Canadian Society Night with Jonathan Manthorpe

Been asked to pass this notice along:

The Canadian Society is pleased to host a social night with Mr. Jonathan Manthorpe, famous international affairs correspondent for the Vancouver Sun and author who is here to cover the Taiwan election.

The event will be run at O’Ginny’s tavern on Wednesday, 19 March from 7 pm to 10 pm. Mr. Manthorpe will make some remarks and will stay to share stories from his interesting career.

In celebration of this event “happy hours” will run from 7 pm to 9 pm. There will also be a special buffet dinner (NT$400).

O’Ginny’s is located at No. 45, Alley 25, Lane 113 Min Sheng E Road, Sec 3, Taipei
Tel: 02.2545.5710.

All are welcome!

Mr. Manthorpe has a great knowledge of Taiwan, his book Forbidden Nation: A History of Taiwan was published in 2005. He follows events here and is regarded as one of the Canada’s best journalists. He spent five years based in Hong Kong covering Asia for Southam News. Prior to Asia, he was posted in Harare, Zimbabwe. During that time, Manthorpe reported on the transition from apartheid to majority rule in South Africa and covered major wars, famines, and social upheavals across the African continent.

That posting followed nearly a decade in Europe where Manthorpe was sent in 1979 as the Toronto Star’s European Bureau chief. In the early 1980s, Manthorpe spent two years as a special adviser in London to then prime minister Pierre Trudeau during the campaign to patriate Canada’s constitution. After the completion of that project Manthorpe became the European Correspondent for Southam News.

For most of the 1970s Manthorpe was a political correspondent for the Globe and Mail and then a daily columnist for the Toronto Star.

He grew up in Toronto, but trained as a journalist in Britain where he won the national prize for the top graduate of the year in 1969. Manthorpe has won the Mitchener Award for journalism and several international prizes for his writing.

We spent a very enjoyable evening with Mr. Manthorpe about four years ago. This should be a good event… we hope to see you there!

Canadian Society in Taiwan

Any Forumosans going to this?

I’m new here, I think I might go, I haven’t had to many conversations in quality English for some time!