Canadian man convicted of bomb plots in Europe

google.com/hostednews/afp/ar … kIGXBV6CWg

[quote]Quebec court finds man guilty of bomb plot in Germany, Austria
(AFP) – 1 day ago

MONTREAL — A Quebec court on Thursday found a Moroccan living in Canada guilty of terrorism for promoting jihad and plotting attacks in Germany and Austria.

Said Namouh, 36, was found guilty of four charges under Canada’s Anti-Terrorism Act, including “conspiracy to deliver, discharge or detonate an explosive or lethal device in a public place,” said a prosecution statement.

The other charges were “participating in the activities of a terrorist group, facilitating terrorist activities and extortion of a foreign government for the benefit, at the direction and in association with a terrorist group.”

Namouh was arrested in September 2007 for engaging in more than 1,000 online conversations and producing videos praising violent attacks on US soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as helping distribute ransom demands for kidnappers of a British journalist in Gaza.

In online postings, he also touted his explosives expertise and threatened future attacks in Germany and Austria because of their military roles in Afghanistan.
[/quote]

Well that blows. So much for Canada’s image around the world. :doh:

Yeah, yeah, I know, he was born in Morocco, he wasn’t one of us.
It just disturbs me, how many more there must be.

I hope the government is on the ball and catches whoever he was partnering with. The Toronto 18 were bad enough, we do not need people like this committing terror in Europe and the headlines there, unlike ours, will call him not a Moroccan but a Canadian.

The only solution I can think of to this problem are unthinkable. It’s like were helpless.

I guess what surprises me the most is that the USA wasn’t a target. Europe is more important to terrorists now? What could it mean?

Well, he couldn’t teach English, could he?

No Canadians were harmed during the production of this post.

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]Well that blows. So much for Canada’s image around the world. :doh:

Yeah, yeah, I know, he was born in Morocco, he wasn’t one of us. [/quote]
A rather daft statement.

Under that scheme, how many Canadians “aren’t one of us”?

[quote=“Stats Can”]New data from the 2006 Census show that the proportion of Canada’s population who were born outside the country reached its highest level in 75 years.

The census enumerated 6,186,950 foreign-born in Canada in 2006. They represented virtually one in five (19.8%) of the total population, the highest proportion since 1931, when 22.2% of the population was foreign-born. [/quote]

Oh yes, and my daughter was born in Taipei. Not ‘one of us’?

[quote=“Jaboney”][quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]Well that blows. So much for Canada’s image around the world. :doh:

Yeah, yeah, I know, he was born in Morocco, he wasn’t one of us. [/quote]
A rather daft statement.

Under that scheme, how many Canadians “aren’t one of us”?

[quote=“Stats Can”]New data from the 2006 Census show that the proportion of Canada’s population who were born outside the country reached its highest level in 75 years.

The census enumerated 6,186,950 foreign-born in Canada in 2006. They represented virtually one in five (19.8%) of the total population, the highest proportion since 1931, when 22.2% of the population was foreign-born. [/quote]

Oh yes, and my daughter was born in Taipei. Not ‘one of us’?[/quote]

Jabloney, that’s just different, at least in my mind. Your daughter has you as an influence, and Taiwan isn’t a terrorist hotbed.

Namouh never had a Canadian daddy to teach him Canadian values. Namouh emigrated as an adult and he never intended to adopt Canadian values, at least it doesn’t seem so by his behavior.

I think you understand the difference.

One in five Canadians are foreign-born? :astonished: Is there any breakdown anywhere about what country they were born in? And how many of them had a Canadian parent living in that country?

Jabloney,

Just look at this:
thestar.com/gta/crime/article/705664

[quote]When testifying about a three-month camp he attended when he was about 13 or 14, Khadr explained that learning about basic weapons training, rocket launchers, grenade launchers and how to detonate explosives, were part of the “Muslim culture” and part of growing up in Afghanistan.

“Afghanistan is not Canada, it’s a country that’s been going through war,” said the Canadian-born Khadr, who grew up moving between Canada, Pakistan and Afghanistan.

“When you go fishing, you fish with a bomb, you don’t fish with a fishing rod.”

Learning how to use a grenade or rocket launcher is part of growing up there, he said, adding, “if you live in Afghanistan or Pakistan, a grenade launcher is in every house… It’s something everyone has.”

