Cancelling a buxiban contract before it starts

:roll_eyes:

Suppose either party asks the labor department to arrange mediation. (That doesn’t cost anything, except to the taxpayer.) Even though mediation is not binding unless both parties reach an agreement at the end of it, making a false statement during mediation may result in an administrative fine (see Act for the Settlement of Labor-Management Disputes).

You could instead admit that you lied or just Glomarize. That won’t help you to gain the mediator’s sympathy (or improve the image Taiwanese have of foreigners), but more importantly, it gives the other party something to use against you (not the statement you do or don’t make during mediation but the discovery that you lied before mediation). If for whatever reason the case does go to court, the fact that you lied counts against you.

And the only way this ridiculous tendency will ever fall into disuse is if people stop using it. One step at a time… :rainbow:

Oh yeah, and don’t piss off the bureaucrats of the underworld. :ghost: :no_no:

1 Like

Well, yes. Another solution would be to not sign a contract one isn’t prepared to be bound to.

1 Like

The contract system in Taiwan is exploitative and works in favour of the employer every time. Teachers here won’t or can’t organise, and this allows schools to call all the shots. They have this “take it or leave it” attitude and it’s difficult to negotiate better terms. This is particularly true of TEFL jobs. There are just too many people hunting for English teaching jobs these days, and employers are unable to differentiate between us. They think the right person is someone who 1) Turns up now, 2) Lives nearby, and 3) Goes along with everything, smiles and doesn’t ask questions. Taking all this into account, and the fact that many people are dependent on their job for residency, then you are bound to sign a contract you wish you hadn’t at some point. We have discussed lying about bereavement. Another option is to get yourself fired. You don’t have to do anything too outrageous–just turn up late without explanation a few times or something like that. For an employer to sue you they need to know where you live and your phone number, so another thing to consider when abruptly terminating a job is to move. Hope this helps. I’m speaking from a lot of experience.

3 Likes

Or speak the truth and accept responsibility and consequences!

1 Like

You’re not selling yourself as a model employee here, but I understand your main point. It isn’t easy to negotiate a contract in Taiwan.

2 Likes

I’m not trying to be a model employee, but I understand your point. We should try our best at work…

There’s a whole lotta point-understanding going on here.

1 Like

Also, don’t sign a contract with anyone who expects you to break the law (to get back to the OP’s case). But I do understand your point. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like