Can ROC citizens also hold Hong Kong citizenship?

I understand that ROC nationals cannot hold full Chinese citizenship, but what about Hong Kong?

I’m just curious about the rules…

That topic was about PRC passports, this one is about Hong Kong ones.

There is no such thing as HK citizenship, only permanent residency.

Okay, I’ll rephrase the question, can an ROC citizen hold Hong Kong permenant residency with a Hong Kong passport?

You need to be a Chinese citizen, but please see @tando’s link. It digs deeper than it’s title suggest and addresses your question.

I know what it says, it’s my thread. It doesn’t answer this question.

It does. HK passports are PRC passports from what I understand. I don’t you can even get a HKSAR passport without being a PRC National.

Assuming you only have either HK passport or TW passport to start with, the answer is NO.

To get HK passport you need to give up your old one, I know this because I considered it(I am permanent resident of HK and could easily get the passport if I wanted to).

To get the HK passport you need to show them some document showing you gave up your old one, same as in TW you will be stateless for a while before getting your new one.

In TW as I am sure you know, you need to give up your old one as well, hence it wouldn’t work the other way around either(HK passport holder getting TW passport).

Only way I can see it happening is if you got 2 passports prior to applying for either TW or HK passport, e.g. you got a Belgian and a TW passport when applying for HK passport and only disclose the Belgian one and relinquishing that one. But, this obviously is theoretical and far fetched.

About giving up your old passport in HK, what I remember you dont need to do this until you already been approved for the HK passport.

So, there is no risk if you ending up stateless as in TW where you need to give up the old one prior to applying.

If you did it that way and then ROC authorities found out, what would happen?

you are asking weird questions, and besides I dont know.

Just accept, you can’t have both.

1 Like

I don’t want both, I’m just curious

Actually, technically a ROC national can hold a Hong Kong passport if the person was BN(O)
It would be a burgundy British passport, still recognised because I know people who kept their BN(O) status.

So in an incredibly unlikely circumstance, the answer is yes.

1 Like

Is not that far fetched though, there are actually people who have done this.

BNO passport can be renewed, but cannot not be newly issued, is this right?

Well, Hong Kong has been away for 20 years and I’ve known the guy for 10 so I’m going on a limb that he’s had to replace his passport more than once.

This is mostly wrong. There are only two categories of nationality that matter: Chinese or foreign. Holders of both HKSAR passports and ROC passports fall under that former. You only need to renounce existing nationality as part of the naturalization process.

Case 1: Taiwan person (person with ROC passport + ROC ID) either resides in Hong Kong for 7 continuous years or is born to a Chinese person with Hong Kong residency. Hong Kong considers this person a Chinese national by birth so this person can get a HKSAR passport without having to go through the naturalization process.

Person 2: Hong Kong person (HKSAR permanent identity card and passport) is either born to someone with Taiwan household registration or obtains permanent residency outside of China to qualify for a ROC passport. Taiwan already considers this person a ROC national so naturalization is not needed.

Case 3: Taiwan person moves to Hong Kong, establishes residency. Could they get a PRC / HK SAR passport without renouncing ROC citizenship? Would the ROC consider this an expatriating act? (I think it would, based on recent stories of ROC travelers who accepted PRC passports in order to travel across the Sino-Russian border.)

This is the same as case 1. The Act Governing Relations between the People of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area prohibits people from holding household registration in both the Mainland Area and the Taiwan Area. Hong Kong and Macau are excluded from the definition of the Mainland Area.

Current laws define everything in the lens of the Republic of China having de jure jurisdiction over the entire PRC.