Can I work in Taiwan using my NWOHR Passport + TARC? I have no National ID

Hello everyone, I’m from Thailand and new to this forum. So I have the Taiwanese passport without National ID and I also have the TARC. I am starting to apply for jobs in Taiwan so I can work there and fulfill my 1 year requirement to obtain HH registration in the process. One company that has interviewed me asked me if I have a work permit and I said no and would need their help to apply, to which they said they will consult with their HR. I’m not sure if it’s the right process but this is usually the process with foreigners in Thailand - they need their employer to apply for the 3-month work visa for them before they can enter the country. I assumed the process is the same for Taiwan or I could be wrong. Please help share your knowledge, I cannot find this information anywhere else and my Chinese reading skills are limited. I’d like to know if I can apply for a work permit they talked about without the company’s support, thanks!

From what I’ve seen from some of the other threads (someone correct me if I’m wrong) it depends on your situation. As a NWOHR with a foreign nationality you do come under the Employment Service Act (Art 79) by default meaning you need to apply for a work permit unless you fit one of the situations (WDA list) where you don’t need a work permit:
WDA List

WDA List
一、不須申請工作許可情形:
1.各級政府及其所屬學術研究機構聘請外國人擔任顧問或研究工作者。(就業服務法第48條第1項第1款)
2.外國人與在中華民國境內設有戶籍之國民結婚,且獲准居留者。(就業服務法第48條第1項第2款)
3.受聘僱於公立或經立案之私立大學進行講座、學術研究經教育部認可者。(就業服務法第48條第1項第3款)
4.只具中華民國國籍且未在國內設籍者(就業服務法第79條)
5.獲准依親居留之大陸配偶或專案長期居留之大陸地區人民(兩岸條例第17條之1)。
二、入國簽證視為工作許可—度假打工:非以入國工作為主要目的之國際書面協定,其內容載有同意外國人工作、人數、居(停)留期限等者,外國人據以辦理之入國簽證,視為工作許可。(雇主聘僱外國人許可及管理辦法第4條)
三、停留期間在30日以下之入國簽證或入國許可視為工作許可(雇主聘僱外國人許可及管理辦法第5條第1項):
1.30日以下之履約工作。
2.為公益目的協助解決因緊急事故引發問題之需要,從事專門性技術性工作。
3.經各中央目的事業主管機關認定或受大專以上校院、各級政府及其所屬學術研究機構邀請之知名優秀專業人士,並從事演講或商務技術指導工作。
4.受各中央目的事業主管機關邀請,並從事非營利性質之藝文表演或體育活動。
四、停留期間在90日以下之入國簽證或入國許可視為工作許可(雇主聘僱外國人許可及管理辦法第5條第2項):經入出國管理機關(移民署)核發學術及商務旅行卡,從事演講及技術指導等。

The most common situation is if you are already married to a National with HHR (Art 48-1-2) (WDA list point 2).

A slightly different route is if you have a lineal relative that your are staying with who has a HHR right now (Art 51). You can apply for a open work permit that doesn’t limit you to what you can work as. (Usually you have a AF353 code for your TARC but not necessarily as long as you have that lineal relative with Active HHR)
https://tw.forumosa.com/t/work-in-taiwan-with-a-taiwan-passport-and-resident-certificate-card/188877/11

Maybe try to give a bit more info for your case, someone may know.

1 Like

3 Likes

As of 1/1/2024, NWOHR who was born abroad to at least one Taiwanese parent (with Taiwan ID) no longer need to stay in Taiwan for a year to obtain a Taiwan ID/household registration.

If the above situation applies to you, then you can apply for your Taiwan ID right now. Go to the NIA to obtain a piece of paper called the Residency Permit, and take it to your local household registration office to exchange for your new ID. The NIA will take your TARC back.

If the situation above doesn’t apply to you, or if you still want to live in Taiwan on your TARC, then you will require a work permit (there may be some exceptions), The work permit is not obtained by your employer. You need to apply for it yourself at the Ministry of Labor, and it will grant you open work rights so you can work for any employer.

2 Likes

Omg I did not know about this!! My lawyer friend in Taiwan told me I still need to stay for 1 year to be eligible applying for HH registration. Would you perhaps have some contact info of agencies who can provide this service?

I was indeed born outside Taiwan, to one of my taiwanese parents (my father) who had and still have active HH registration now. I would be extremely happy if I can just convert to full citizenship now.

But does this mean I would have to immediately complete the 4-month military exercise too? (I was born in 1997 so not 1 year thankfully). My worry now is I am now working overseas in Singapore, so joining military means I’d have to quit my job because no company will grant 4 months leave. Max leave I can ever take is 2 weeks.

1 Like

Please note I was over 20 at the time of applying for and obtaining NWOHR and TARC, hence the 1 year requirement, if I remember correctly. My cousins who applied the same when they were under 20 got the ID right away.

You need to be in Taiwan and do it in person.

Yes. I believe one year after obtaining your ID.

Then why do you want to obtain your ID now? You can just wait until you are ready to do your military service. Having a Taiwan ID while living in Singapore won’t benefit you in any way.

Do you have another nationality?

1 Like

No urgent reason. It’s just a long pending thing I would like to check off asap if possible. The taiwanese passport is also more useful than the Thai one for traveling. I often have business trips to Europe and I have to apply for visa every time with Thai passport, which is a time-consuming hassle.

You mentioned the military service is 1 year after obtaining the ID, not immediately? That’s hopeful, at least I can continue working in Singapore for 1 year after getting the ID and then do the military service after. Treat it as a career break, which I personally need now.

3 Likes

I think if your cousins have already have theirs done you probably know enough to do it yourself and with your relative’s help. You just need to make sure you get your police checks and whatever other required documents authenticated in TECO first (you may need to do some of the work in Thailand).

There’re a few others in the same situation planning to do the same in the near future, maybe you can look around the thread below.
@carolinabeach @Macaroni2628

For your military service issues, you can have a look at this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/taiwan/comments/o0j206/getting_household_registration_a_guide_for/

1 Like

Thank you soo much, immensely helpful information about the military service requirement. Looks like I don’t have to serve as long as I’m still living overseas, but need to get the Overseas Compatriot Status to get permission to leave Taiwan without having done military service.

Now I will need to find an agent in Taiwan to help me do this after I get to Taiwan, as my Chinese conversation skill is low. The immigration officers might shoo me away haha. Thanks again!

1 Like