Cancel Culture Victims

Exactly.

Again, problem is context. If you see the mocking Asian features then, it is one thing. When innocent Asians are attacked on the streets blaming them for corona as an excuse for racism to run rampant, no thanks. We do not need more kindle in the fire.

Same with anti semitic imagery. Quite problematic when synagogues can be bombed.

The racism issue is not over by any chance. Like cockroaches, imagery like this cannot be ignored. It comes from a dirty origin.

And this:

2 Likes

I won’t argue that Dr Seuss was anti-racism, but the context here is that all of his books were very humane, and some of them addressed genuinely important social issues (eg., deforestation). They were well-loved (by kids and adults) for that reason. None of them have poisonous hidden messages.

Agree. But kids are very impressionable and adults like to manipulate stuff.

His estate is calling the shots in his name, and an artist, as creator, has the prerogative to adjust his work as per his creative vision. If they want to take these books out because they do not like the message in the images because they believe it does not carry the message they intend, well, they can.

They are, but not (I think) in the way that adults imagine that they are. Kids are quite capable of distinguishing nonsense-drawings (which all Dr Seuss’s drawings are) from reality.

If the book had been a relentless series of images showing Chinese people doing silly things, interposed with Westerners doing clever things, I’d completely agree with you. But I don’t see any malice intended here.

As for his estate, they don’t represent Dr Seuss in any sense except the legal one (a copyright is transferable). He had no children, so I’m not sure who “his estate” actually are.

1 Like

And yet I can still easily access and enjoy all those things, so I guess they didn’t perfect the cancel culture we are now enduring.

I think a lot people here easily confuse “cancelling” with accountability. which is ironic cause the conservative mindset is about personal responsibility lol

So the men who wear their eyes at a slant and eat with sticks are not racist portrayals, just silly characters?

If you’d like context look up Seuss’s political cartoons from the 40’s. You will quickly see that it wasn’t a fluke or just “silly characters”.

2 Likes

And then they see adults doing slanted eyes, taunting Asians, calling them dirty and sickness ladden… that’s how things roll downhill, as stereotypes and bad messages are reinforced.

And again, no one is forcing the estate of Dr. Seuss to do anything. They had s look around and decided this won’t do.

1 Like

Can’t disagree with that. But I really don’t think children’s books had much to do with it. Some people are just assholes, unfortunately.

2 Likes

I feel it’d only be the right thing if Dr Seuss was personally doing it, not his estate. But he’s dead of course.

I don’t know the others, but they’re ceasing publication of ‘And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street’, his very first book and (until recently I suppose) an undisputed classic of his canon.

Nah, I’m not on board with this. Let people choose what books, TV shows and movies they want to consume. We don’t need be told what’s okay for us and what isn’t by other authorities. It’s his estate though, so nothing anyone can do… especially in politics. So the whole political discourse about it is ridiculous.

Finally, what I don’t understand is if they HAD to take action, why couldn’t they censor the individual offending drawings and not ban publication of the whole books? Seems like a fair, if not ideal, compromise and it’s not like the plots of the books are dependent on one or two dated panels.

3 Likes

Funny pictures thread guys, I can start a thread for you on Dr Seuss if you like, or start one yourselves.

Edit/ @RickRoll below, good idea, done!

3 Likes

Or just move them all to “Cancel Culture” thread. :2cents:

3 Likes

To be honest this whole story reminds me of the recent discussions about “Tintin in Congo” which was muuuuch more racist than anything I’ve seen from Dr. Seuss. Though in that case people seemed to have had a much more composed attitude to the issue.

Brussels parliamentarian Kalvin Soiresse Njall had expressed astonishment on the RTBF’s JT programme on Saturday at the fact that “Tintin in Congo” was not among the issues in the news in recent weeks.

The parliamentarian, who is of Togolese origin, said he was not calling for the comic to be scrapped, which would be counter-productive, but, he said, “there is an absolute need to contextualise it from within.”

He felt that this could be done, for example, by asking a graphic artist to produce a “warning message with a brief text” at the beginning of the comic.

3 Likes

We ought to do a “Cancel Culture Pool” or “Cancel Culture Bingo” to see who can accurately predict who or what will be the next to be cancelled.

Months ago I correctly predicted Tin Tin! One point for me.

Next up will have to be Jonny Quest with its awful portrayal of spear-chucking savages!

Pepe Le Pew on the chopping block.

Yep. All rapists probably acquired their raping skills from this cartoon!

1 Like

Europeans tend to be much more reasonable and realistic about these issues than the US; not having to really deal with the legacy of colonialism in the same way the US still grapples with slavery is likely a part of the explanation

I thought he was already gone!

1 Like

Lil’ Audrey needs to be cancelled.

A good watch and good points.

1 Like

There’s probably some of this. On another hand, being a fan of Donald Duck comics, I was surprised that no serious controversy emerged from Fantagraphics’ reedition of Carl Barks’ work (the publisher chose to keep the original comics rather than the later redrawn, more politically correct versions, but added mentions explaining the racist exagerations). Granted, that was about 10 years ago, so maybe cancel culture wasn’t that big of a deal yet.

https://www.cbr.com/white-ducks-burden-race-in-walt-disneys-donald-duck-lost-in-the-andes/

2 Likes