission and Administration of the Employment of Foreign Workers (雇主聘僱外國人許可及管理辦法) Art. 30 to 35.

If in doubt, contact the Ministry of Labor (www.mol.gov.tw) or your local labor department. Your university should also be able to answer questions about this, but perhaps they only understand how to file the application.

2 Likes

How come student work permits are infinitely more powerful than my old regular work permit? :confused:

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Things do not change, we change. — Henry Thoreau

Or to put it another way, this is not just a Taiwan thing. You may have heard of “schools” popping up in western countries just so that foreigners can get semi-open work permits.

But remember, it’s semi-open, with maximum weekly hours and maximum job duration, and only while you’re a student and all that jazz.

1 Like

OP is asking about the post graduation thing.

1 Like

This is a quirk in the relaxing of red tape in Taiwan. They gave the students 20 hour open work permits while limiting regular work permits to one employer

Ah, that’s what I get for skimming. :doh:

Yes, the previous advice is correct: once you’re in the normal work permit system, you need a separate work permit for each job.

Were student work permits invented at the same time as normal WP’s?

1 Like

However, student work permits are valid only for jobs related to the course being studied, no?

I believe student work permits in their current form were a product of the last decade. Ten years ago you’d have to have a bachelors degree to work as a student. Most student were working illegally, so the government had to address the problem.

No.

There was 外國留學生工作許可及聘僱管理辦法.

it was yes, until a few years ago.

1 Like

You can’t work a normal 40hr week? That’s weird.

cram school teachers cannot.

it turned into an open work permit with an hour/week restriction some time around 2013

1 Like

How about those with open work permits?