Can my kids go to public schools in Taiwan during this American Winter break?

Hi, I am American citizen. I’ll go to Taiwan during this winter time to visit my Taiwanese parents who live in Taipei. Can my kids go to public schools? They don’t have Taiwanese passports or citizenship. They have American passports only.

Not if they do not have residency permits. No school (or employment) allowed for tourists.

2 Likes

not in winter, but this might be close to what you want.

Overseas children’s short-term experience in school

for this year in CHinese

4 Likes

How old are they and how many weeks to stay in Taiwan?
If just want Chinese Mandarin Immersion, there are many language schools that probably can take your kids.

My wife put our U.S. kids in Taiwan public school for a whole semester during one long visit.

Possible differences from your situation:

– Wife / mother of kids is a dual citizen (has full Taiwan citizenship and HHR)

– Kids with U.S. passports also have Taiwan NWOHR passports and entered with Taiwan passport.

– Enrolled for at least a full semester (longer fall and spring semesters, not trimester system)

– Same school my wife attended as a child, in the same place where she has HHR, so part of the local community

– Smaller town, not Taipei.

I guess that’s a lot of differences! So there may be a way to get your kids into public school, but not likely based on the facts as presented.

If it’s a short term visit and you just want to drop your kids there for a time that doesnt coincide with the school term / semester then they’ll probably say “no.” Because they could see you as causing problems ie how to fit foreign kids into their system on a time frame that doesnt match.

Public school is a beauracracy with rules and have to check their boxes. But also for liability reasons. The school is going to want to know “Whose kids are these, and why should they be in our school?”

Depending on kids’ age it will probably be more likely to enroll them in private language school. The private school will want your money and may fashion a solution for you!

1 Like

This is key.

2 Likes

Suggest have your parents enquire at the school serving their area.

Why don’t you use the opportunity to get Taiwanese citizenship for your kids. It’s not difficult.

If I go to America on vacation, can my kids go to public school?

5 Likes

Its a pretty hilarious request in my opinion,free babysitting for tourists !

3 Likes

have seen many be welcomed if they are family of students. if you have family members in the schools and their “cousins”, for example, are visiting for a few weeks, i think most schools are pretty welcoming. private schools maybe not. not sure what the official line is, but on a more personal note I havent seen the request denied before. without family in the school, I cant see it happening.

probably as a visit with their family members that are students. Back in the day, when I was a student in canada, it was fairly common for my classmates to have family from abroad join in for a week or 2. Depends in the school of course. Seems similar here from what I have seen. Just make sure they arent a bourdon

Never come across that in my life. We did have a kid from Newcastle come to school once. He came to share his language and culture.

2 Likes

They’d surely be legal and insurance issues? I suppose if a teacher agreed to it it would be their risk.

I would have thought private schools would be a better bet. At least, the lower end private schools.

Obviously, that would cost money.

Thanks, @tando!

So, you’d come across it it then?

It was common back when I was a kid in canada. it’s alsobeen common here when I was more involved in the education industry. but of course, legal liability and common practice are almost always 2 very different things.

I only assume private schools might be harder just because they are dollar based, not entitlement based, like public schools. free loaders I would just assume are less welcome. but then it also seems logical a few weeks free for fun is good marketing. see how your conversation goes with the powers that be. they are the only ones that actually matter anyway :slight_smile:

The guy from Newcastle was a resident of the UK. :joy:

He only moved 100 miles south.

Ah, I see. you saw it with domestic out of towners.

Presumably the liability would be fairly similar then, no? I mean, non students coming for free.

perhaps just tax residence reasons would be the exception with with foreigners? but liability would be no different no? Either way, I think it’s fairly normal for many schools to accept family of students for brief periods without issues. If there are no family member students, it would seem likely to be difficult outside a setup student exchange or similar program (ie. insured program).