Can normal ARC holders use airport E-Gates?

Does anyone know if we have to re-apply for egate use after switching to the new arc number?

Yes. There’s a counter you can register for e-gate at when you pick up your new card at the immigration agency. It just took a few minutes.

2 Likes

I picked up new card and reregistered it, of course with that egate sticker even added. When leaving, couldn’t use egate. Staff at airport couldn’t explain why. Might want to double check they actually register your new card so it can be used.

Was told that if you entered on old ARC (2-letter one) and left on new ARC (1-letter one), that they had to scan the passport at e-gate instead just that time to let you out into concourse.
When you re-enter Taiwan next time, it should work as you’re entering on the new ARC.

And how can we double check it?

I registered for e gate a couple months ago and didn’t get the sticker :frowning:

The sticker has no functional purpose. If you’re signed up, it’ll work—and if you’re not, it won’t, regardless of whether you have a sticker. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

I know haha. I just wanted the sticker xD

when i got the new arc card (i.e. with new number ) the NIA lady told me there was no need to re-enroll the e-gate since its connected to my passport number, not the ARC number. She said I will have to re-enroll my e-gate when i change passports.

You do like collecting things don’t you!. Me I’m more interested in the function—the fact that it works. :upside_down_face:

Guy

1 Like

Yeah I’d never actually use the e gate. I want the entry/exit stamps haha

Why? E-gate is awesome as you can breeze through.

Guy

I like having the stamps in my passport

When was the last time you left Taiwan? I thought they haven’t given stamps since at least 2019 or so.

No, not necessarily. Obviously the sticker doesn’t make a difference, but in my case being signed up wasn’t enough.

Could be because passport I entered in was replaced with new one (but still egate was renewed after new passport)

1 Like

Yikes, no idea. Maybe talk to the NIA about this?

Guy

When I enrolled 3 years ago (even without ARC, it was an accomodation for Italian passport holders to give them e-gate access even for tourism, since now TW can use e-gates in Italy like EU citizens) they didn’t gave me any sticker, but put a stamp in the last page of my passport saying e-gate enrolled. I did this at Taoyuan airport, at the booth next to immigration.

2 Likes

They still give entrance stamps, actually they rolled out a new cute design substituting the plum blossom with a silhoutte of TW. The egate sticker/stamp might be useful sometimes since some airport staff “force” foreigners to use the normal immigration lines even if you have ARC. But for some unknown reasons, if you show the sticker/stamp, they let you go with the e-gate. Random things as usual haha.

2 Likes

Last entered Taiwan in September 2020 and I was stamped. I think they still stamp

I believe you can use e-Gate and then request a stamp. Would have to ask one of the workers there.

1 Like