[/quote]

Different “Canadian” terrorist, same shizz. These people are NOT NOT NOT one of us. I can’t welcome them that way.

But I mean no disrespect towards your daughter. I’m sure she’s really cute. :bow:

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]Jabloney,

Just look at this:
thestar.com/gta/crime/article/705664

[quote]When testifying about a three-month camp he attended when he was about 13 or 14, Khadr explained that learning about basic weapons training, rocket launchers, grenade launchers and how to detonate explosives, were part of the “Muslim culture” and part of growing up in Afghanistan.

“Afghanistan is not Canada, it’s a country that’s been going through war,” said the Canadian-born Khadr, who grew up moving between Canada, Pakistan and Afghanistan.

“When you go fishing, you fish with a bomb, you don’t fish with a fishing rod.”

Learning how to use a grenade or rocket launcher is part of growing up there, he said, adding, “if you live in Afghanistan or Pakistan, a grenade launcher is in every house… It’s something everyone has.”

[/quote]

Different “Canadian” terrorist, same shizz. These people are NOT NOT NOT one of us. I can’t welcome them that way.

But I mean no disrespect towards your daughter. I’m sure she’s really cute. :bow:[/quote]

Let’s do the math. He’s 36, and he studied at a camp when he was 13.

36-13=23

2009-23= 1986

What was happening in 1986 in Afghanistan? Who would have been doing that training? Who supplied those weapons? What would the purpose of them have been?

Why, the boy was a great freedom fighter, bravely learning to defend his country against Soviet communist oppression, courtesy of Ronald Reagan and the CIA.

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]One in five Canadians are foreign-born? :astonished: Is there any breakdown anywhere about what country they were born in? And how many of them had a Canadian parent living in that country?[/quote]Check Stats Can.

You’ll have to reconcile yourself to understanding the true nature of the country: it’s a country of immigrants. Has been for more than a hundred years. And throughout that time, the majority of the most recent immigrants did not have a Canadian parent in their country of origin. It’s one of the strengths of the country - and culture - that you need not be born to it to be of it, and integral to it.

I’ll thank you to put a finer point on “these people”.

‘Canadian Values’? What on earth are they? Are they like ‘Canadian Cuisine’?
As Jaboney rightly elucidates, any element of Canadian culture owes it’s basic premise to that of another country or region.

Unless, of course, one assumes that the real Canadians are derived from what’s left of Native culture.

Pemmican, anyone?

Terrorism against Canadians is not a Canadian value.

[quote]Members of the Toronto 18 planned to use three U-Haul vans filled with fertilizer bombs. One parked outside the Toronto Stock Exchange would carry at least two tonnes, enough to bring down the building and three surrounding blocks. Another truck would be parked near the Front St. offices of Canada’s spy agency. Glass would shatter into the streets, cars would flip and roads would be torn apart.

And the third bomb would go off at a military base somewhere along Highway 401, between Toronto and Ottawa. To maximize the destruction, Amara wanted to place metal chips inside the bombs.

Amara bragged that just one of the three bombs would be comparable with the 2003 bombing in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, which killed 35 people and wounded more than 200.

And he was emphatic that the attack, which his right-hand man dubbed the Battle of Toronto, would be bigger than the London subway bombing of 2005, which killed 56 people and injured 700.

[/quote]

That’s Un-Canadian.

[quote]In December 2005, Amara helped organize a jihadi training camp in Washago, Ont., which was attended by police agent Mubin Shaikh.

Potential recruits, from Scarborough and Mississauga, played paintball games, ran obstacle courses and underwent firearms training.

Amara videotaped a co-accused delivering a speech urging attendees to wage war on the West.
[/quote]

That’s Un-Canadian too.

I won’t call people who plan such things Canadians. They are just tourists with passports. This is all.

Twaddle Of The First Order!
Hasn’t one studied The Riel rebellion, and those short lived booze filled upper ontarian rebellions?
Grape Shot.
And how about the Mohawks?
Or are you that insular?
:loco:

GingerMan,

You have to be putting me on. I see where you are coming from, but sometimes I feel like we are witnessing the death of our own civilization, and doing nothing to stop it.

And I don’t think we “deserve” it for what we have done in the past to First Nations people.

Sometimes you just have to fight. Are you content watching us go down the downward spiral?

Another ridiculous comment.

Another ridiculous comment.[/quote]

I respect you, Jabloney, and I find sense and wisdom in a lot of your posts, but we are just not on the same page here. ame goes for GingerMaN.

