Can some explain what kacka means please?

Bismarck, you forgot:

afkak

etter poes kak

I was talking to my wife about that just this morning. She said it was a joke, but I forgot what she said kaka meant. she was surprised when I told her what it meant in English.

[quote=“jimipresley”]Bismarck, you forgot:

afkak

etter poes kak[/quote]
As in, “The last two weeks the Springboks had a serious afkak against the All Blacks. This weekend we will make the Aussies afkak!”

Ultimately from the Proto-Indo-European root kakka-.[/quote]
Proto-Indo-European? What on earth is that?
Aren’t we all, when it comes right down to it, proto?
Pronto, I say!

So, what’s the deal with the meaning…

I turn on the car radio and hear one of the many promos for English language schools, done in Chinese by the way, God forbid in English, and this sexy confident girl says “I’m no English Kakka”

And of course my ears perk up and I said “What the F*** K” to myself and I usually don’t use that language. What’s up?

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]So, what’s the deal with the meaning…

I turn on the car radio and hear one of the many promos for English language schools, done in Chinese by the way, God forbid in English, and this sexy confident girl says “I’m no English Kakka”

And of course my ears perk up and I said “What the F*** K” to myself and I usually don’t use that language. What’s up?[/quote]

Yesterday I heard it a bit clearer… I am pretty sure that girl says

"Don’t call my English "

And I got the explanation from a native speaker that the word means something in Chinese like… yeah… shitty :stuck_out_tongue: OK I admit I also forgot the exact translation, but basically the girl says:

“Please don’t say my English is so bad”

OK, riddle solved. Can we close this bekackten Thread now? :smiley:

Funny how this works. What bodily function epitomized by phonics. One would have thought the K’s were more akin to lung butter, and the expurging more involving B’s and D’s. Flat or Sharp.

People actually listen to ICRT?

And while I’m here… what is with scatological humor in Taiwan. Arrested development, perhaps?

OK, I’ll descend from my high horse now.

[quote=“olm”]"Don’t call my English "

And I got the explanation from a native speaker that the word means something in Chinese like… yeah… shitty :stuck_out_tongue: OK I admit I also forgot the exact translation[/quote]

Just double checked: According to my ahem sources, kaka means “stuck”, like in a stuck door that is hard to open. So if she asks her English not to be called stuck, she kinda asks that no one tells her she has problems with English.

Anyway, what do we learn from this? Next time some idiot walks up to you, shows his betelnut-reddened teeth, says “hauuu aaaaa juuuu!”, and stands there grinning - you can probably say “Ni de ying wen hen kaka” (or however the pinyin for that stuff would be) :p. If you want to be unfriendly, that is.

[quote=“olm”][quote=“olm”]"Don’t call my English "

And I got the explanation from a native speaker that the word means something in Chinese like… yeah… shitty :stuck_out_tongue: OK I admit I also forgot the exact translation[/quote]

Just double checked: According to my ahem sources, kaka means “stuck”, like in a stuck door that is hard to open. So if she asks her English not to be called stuck, she kinda asks that no one tells her she has problems with English.

Anyway, what do we learn from this? Next time some idiot walks up to you, shows his betelnut-reddened teeth, says “hauuu aaaaa juuuu!”, and stands there grinning - you can probably say “Ni de ying wen hen kaka” (or however the pinyin for that stuff would be) :p. If you want to be unfriendly, that is.[/quote]
I don’t see you being offered binlang in the near future…

I don’t see you being offered binlang in the near future…[/quote]

Hopefully not - my only experience so far was OK, but nothing I need in the near future. I strongly prefer Alcohol.

And don’t worry, normally I am friendly to such locals, even to obvious idiots. Doesn’t matter if anyone gets annoyed by that kind of attention, I still like it much better than a lot of other possible reactions to foreigners…

“Paved Paradise, put up a parking lot”

“My ENglishee so kaka because i only ICRT listen.”

Here I fixed that for you :wink:

I heard this bizarre ad again this morning. At the end she quite clearly says ‘Don’t call me (sic) English ca-ca.’

Surely this is some kind of joke along the lines of ‘my hovercraft is full of eels’?

I have no idea why anyone would use a made-up, offensive, nonsense phrase like this to promote an English cram school. Why, it’s almost as if Kojen has absolutely no idea what it’s doing.

Actually I heard it again yesterday, and you are right. It’s clearly “me” not “my”. Still, my TWese source claims it simply means “don’t call me english-stuck” like “don’t call me stuck with english = challenged by english”… and she thinks it’s a pretty correct sentence.

Well, that would make sense. But it’s not good enough just to claim that a word means something; there needs to be evidence. Personally I’ve never heard ca-ca/kaka to mean anything other than ‘shit’, and I can’t find any evidence for it meaning anything else either (except for ‘kaka’, which is apparently some kind of New Zealand parrot).

So on what basis does it now suddenly mean ‘stuck’? Is this a nonce-word? A loan-word? Some local Chinglish slang? Do you have any sources or references for this alleged meaning? Does this new meaning have any currency whatever among actual English speakers?

Assuming that you’re a native English speaker, is this also your opinion? Do you think this is in fact an acceptable sentence?

BTW is ‘English ca-ca’ supposed to be some kind of insult? As in, ‘Don’t call me stupid/fatty/English ca-ca’?

We are talking about a word from Chinese, right? The characters should be “卡卡”.

According to several web sites, “卡” seems to have two different pinyin equivalents: “kǎ” or “qiǎ”. And the second one seems to be a verb that can mean “stuck”. One source:

chinese-tools.com/tools/sino … =%E5%8D%A1 (click on definition under “qiǎ”)

Assuming that you’re a native English speaker, is this also your opinion? Do you think this is in fact an acceptable sentence?[/quote]

I’m afraid I am not an native English speaker, and neither is the native TWese “source”. And as far as I can tell it’s not an “acceptable” sentence, but simply a joke in mixed English / Chinese, found in a supposedly funny cram school commercial on ICRT.

Edit: here’s another discussion about that: forum.gamer.com.tw/C.php?page=1& … 1&snA=1327

It’s not Chinglish slang, it’s Taiwanese/Mandarin slang. The “kaka” indeed means “stuck”. It’s from Taiwanese “kheh-kheh” and is often written 卡卡 in Mandarin. The ad is not aimed at “actual English speakers”, it’s aimed at learners, so using slang which appeals to them is the way to go. But correct English? Of course not.

I do not want to buy this record, it is scratched!