Cannot get a Tai Bao Zheng if name shows up in household registration in Shanghai?

This one is a real strange one. I called 17 Tour and asked if they can process a Tai Bao Zhen, someone on the phone said if you show up as having household registration in Mainland (Shanghai in this case), then they cannot process a Tai Bao Zhen for Taiwan citizen with national ID. Is this true? When we left Shanghai we kind of just left, I don’t think we asked anyone to cross it out. Now we have household registration in Taiwan, and the tour group won’t process a Tai Bao Zhen. Anyone have experience with this issue?

1 Like

Can’t you cancel household registration in Shanghai? Mine was cancelled automatically when notified I moved abroad. The local police station in Shanghai can then issue proof.

The thing is, I know how to do it and what must be done, but I’m just trying to figure out if what I’ve been told is true or not. Because it seems strange that a tour company wouldn’t issue me a Tai Bao Zhen despite having a national ID and everything.

Taibaozhen is issued by the PRC government (not Taiwan), and it can only be issued to those without PRC citizenship/HHR. If you have PRC citizenship, then the proper way to travel to China is with a PRC passport.

It’s because TaiBaoZheng is issued by PRC, so you have to follow PRC household registration rules.

So whats the right way to go about this? If you’re no longer living in china you have to cancel your houkou?

I think you have to apply to move your hukou from mainland China to the Taiwan region. I’m not sure. In my case my hukou got cancelled because I fit their definition of moving abroad (to a foreign country).

Thanks, that makes sense. My issue is, I don’t have a PRC passport, lol. In fact, I have a Taiwan NWHR passport and National ID. And I don’t think the PRC would give me a passport given that.

Okay, so it’s safe to say that what the tour company said is true?

Don’t hukou expire? I never asked them to remove it by explicitly saying so, because I just assumed that it gets crossed out after not being in the PRC for years. What’s the word?

If you still have PRC household registration then you’re still a PRC citizen as far as they are concerned, so you should still be able to apply for a PRC passport. Obviously they don’t know you’re Taiwanese, otherwise they would have already cancelled your PRC citizenship.

Of course, the proper way to do this is to tell the PRC government that you are already Taiwanese, so that they can cancel your Shanghai household registration and then you can apply for a Taibaozheng.

Is there a way to do it outside of china, or can the travel agency handle that? I mean because otherwise you can’t just enter china without a taibaozheng.

cannot use this?

https://www.gov.cn/govweb/xinwen/2014-07/15/content_2717363.htm

for this happen, you should let them know you settled in other country. just not being in prc for years is not enough.

You mean apply for a PRC passport? Of course. How do you think Chinese citizens living in Taiwan or abroad renew their passports?

No, I mean cancel a houkou so you can get a taibaozheng

I assume all it takes is a phone call, and maybe send in some documentation.

DO NOT DO THIS. If you are issued a PRC passport, as soon as the Taiwanese government finds out you will lose your Taiwanese citizenship!! You might be OK with getting a Chinese 旅行证 which is a passport style booklet that allows entry and exit into China, if you need to travel to Shanghai to get your hukou cancelled. If so then explain your situation to a Chinese embassy/consulate abroad, they should be able to issue you one.

2 Likes

Then don’t post a photo of you holding it online lol

1 Like

You lose your ROC citizenship by having PRC HHR, not by having PRC passport. OP already has PRC HHR so he should have already lost his ROC citizenship by now.

If you took one of the paths to Taiwan citizenship via a non-Chinese foreign passport then it’s probably better to enter China using that foreign passport on a China visa. The rules around household registration, citizenship, Chinese citizenship renunciation is not that clear and depends on who you are asking and from which country.

If you apply for a China visa on a foreign passport I think that might be when the embassy notifies China to cancel your hukou.

I never specifically cancelled my hukou but it was cancelled when I checked, and I’ve had several China visas on foreign passports.

But they already had a PRC hukou before getting Taiwanese citizenship, which means they can’t get their Taiwanese citizenship cancelled by obtaining a PRC hukou because they already had one. Is there a requirement to cancel it?