Can Scribus do Chinese? Need free alternative

Hi… I want to put my rudimentary chinese to work and help update menus for business owners and friends… I need a free but good dtp app that will let me work with Chinese fonts.
Scribus was great until I had to add text… which was right away.
Chat GPT suggested Libre Draw. That looks good but I kind of like scribus.
Suggestions… I cannot buy software.
Also I need a good OCR that can work with Chinese.

Interestingly, we’ve had a similar thread on this issue before.

I’m on Ubuntu and hanji works fine in Scribus installed from apt, provided that you select a font with CJK characters. It won’t automatically select a fall back for missing glyphs.

If I’m not doing something especially fancy, I usually just use Inkscape.

Can Scribus open old MS Publisher Documents?

Yes, since 2014. Although like more conversions such as this, it might require some tweaking to make the converted file look exactly like how it looked on Publisher.

1 Like

I have both Libre Office and ONLYOFFICE on my Debian system, I prefer Only but thats personal choice. The files work on my Mac/ Windows computer and even handles random documents I find from years ago.

Just to note I have Chinese traditional languages packs installed system wide on all my computers this makes a big difference.

I’m on windows. That’s probably the problem. Can can Ubuntu serve as a family computer.
Who am I kidding. I don’t have the resources to dedicate a computer to do Ubuntu.
Are the USB stick booting or sharing part of the computer resources the windows and option?
I’d like to use Linux system that I can dedicate users to it right now for the money.

Guess what I’ll be downloading this PM!!! Thanks

OK. It’s a bit tricky to get the Chinese fonts displaying properly. Sometimes, editing the text box works and sometimes not! is there any way to do it automatically? I guess some kind of automated font substitution table…?

Haven’t used Windows or MAC outside of work for more than a decade now.

Make sure you have the traditional Chinese language pack installed, it helps.

I would say have a look at Slax or Linux lite to run of USB.

Got it installed but struggling with very small icons. There is no option for that that i can see! lol