Can Taiwanese speak Japanese?

Can taiwanese speak japanese?

A few really old people can. Some people have learned it as a foreign language. But basically no. Why would you expect them to?

1 Like

I just happened to see a video on this today, but I didn’t watch it.

1 Like

My grandfather and.brother can. Have met many others that can. I cant so to be fair i cant tell if they are good or just yanking my.chain…

Quite a bit to take in, and I really enjoyed it, although it was sad in some places. Thanks for posting it.

1 Like

No.

The older generations that lived in the Japanese times died off and maybe some other family members are still around mostly in the south.

Japanese is hardly even a common language to go to language school as a second language.

Are a few here and there and some language schools.

But generally Taiwanese do not speak Japanese.

For me as a Japanese speaker I will say more than I thought (Basic answer is very old and 18-30 age range) , and many in 20’s or Uni students age as they study it for culture and other reasons. I can go my Family Mart now and speak in Japanese to maybe age 20 clerks (Pretty good 99% in Japanese) as well some other shops and restaurants. They ask about my background as I am mixed and if I can speak Japanese then off it goes (seems they also like to Practice as well know about about Japan). Quite a few people travel (before) COVID to Japan so there also share their travel stories, more so than asking me about my Western background.

6 Likes

Also as a Japanese speaker up in the north I’ve barely met anyone who can speak Japanese.

Just once or twice in a year, around 25 years old.

What… all 24 million of them?? Could your question be any more broad? Yes, some can speak Japanese. And some can’t.

5 Likes

My grandparents can, but they’re dead.

My mom has a common Japanese name.

My grandfather did.

Demonslayer. Jojo. Attack of the titans.
My kid is nuts about anime and the classmates are too.

2 Likes

My wife and her brothers and sister, and a lot of contemporaries (people now in their 60s), had Japanese use names. My father-in-law could speak Mandarin, but my mother-in-law couldn’t, only Amis and Japanese.
I knew my wife by her Japanese name, and she knew knew me as Mai-ke. When we got married in Hong Kong, I had to stumble through her Mandarin name, and she had to make it through my multi-syllable first-middle-last name, leaving the judge to question “Do you two actually know each other?”

5 Likes

Very good answer, but as to the simplicity of the question, I should warn you that there are people like me in the world, who sometimes put so many conditions on a question or statement that it practically ceases to have any communicative value.

There are some very elderly people who spent their childhoods attending schools where Japanese was the medium of instruction. I know one such person. She’s about 90 years old.

There are some younger people who learned Japanese through study and by living in Japan. I have met some.

But most Taiwanese people don’t speak Japanese, except for a few words borrowed into the Taiwanese language.

3 Likes

Theres the slightly uounger old people as well that worked for.japanese companies here. Quite a few still alive. Have met quite a few people from.japan, lived in japan, worked for.japan or studies japanese here. Wouldnt say its common, but also far from rare. Where i live many old japanese houses are still around. I live in one such house that was the transition from.japan to kmt rule type construction. Basically japanese ish but shitty chinese style quality haha. Lots of japanese stuff around the island.

There are a few Japanese study group like this. Attended once. I met some who speak Japanese very well.