:Canada: VISA run (for Canadian)

OK so I’m sure it’s all been said b4, but…

Canadian guy here… I’ve been teaching (in Tainan) for 2 years now, and it looks like I might have to make a visa run (because of a government “mishap”). My ARC expires August 5, so I gotta run indeed…

I’ve been hearing horror stories about Hong Kong (visa-wise I mean), so I’m thinking of avoiding that place…

Here are my questions:

[b] 1) What’s the next best bet? Bangkok?

1. If so, where to, in Bangkok? Does some1 have the address of the place? (What is the place called?)

2. How long would I have to stay there? How long does it take to process?

3. And… What kind of VISA exactly will I be asking them for? (I’m thinking I probably can’t nor shouldn’t tell them it’s for work).

4. How long a VISA can I ask for? 1 month? 2? 3? 6?

5. Lastly (and unrelated), does one need to get out of Taiwan to go from a work (or visitor) VISA to a student VISA? [/b]

I know, some questions seem rather silly and retarded, but I’m what you can call a “scaredy-cat”, and not at all pleased with the idea of having to leave. I’ve had a friend who recently had to make the run, only to find out he couldn’t come back, leaving all he has here, including his girlfriend! (but, really, that’s another story, and I’m not getting into that). I also want to make this post helpful for other scaredy-cats out there afraid to ask un-macho questions.

That is all. Thanks for your help fellows.

I’ve been to Hong Kong three times for visas. Most of the “horror” stories you hear are from people who went there unprepared. Simply call the Hong Kong TECO office and ask what documents you will need. It really is as simple as that.

A work visa can not be changed to a student visa in Taiwan. A new visitor visa (for the purpose of study) is needed. Please remember to bring all relevant paperwork with you to the TECO office.

Best of luck.

Ok thanks, so Hong Kong it is then, but…

There is still the matter of the unanswered Qs:

1. How long would I have to stay there? How long does it take to process? 1 night? 2 nights?

2. What kind of VISA exactly will I be asking them for? (I’m thinking I probably can’t nor shouldn’t tell them it’s for work, right?)

3. How long a VISA can I hope for? (the longer the better)

xiexieni

Hi hoodookidd,

It sounds like you are very confused and it’s hard to follow your line of questioning.

If you wish to avoid HK because they are strict, that’s fine. Alternatives are Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur.

You are flying during peak season so prices are typical for peak season. Our office can get tickets between NTD ~9500+ and NTD ~13000+. I’ll PM you with further details.

[quote=“hoodookidd”]
Here are my questions:

[b] 1) What’s the next best bet? Bangkok?

1. If so, where to, in Bangkok? Does some1 have the address of the place? (What is the place called?)[/quote]

Bangkok’s TECO office as already been posted. It is:
20th Floor, Empire Tower
195 South Sathorn Road,
Yannawa, Bangkok 10120
Thailand
Phone: (+66-2)670-0228
Fax: (+66-2)670-0229

Call them.

[quote=“hoodookidd”]
3) How long would I have to stay there? How long does it take to process?

1. And… What kind of VISA exactly will I be asking them for? (I’m thinking I probably can’t nor shouldn’t tell them it’s for work).[/quote]

How long it takes to process depends on several factors. What visa you’re applying for is important, what supporting documents you have with you is very important. If you’re working and you need a work resident visa then that’s what you should get.

With work resident visa applications, bring your employer documentation (i.e. job offer or appointment letter, contract etc)

[quote=“hoodookidd”]
5) How long a VISA can I ask for? 1 month? 2? 3? 6?[/quote]

Advise against getting a visitor or other visa and coming in to work. However, if you intend to, then the typical visa would be 60-days, (extendable or not depends).

[quote=“hoodookidd”]
6) Lastly (and unrelated), does one need to get out of Taiwan to go from a work (or visitor) VISA to a student VISA? [/b][/quote]

To change from a work ARC to a student ARC you need to make a visa jump and apply for a new visa at your favorite TECO destination.

