Can ROC citizens also hold Hong Kong citizenship?

You can have an ROC passport without household registration. Can you have a PRC passport? (I think so–I think that’s what those Taiwan tourists got.) Don’t think you can have a HK SAR one, though, since you need residence to get one.

But people – particularly Africans – have ended stateless trying to immigrate to Hong Kong. Did they change the system recently?

So, you can end up stateless if you are stupid enough to renounce your old statehood before receiving confirmation you will receive the new one ?

The processing of the chinese naturalisation can take up to 12 months(what I read online, and what they told me at immigration), and perhaps for some African countries renouncing your statehood takes super long as well and these idiots didnt want to wait 12+12 but instead cancelled the old one immediately when they applied for chinese naturalisation ?

The application fee is HK$3,460. The applicant is required to pay an initial fee of HK$1,730 at the time of application, and the balance of the application fee will be collected upon issue of the certificate of naturalisation subject to the proof of not retaining his/her foreign nationality. However, the collection of fee does not constitute any guarantee or assurance that his/her application will be approved.

https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/chinese_nationality/Application_for_Naturalization_as_a_Chinese_National.html#secondTab

They do want you to show the proof of cancellation of old nationality before they issue you certificate of Chinese nationality. They just send you a letter saying that your application for naturalization will be approved if you cancel your old nationality.

https://geoexpat.com/forum/54/thread29085.html

That part seems to be new. In the cases I read about roughly 5 to 10 years ago, they were apparently told they needed to renounce first, or they wouldn’t even be allowed to apply.

In the site, they are talking on HK permanent residency and PRC household registration (深圳) in mandarin with simplified characters. Can we replace the PRC HR to ROC HR?

http://m.szhome.com/80-130060-detail-176208347.html

Actually you now get the TARC and nationality application approved before giving up original citizenship.

What about by investment? Could ROC passport holders apply for HK passport after investing there? I heard something around 850k USD and you get permanent residence. Could they use this permanent residence card to apply for the passport?

It seems residency by capital investment was suspended in 2015.

Fyi
Entrepreneurs from overseas, Taiwan and Macao who plan to establish or join in a business in Hong Kong may apply under the [GEP]

Investment as Entrepreneurs
https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/visas/investment.html

1 Like

Hong Kong does not have household registration. Hong Kong permanent residency is not necessarily tied to citizenship. But you need to be both a permanent resident and a PRC national to get the HKSAR passport. The vast majority of people who have ROC identification cards will be at the same time be PRC nationals as applied by Hong Kong. The exception is that ROC nationality law (1) does not transmit matrilineally prior to 1980 while PRC nationality did and (2) ROC nationality transmits to those born abroad in a jus soli jurisdiction to parents who had already obtained permanent residency abroad while PRC nationality does not.

I think there were 2 types of investiment visa there: the Capital Investment Entrant Scheme and the Business Investment visa. It seems it was the first that got cancelled in 2015. Anyone knows about this?

So even if you get the permanent residency there by investment you would still need to live for 7 years AND apply to be a Chinese citizen (meaning give up ROC passport?)

Do the stateless PR’s (of Indian etc. heritage, born in HK but stateless since 1997) get HK travel documents in lieu of passports?

If they are hk PRs, why would they not apply for natuarlization and hk passport if they are stateless otherwise?

Former British Dependent Territories citizens who would have been made stateless by the handover were granted full British citizenship so there aren’t many of them.

Stateless Hong Kong residents can get a Document of Identity (in the size of a passport booklet to travel with). Application for HKSAR Document of Identity for Visa Purposes | Immigration Department Chinese people who emigrated to Hong Kong but didn’t naturalize as British subjects had to use something similar prior to 1997.