Don’t you think a person should be stripped of their citizenship if they are found guilty of terrorism against, well, anyone, but especially fellow Canadians?

You can’t possibly be arguing that terrorism is a Canadian value. I don’t believe that you are, but what are you arguing?

Can we just re-define our national identity as “We don’t know who we are, but we know what we’re not, and we’re not terrorists.”

Oh hell, just as I wrote that, I find this:
theglobeandmail.com/news/wor … le1319983/

[quote]Four terrorists, including a bomb-maker, were released from prison in the African nation of Mali in exchange for the freedom this year of Canadian diplomats Robert Fowler and Louis Guay, high-ranking government sources in Mali have confirmed.

known as al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM). The group, formed in 2006 after a merger between al-Qaeda and an Algerian-based terrorist group, seeks to expel Westerners and set up an Islamic theocracy in Africa

Sources say that the British government complained to Canada about its willingness to let Mali negotiate with the kidnappers, arguing that Ottawa had “betrayed international convention.” [/quote]

Article is long but worth reading. The jist: Terrorism appears to be a Canadian value after all. :frowning:

Another ridiculous comment.[/quote]

I respect you, Jabloney[/quote]
Really? Then get the name right.

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]Don’t you think a person should be stripped of their citizenship if they are found guilty of terrorism against, well, anyone, but especially fellow Canadians? [/quote]No.

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]You can’t possibly be arguing that terrorism is a Canadian value. I don’t believe that you are, but what are you arguing?It’s a tactic, not a value.

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]Can we just re-define our national identity as “We don’t know who we are, but we know what we’re not, and we’re not terrorists.”[/quote][/quote]Careful: I might just redefine it to leave you on the outside looking in.

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]Oh hell, just as I wrote that, I find this:
theglobeandmail.com/news/wor … le1319983/

[quote]Four terrorists, including a bomb-maker, were released from prison in the African nation of Mali in exchange for the freedom this year of Canadian diplomats Robert Fowler and Louis Guay, high-ranking government sources in Mali have confirmed.

known as al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM). The group, formed in 2006 after a merger between al-Qaeda and an Algerian-based terrorist group, seeks to expel Westerners and set up an Islamic theocracy in Africa

Sources say that the British government complained to Canada about its willingness to let Mali negotiate with the kidnappers, arguing that Ottawa had “betrayed international convention.” [/quote]

Article is long but worth reading. The just: Terrorism appears to be a Canadian value after all. :frowning:[/quote]

Yep, bad bad bad. You can tell the Malians weren’t happy about this- and Harper saying “if some other government paid the money”- you mean like Mali being forced to hand over Canadian aid?

And if it was some regular schmoe aid worker instead of being someone connected, they’d probably still be rotting out there.

Not really.
Well, perhaps just a little. You speak mainly in terms of the general, with not much emphasis on the nuance. You’ve been sucking up too much local propaganda.
Canada is a mosaic of microscopic kalediscopes that each revolve around their own historical experiences. Mainly ties to former Colonial powers, or trade links. As I’m sure most are aware, our new Lord lies south of the 49th.

Which civilization is that, Canadian?
Don’t make me hurl!
:sick:
What should we do, start a Timmies’ Crusade?

Hey, they used terror as well. It’s a weapon of war.
Deal with it.

You want to fight? Have you served? How many do you know that have served? Have you talked to anyone, frankly and in confidence, that has been in Afghan?

Get yourself down to a recruiting centre, forthwith.
Get Some!

forces.ca/html/index.aspx?lang=en
:grandpa:

Jaboney: I confess I have been reading your name with an “L” the entire time I’ve been here. I’m sorry, maN. :blush:

GingerMan: That’s food for thought, but the Canadian military isn’t going to accomplish anything, no matter how right the fight may be.

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]
GingerMan: That’s food for thought, but the Canadian military isn’t going to accomplish anything, no matter how right the fight may be.[/quote]

At last, the ever-loving light shines on thru…
Talkin about the Midnight Special.

“Well you wake up in the morning, hear the ding dong ring,
You go a-marching to the table, see the same damn thing
Well, it’s on a one table, knife, a fork and a pan,
And if you say anything about it, you’re in trouble with the man
Let the midnight special, shine her light on me
Let the midnight special, shine her ever-loving light on me…”