Canned pumpkin

Where can I find canned pumpkin for making pumpkin pie?

Probably Wellmans, but I wouldn’t wait until the last minute to get it.

City Super. Bakery store in Dihua Street. (before DB comes and tells you how to do it yourself).

And in a pinch, you can of course render your own. Mom (a DIY nut and extremely versatile cook) did that once, and announced that it wasn’t worth the effort if canned is available, so I’ve never tried it (plus, unfortunately, my wee wifey and my waistline don’t care for pumpkin pie), but if all you’ve got is pumpkins, it’s certainly possible.

What has been done to the canned pumpkin that you cannot do at home with a fresh pumpkin in 15 mins or less?

Depends on whether you steam or roast the pumpkin; the latter takes an hour or so. I don’t think it’s a big deal, but if you’re juggling many other courses in a small kitchen or have limited time, I can certainly see why most would omit that step.

Dunno, must be that we are so used to the flavor. A friend in the States just commented on FB that he tried baking it from scratch and nope, no cigar, it was not as good as canned. Sugar, probably.

Welmans and the other western store in Tianmu don’t have canned pumpkin this year.
I was given some story about bad pumpkin crops and high prices.

[quote=“tkone21”]Welmans and the other western store in Tianmu don’t have canned pumpkin this year.
I was given some story about bad pumpkin crops and high prices.[/quote]

I saw it at Jason’s [Taipei 101] last week and thought, “Nah, can’t be. Canned pumpkin? Who the fuck wants…?” Oh, yes, haha, of course. Can’t guarantee it’s still there though but I do remember the price was outrageous, something like NT 220. I’m coincidentally headed to City Super at the Far Eastern and I’ll take a look-see for ya.

P.S. tkone21, which ‘other western store in Tianmu’ are you speaking of?

On the other hand, the pumpkin here is pretty damn good. Much better than an ordinary Stateside pumpkin for sure.

[quote=“super_lucky”][quote=“tkone21”]Welmans and the other western store in Tianmu don’t have canned pumpkin this year.
I was given some story about bad pumpkin crops and high prices.[/quote]

I saw it at Jason’s [Taipei 101] last week and thought, “Nah, can’t be. Canned pumpkin? Who the fuck wants…?” Oh, yes, haha, of course. Can’t guarantee it’s still there though but I do remember the price was outrageous, something like NT 220. I’m coincidentally headed to City Super at the Far Eastern and I’ll take a look-see for ya.

P.S. tkone21, which ‘other western store in Tianmu’ are you speaking of?[/quote]

G and G probably.

If you can’t get any pumpkin, there’s a very good alternative-- just grab a couple of acorn squash, some butter and some brown sugar (add a hint of cinnamon, allspice, cloves and nutmeg if you like), and pop it in the oven together. As good as punkin pie any day, and very authentic for T-day.

I looked in Jason in the 101 on Thursday and didn’t see any, unless it’s no longer in the baking supply isle, nor the canned food isle…

No-go at City Super Sogo Tian Mu, G&G, Carrefour

Canned pumpkin is not available in Taipei right now (if you find some, you’re very lucky!), according to the wholesale market in our neighborhood that usually stocks it. Last year, the main US pumpkin fields had major flooding and the crop was not very good as a result. There were pumpkin shortages in the US last year, and the effect has trickled down to Taiwan this year.

I have made pumpkin pie from fresh pumpkin before and I concur with previous posters…it doesn’t taste as good, and the texture isn’t as smooth. I don’t know why the flavor would be so off–plain canned pumpkin has nothing in it but pumpkin (no sugar or anything added). Probably has something to do with the type of pumpkin used. If you still want pumpkin pie, Costco has them and they’re not half bad (though the pastry crust isn’t as good as homemade, of course).

I opted for Costco pie this year as I didn’t have time for all the dinner stuff and making pies too. I have always seen the Libby brand, I think it is anyway, at the DIY baking stores. The last I bought a few months ago was at the No. 4 Park baking store mentioned in the baking thread. About 200 NT per large can.
On a similar note, I recall my mom making fake pumpkin pie from carrots. I don’t have the recipe but I’m sure there must be something online. I couldn’t tell the difference.
Not a perfect sub but better than nothing.
Why not try apple or cherry? Cherry filling is also available at the baking stores. If your not up to doing the crusts, you can find them there also. Try a lattice top crust cut from the second crust.

[quote=“Enigma”]I opted for Costco pie this year as I didn’t have time for all the dinner stuff and making pies too. I have always seen the Libby brand, I think it is anyway, at the DIY baking stores. The last I bought a few months ago was at the No. 4 Park baking store mentioned in the baking thread. About 200 NT per large can.
On a similar note, I recall my mom making fake pumpkin pie from carrots. I don’t have the recipe but I’m sure there must be something online. I couldn’t tell the difference.
Not a perfect sub but better than nothing.
Why not try apple or cherry? Cherry filling is also available at the baking stores. If your not up to doing the crusts, you can find them there also. Try a lattice top crust cut from the second crust.[/quote]
Too late for thanksgiving now, I guess, but if y’all are looking for a substitute for pumpkin, why not go with sweet potato? Sweet potato pie and pumpkin pie are pretty similar, and sweet potatoes are easy to find and easy to deal with.

Anyone know where canned pumpkin is available? Hopefully at a civilized price.