Can normal ARC holders use airport E-Gates?

I couldn’t figure out which way to put my ARC in the machine. It let me enter using my passport as well. So if you have an ARC you can use either your passport or ARC to enter through the e-gate

1 Like

Where is this? Landside or Airside? Easy to find? Thanks!

A roundtrip to the NIA office would take me one hour. I figured since I’ll be at the airport, doing it then might be faster. Should I take my chances? Tbh an hour wait at the airport or traveling to NIA would make me feel like skipping out on enrolling anyway. I’ll just come back and wait in the peasant lines. (hmm, actually that might be a bad idea with the current increase in incoming passengers!)

Not all NIA offices can do it. Mine can’t. I set it up at the airport, took 2 minutes.

Just wondering if you update your address/renew your ARC do you need to reregister?

1 Like

Landside.

Easy to find? I think so. It is (or it was, anyways) on the same level as the check-in counters, at least in Terminal 1. Ask at the information desk to speed things up if needed.

Guy

1 Like

There is also a small booth airside at the arrivals, just right next to the lines for immigration (very, very hidden, it’s next to the booths for manual passport inspection for residents, diplomats, APEC cards and crew). That was still closed when I landed @projectmaximus

2 Likes

Ha that’s funny, when we arrived two months ago we actually used that diplomat line. It’s one of the few perks of traveling with little kids…we got directed over to that line by the airport workers.

1 Like

if its not that important for you, take your chances with the airpot. the downside of the airport is that the desk isnt always manned (if you have an evening flight, no one will be there) and there is only 2 or 3 people doing the enrollment, so there is a chance you might wait a long time

1 Like

you need to update the e-gate only if you change your passport number, the rest doesnt matter.

1 Like

I also had to use the old machines about two months ago. The new ones didnt want to accept my ARC

Took me about 5 minutes to enroll at TPE Terminal 2. Landside across from the No 19 checkin counter. Just 1 minute to enroll and about 4 minutes to walk to and from the enrollment office. There was no line, the lady asked for my passport and ARC, then took my picture and fingerprints. She told me I can use either the passport or ARC.

When I “left Taiwan” to enter the airside, the e-gate machines I used wouldn’t read my ARC. When I switched to passport it let me through the front gate, then scanned my face and let me through the back gate. Either my ARC didn’t work because it was a new machine (someone above had that problem) or because I have not yet entered Taiwan on my ARC. We’ll find out when I return next month.

This link details all the enrollment locations in Taiwan.

https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/6928/6931/272811/

5 Likes

I returned to Taipei last night. Used my ARC to enter through the e-gates, no problem whatsoever.

4 Likes