Can someone help me to find a place to buy a Sangean shortwave radio SG-622?

While I agree that hams can serve some niche utility, it’s a fact that their real world use amongst amateurs has dropped hugely. None of the catastrophic problems you mention with cell phone towers has happened anywhere in the world. Even with cyclones, earthquakes, etc going on, infrastructure like cell towers, electric lines is brought back up pretty soon.

This is worth research. I will read up on what you say. I liked the ability of having point to point communication without relying on infrastructure.
I also enjoyed the camradere of belonging to a CB/Ham Radio club. I also enjoyed the experience listening to strangers and possibly helping them when they pass through town.
This totally on line thing is missing something for me

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply. Sadly I was not able to find the radio. The SG-622 model is currently out of production and is out of stock in all major stores.

I was able to buy one in 2018 from Amazon and I wanted to get another one for my mom. There is some nostalgia factor on this as I like an analog tunning nob and also it is more convenient for reception.

I contacted Sangean and unlike some comments from above they did replied to my email and suggested me an improved digital model. I was hesitant to purchase but some months ago I took my chances and purchased it from HRO (Ham radio outlet). They ship to any country so thats fine for me.

The ATS-405 model is good and I can say it is a nice succesor to older digital and analog receivers of comparable capabilities, namely the former ATS-404. It has a nice carrying bag and some goodies that you may enjoy. And if you want, you may buy an external antenna which goes by the code ANT-100. It has an attach clip for the extendable arm antenna in the radio, and you can use it also in models that come with an external antena jack, because it has a special stereo jack for that.

So if you don’t mind, maybe you can try that.

As for the SG-622, there might be a chance that Sangean reissues this as an anniversary edition just like they did for model WR-11SE. But I think for that, it may have to gather some popularity and perhaps requests from enthusiasts and aficionados like us. Who knows?.

I am not sure but it may still be found in some small appliances stores which carries Sangean products in Taipei, but I am not sure. Perhaps in some flea market or who knows?.

I was recommended to be careful with some online resellers from stores like Ebay or some chinese ebay similar sites from Taiwan as in terms of condition it might not be as new as they might claim.

Now if you have some spare time and have some knowledge in electronics, you may build your own SW receiver. It only needs a tank circuit, that is a good tunning capacitor and a coil so that the resonance frequency matches with the desired band you want. This of course requires an amplification stage and all that. But I believe the purchasing route is more easier, but in some way lesser fun.

By the way there is this guy Radio JayAllen who has this site where he reviews all sorts of radios and has reviewed the ATS-405. I contacted him, he has worked with CBS radio and is a nice person and replies for any questions that you may have. It is also noted that his recommendations and reviews are mentioned in the official Sangean’s site.

Bottomline, I do suggest that if you have the funds and still interest, might give a try on what I said above and also try going for a walk yourself and see what you can find.

I hope this may have helped you. And if you have any news about this I will appreciate that you share it with me.

1 Like