Probably because your friend messed up his visa and work status completely. This won’t happen to you because you’re smarter than your friend and asking for advice :slight_smile:

Ok really now.

Can’t anyone tell me how long it takes to get a Visa???

I’m sure someone has made the run to Bangkok before!

If I plan on getting there on a Thursday afternoon, can I expect to get my Visa the next day (Friday)? Or the Saturday after that? Are they open on Saturday?

It’s just a Visa, a regular Visa run. Mine is expiring, and now I want to renew it.

Also, and this is a legit question: Does it really matter if it’s for work purposes or not? Like a visitor Visa takes less time to make or what? I don’t get it. This is because I DON’T KNOW. This is my first time, and I need to plan my trip. (My personal) Doomsday is coming, so please help!

I was thinking of leaving on Thursday morning (from Kaohsiung), try to get to the Bangkok RoC Office before the end of the day so I could get my Visa the day after. Am I dreaming? Should I extend my stay in Bangkok until the Monday after, just in case? HELP HELP HELP.

Er, thank you.

It might just be faster and clearer if you called the Bangkok TECO office directly. They would have the most up-to-date information about your situation.

Now why didn’t I think of that… Duh!

Ok then, I still have 1 more question though. Excuse the paranoia but…

Aren’t they going to find it fishy over there, when they see my Resident Visa (expiring)? I’m afraid they’ll ask me a bunch of questions, like: You have been working in Taiwan for 2 years, and now you just want to go visit? Are you planning on working again? What should I say? Yes? No? I don’t know?

See, my visa is expiring next week, and I’ve worked at the same school for 2 years. Now I don’t have a new school lined up yet, I want to do that when I come back with my “new” visa… So… I go there, ask for a new 2-month visitor Visa, fine… But they’ll look at my passport and conclude that I’m going to go work there again… Aah, the anguish…

[quote=“hoodookidd”]

Aren’t they going to find it fishy over there, when they see my Resident Visa (expiring)? I’m afraid they’ll ask me a bunch of questions, like: You have been working in Taiwan for 2 years, and now you just want to go visit? Are you planning on working again? What should I say? Yes? No? I don’t know?

…But they’ll look at my passport and conclude that I’m going to go work there again… Aah, the anguish…[/quote]

I’m in a similar situation, but I’ve only been working here since April. My first job was part time with very scattered hours, but as I didn’t have any experience I took it. For various reasons I left after 3 months to go to a new full time job, where I’ve been for a few weeks. My ARC transfer is taking a long time as for some reason the work permit hasn’t come through yet. On Wednesday Foreign Affairs gave me 2 weeks (til August 10th) to get the work permit or go on a visa run. The work permit has been complicated by the fact that I’m in the midst of moving apartments so they’re confused about where I’m living, but that’s another story. If I do have to go on a visa run it’ll be because the work permit hasn’t come through, in which case a new resident visa isn’t an option. That leaves the choice of either a 60 day visitor visa or a landing stamp, meaning I’ll have to exit again for another resident visa. I’m worried that if I try for a visitor visa I’ll get refused because they’ll guess that I’m going to be working.

Actually, know what? Everything worked out for me in the end.

You know how?

Go to your local Police Affair Thingamajig (what’s it called?), the place where you would normally go in the city where you live to get your ARC renewed. Anyway, go there, bring from your school proof that they have asked the Council of Legal Affairs for a work permit (the document you’re waiting for). The person at your school knows what I’m talking about. Bring this paper and ask for a visa extension. They will give you a 1 month extension, to the cost of 1K$ NT. Simple as that.

Now how no one knew about this, is really a mystery. But there you go.

Good luck.

Perhaps if you actually spelled out your situation clearly, you would have got the answer.
You wrote about a government mishap, without specifying what.
You got perfect answers for the questions you posted. Be a bit effing grateful for that next time.