Canadian passport renewal in Taiwan - can it affect future China visas?

Given that there is no China embassy in Taiwan and that and that there are weird politics rules - if your renewed Canadian passport is issued in Taiwan, will this cause issues with trying to apply for a future China visa? Will the foreign China embassy recognize the passport and the issued location if it doesn’t say Taipei, China for example? If it just says Taipei, Taiwan, then it seems giving room for future visas to be rejected by the person processing visas at the Chinese embassy?

You sure it isn’t issued out of a real embassy, like in Hong Kong?

1 Like

Certainly possible given the oppressive maturity level of the CCP.

I never go to China, but I have friends and business acquainted that have gone with Canadian passports issued while in the country of Taiwan. They went to China just fine, as business related reasons.

The most recent I remember was just before the global panic of covid (late 2019), so nothing was shut down.

But, I wouldn’t put it past Mr. Xi to start being this petty in certain cases. It might also depend largely on what your work and politics are. I’d you are involved openly with things that are against CCP oppression, it might be risky. Especially if you are affiliated to human rights, environmental, pro democracy/Taiwan related things. Just be real with yourself and what you do. If you are an engineer and don’t have any online/open opinions about anything China does, I can’t see an issue. Especially if Canada doesn’t arrest a church ese person during your visit :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:

2 Likes

I have a Canadian passport issued in Taiwan, the issuing authority is “Taipei”. Although I believe all passports are actually printed in Canada and shipped overseas.

Canadian passports always show only the city they were issued in, not the country. I doubt China’s government cares… as far as they are concerned your passport was issued in China.

2 Likes

Hahaha yeah if someone runs into trouble, you could say: Are you saying Taipei is not in China? This passport was issued in China!!!

:grin:

Guy

5 Likes

That’s the 2024 China V2.0 boss move? Traveling to China with a Taiwanese ARC/APRC/ETC just to see their face when being forced to admit their defeat AND your rejection.

Doesn’t work, but I have massive respect for the balls to try to make a point! If only they would t jail you for recording it…

Maybe better to try in China Lite version 3.0, Hong kong.

2 Likes

Didn’t have any issues whatsoever with my passport issued in Taipei for visa free entry to China (EU passport)

2 Likes

My sons Australian passport has place of birth Taichung Taiwan and place of issue Taiwan and it was not an issue before visiting China.

lolz