Canadians Seeking Divorce

My wife and I were married in Taiwan last year. We are both Canadians. Now we want to get divorced. We spoke to a Taiwanese lawyer. She said she could do the divorce here, but it wouldn’t be 100% binding. In other words, if some new prospective spouse wanted to contest it, or if either of us wanted to contest it some time in the future, we could. I’m not quite sure I fully understood the reason why. Either way, she told us to register the marriage in Canada (which we hadn’t done) and get divorced there.

We contacted a Canadian lawyer. She said the divorce cannot occur in Canada because neither of us are ordinarily resident in any Canadian province for at least a year

Does anyone know anything about this? Or know a good lawyer who can help us figure this out?

Thanks

[quote=“alvie”]My wife and I were married in Taiwan last year. We are both Canadians. Now we want to get divorced. We spoke to a Taiwanese lawyer. She said she could do the divorce here, but it wouldn’t be 100% binding. In other words, if some new prospective spouse wanted to contest it, or if either of us wanted to contest it some time in the future, we could. I’m not quite sure I fully understood the reason why. Either way, she told us to register the marriage in Canada (which we hadn’t done) and get divorced there.
We contacted a Canadian lawyer. She said the divorce cannot occur in Canada because neither of us are ordinarily resident in any Canadian province for at least a year

Does anyone know anything about this? Or know a good lawyer who can help us figure this out?

Thanks[/quote]

If you haven’t registered your marriage in Canada (WHY BTW??) wouldn’t that make it easier to just file for divorce in Taiwan? I’d just start the Taiwanese divorce procedure anyway. What could it hurt?

So you’re two foreigners, married legally, but only in Taiwan? Married a whole year, eh?

Damn…something new every day. :slight_smile: