Can you register a house in two people’s names?

Long story short, a relative wants to register a house half in my wife’s name, and half in my wife’s brother’s name. Is that even possible?

Sure

Very common.

Its why so many old traditional houses sit empty, family feuds.

6 Likes

In Australia, where there are multiple owners, its done in two ways at the time of purchase, though it can be changed later.

1. Joint Tenants is the terminology used - all parties own the land (and whatever improvements are on it) and in the event of one parties death, ownership stays with the survivor(s).
  2. Tenants in Common - each party owns an agreed % and upon death, that % is passed to whoever inherits the deceased’s assets - which could be more than one person.

Of course, the Taiwan Inheritance Rules could make things more complex.

Wasn’t there another issue where you could put an unlimited number of names on a property in Taiwan and one person wouldn’t agree out of 20 and that’s it, sale can’t proceed?

All owners would have to agree to a sale.

My partner is involved in one, inherited from relatives, about 10 of them own it. Each has to pay the share of Taxes on it too.

Split up the taxes wouldn’t be so bad. You just have to hope when it’s time to sell everyone agrees

That’s the trouble with any property that is owned by more then one person - all of them have to agree to a sale. It wouldn’t be unique to Taiwan.

Its even tough with just two owners - imagine if you want to sell but your spouse doesnt.

You would be amazed how much taxes add up sometimes. Taiwan isnt lile many western countries that go after and threaten you. Well maybe in cities? So its not uncommon to not pay for decades (like every landlord i have ever had here haha).