Cancel Culture Victims

Why do you think they’re easier than anything else? RWers mock all political ideas or people they find scary or threatening.

would you mock the Hells Angels? Don’t the Proud Boys make a much easier target for mocking?

I think it’s a good question.

1 Like

Not really, because I don’t think about them unless I’m re-watching the Stones at Altamont or something. The Proud Boys are easy to mock. Seems like a weird thing to bring up in the context of SJW/Critical Theory etc, unless we’re doing the old false equivalence thing.

Presenting something that can be seen from an alternate viewpoint is useful if you are rejecting all criticism or are potential prickly to the question when presented to groups or terms applied to the left.

Obviously just in the name the Proud Boys are worth a comedy sketch. hells Angles not really mocking material. Although there is material to work with.

Yeah, but I’m not so what’s your point? This was about the etymology of SJW/woke. Not me.

So BD asked why these things make easy targets to mock, and the answer is obvious–they are the ideas that RWers find very threatening, especially the culture war obsessed ones. The more threatened they feel, the more they mock things in direct proportion.

The point still stands, what lends itself so easily to mocking. You replied.

Because, in the example I gave and I tried to use a right wing example so you wouldn’t get defensive, not all things are equal.

I believe @BiggusDickus is trying to imply that in the cases of SJW and woke, that they make for easy material. I think the first term came from a video game originally. It’s evolved from that into mocking ‘social justice’ entirely as a term, which now just denigrates the concept of equality or justice itself.

Woke we’ve discussed, it comes from an Eryka Badu song, was part of a cultural movement for a stetch until RWers spun it into a pejorative dog whistle, which marks its current usage. I think many using ‘woke’ as a pejorative like this may not realize they freely traffic in the lexicon of RW hate language when they use it. Maher comes to mind.

Maher is a right winger now? OK then… :laughing:

Whoa, you really misread what I said.

“I think many using ‘woke’ as a pejorative like this may not realize they freely traffic in the lexicon of RW hate language when they use it. Maher comes to mind.”

1 Like

Words are metaphor, right? Giving something a name is easier for dialogue, no?

I don’t believe dialogue is the purpose when RWers (and their some of their white liberal tagalongs) mock social justice or woke culture, do you?

Speaking for myself, when I’m mocking the purpose tends to be the mock. That usually comes after the failed attempt at dialogue.

Ok how about instead of WOKE we use; liberal arts educated minority that is trying to influence the actions of people they went to university in order to avoid. It’s a mouthful and f’s with the Twitter numbers but, hey I feel gooder about it.

So Maher is a victim of devious right wingers who’ve sneakily redefined “woke” for their own nefarious purposes? This is almost sillier.

L.A.E.M.T.I.A.P.T.W.T.U.I.O.A? It just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

You threw in the devious and sneakily part, I didn’t say that.

You can’t get milk out of a strawman, Milker!

Not fair to those with annoying hippy parents though, is it?

1 Like

I have one even better. Cancel culture changes to; all the nerds who couldn’t make varsity lawn bowling now have the power to get back at those bullies!