Can you negotiate public school contract with MOE?

I wonder if any of public school teachers in here managed to negotiate contract for a public school position?
There are a few things I want to negotiate for 2023/24 and wonder if I stand a chance.

Thanks.

Maybe this coming year, given they’ve lowered the standards sooooo much for who’s allowed to be a “teacher”. Id be interested to know if anyone succeeds.

Can you provide any examples, please?

Thanks

highly doubtful that you’ll be able to negotiate anything with them.

I doubt you can negotiate anything to do with your salary.

You might be able to negotiate little things with your school, especially if your just renewing the contract. By little things I mean like working from home during the winter or summer break, allowing your annual leave to roll over to the next year. More than likely these would just be verbal agreements too.

One thing that was negotiated on the Taichung city government contracts was the ability to use the free tickets to fly to ANY country… However it hasn’t seemed to carry on to the new MOE contracts

AFAIK salaries are regulated by the government, I don’t think they can be negotiated. They list open positions, requirements and salary along with other conditions.

Omg. The nightmares I’m hearing about flight allowances this year. A lot of “your wife didn’t fly into Taiwan within three months of your arrival and is therefore ineligible for the reimbursement”. Some schools even saying “you didn’t fly in from the country on your passport, therefore you don’t get reimbursed”.

I wanna know who at the MOE owns multiple properties and at least one nice car. Look to them go ask why they’re magically unable to fund the bare minimum in the FET program this year…

2 Likes

I have heard a few stories of teachers been farmed out to local bushibans and not been paid for it or housing allowance only given if you live at a certain address

Ha i was once even offered a job that paid the max 92000nt or whatever it is… They just neglected to say you need a phd and 10 years in the program or something… After repeated questions they admitted they deliberately misled me in correspondence.

Overall the offers dont seem that great.

I decided to stay in my current line of work.

I had the conversation with my mentors and they agreed to include all the changes I requested in my new contract for next school year. It was a productive meeting, I was direct with the things I didn’t like in my contract and I simply told them either they changed them or I would be leaving. I straight away heard them saying they would change my contract for 2023/2024 year. Happy with the results!

1 Like

Seriously. My school jerked me around for three months with some pretty creative excuses.

“Well you live in Taiwan so you didn’t fly here to work, you just flew home, so we won’t pay you”

“Your wife is Taiwanese so we won’t pay you”

“You bought your ticket before your first day of work so it’s outside of the contract time so we won’t pay you” (this one especially???, how do they expect me to get here then?)

“You took a vacation, you weren’t just seeing your parents, so we won’t pay you”

And the flip side: “No Taiwanese teacher gets paid to see their parents, it’s unfair if we pay you to do so, so we won’t pay you”

And finally: “The accountants have said no and it’s final, so we won’t pay you”

1 Like

Why? What difference does it make as it is not relevant to contracts MOE offers.

It sounds like a reverse Goodfellas

Why? Because they get their money from not following the contracts. There was money allocated for the FET to have a housing stipend and airfare stipend. The contract states that that money goes to the FET to cover it. FET doesn’t demand it/school 沒辦法s them until they give up, someone is getting a very nice fat self-gifted :red_gift_envelope:. I know many people who are quite open about how they literally steal government money from projects. I have, in fact, been invited to make money this way. It would be just my luck for my decision to “do what every one else is doing” and be investigated, fined heavily, and deported, so I tell them to go have fun and share their wealth by treating me to dinner at times.

No they don’t they get it from salary. They don’t get to put contract money in their own pockets do they?

Really? When has this every happened?

Yes they do. They submit a flight reimbursement form and then pocket the money instead of giving the money to the FET. Then they drag their feet and justify why the FET doesn’t deserve the money until the FET either threatens them with legal action and they have to give back that money or the FET gives up and they’ve made 5,000 USD with ease.

It hasn’t, but it would be my luck to join in on such a scheme and be the one to get investigated. Or are you suggesting I should play these games with my freedom?

So what would you get deported for in this fairytale situation? What so called crime and criminal conviction would you have?