Can you actually rent a 'house' in Taipei? (without breaking the bank!)

Hi all,
Do you know if there is anywhere in Taipei city where you can rent a house instead of an apartment? Not a villa, but just a three or four bedroomed house?
Thanks so much!
KC

sure, you can find some house to rent. Houses (in the normal definition) are usually up in north Taipei (Yangmingshan or Tienmu). You can also consider townhouses in Tienmu, Neihu around Dahu Lake, or Hsintien (south of Taipei).

Budget?

90% of housing in Taipei are flats. There are huge flats available, over 150 pings, but those cost a fortune.
The only affordable “houses” are the older 3 floor homes. Typically you cant rent those, most are only up for sale. But you can try.
Northern Taipei has homes like that. More like townhouses.

Budget wise, what would be breaking the bank for you?

NT$ 70,000 a month - I’m just taking a wild guess here!

Wild answer here is that yes, NT$70,000 could find you something up on Yangmingshan or in a townhouse (with 2-3 floors for one unit) around Neithu’s Dahu Lake or elsewhere.

Can you or your wife/spouse read Chinese to search a rental website (or google translate)?

https://www.591.com.tw/#

Thanks so much! No, neither of us can read Chinese but we have friends who can help. :slight_smile:

I did a quick search on 591.com for a townhouse. Nothing in your budget. This is all I could find.
Screenshot_20180220-021616Screenshot_20180220-021620
Both pictures are the same place. 4 bedrooms and 3 baths. But we are talking 90,000 a month for it.

Aha! found one for you under budget. :grinning:
Screenshot_20180220-022714Screenshot_20180220-022720Screenshot_20180220-022723Screenshot_20180220-022731Screenshot_20180220-022745
All photos are the same house. 4 bedrooms.

Good find. You should be an agent. :grin:
Monthly mgmt fee is NT$5700, so just makes the budget, though the minimum leasing time is 2 years. Your local Taiwanese friends could probably haggle about that (along with 2 months’ deposit).

1 Like

Thanks so much!! Great job! :blush:

1 Like

I bet they could negotiate to have the landlord pay the monthly mngmnt fee. Worth a shot.

Back of xindoan on the hill you can rent houses. Thry are reasonably priced.
Also up towards Wulai and Ankeng, lots of communities. Also xiao bitan area.

Newbies with no Chinese may not be able to hack those areas too well though.

I second Wulai and Ankeng. However, they are not in Taipei, but New Taipei City, instead…

Correct.
Ain’t too many houses in Taipei city to choose from ,budget or no budget!

I used to think there were only the older huge houses. I noticed over the holidays there are a bunch of new townhouses and house complexes. Quite nice and affordable.

Where please ?

Just go onto 591 and do a search. Google can translate the site in Chrome if you need to.

Right across Xiaobitan into Ankeng. Follow bus 647 route.

I don’t need translation. Thanks Icon.

Wulai you get the cherry blossoms and access to mountains. Ankeng will have its own mrt line and you have snow in winter.

Note: both places require serious heating in winter but at least you won’t deal with huge power bills in summer.

Prices will be a lot lower than 70k.