Cans of peeled tomatoes?

[quote=“Icon”]ps.
Gosh, how do these guys find time to do all this stuff?[/quote]

No computer games, almost no TV, not much reading, being very efficient with use of time, and doing things in batches so you cook once and eat many times.

Oh, googling now I have found something positive on saving the seeds, although I’m not sure it’s the same research I had seen earlier:
healthy-families.net/alterna … ato-seeds/

[quote]the fluid slippage or yellow jelly that there are around tomato seeds containing compound or mixture of materials that are effective against stroke and heart disease.

From the results of the research is, if you drink tomato juice without the seeds discard it, you have reduce the risk of blood clotting that can cause a heart attack approximately 72 percent.[/quote]

No need to de-seed, but the skins can get a bit nasty and have habit of getting stuck in my teeth, so blanching and peeling them is not a bad idea.

Still, why can’t a can of tomatoes cost NT$30 here like in the rest of the world?

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]No need to de-seed, but the skins can get a bit nasty and have habit of getting stuck in my teeth, so blanching and peeling them is not a bad idea.

Still, why can’t a can of tomatoes cost NT$30 here like in the rest of the world?[/quote]

They essentially do, at Costco (32 and change). Why the rest are so overpriced is perplexing, though-- I agree. Oh, and if you’re up for doing big batches of sauce but don’t want to bother peeling, I was looking at the big restaurant cans at Costco which Belgian Pie had suggested, and you know what? One of those really wouldn’t be too big if you’re making sauce and freezing a bunch. And they’re of course even more economical than the small cans. :ponder: I may just start doing that (after I buy a bigger freezer, ha ha).

[quote=“Dragonbones”][quote=“Icon”]ps.
Gosh, how do these guys find time to do all this stuff?[/quote]

No computer games, almost no TV, not much reading, being very efficient with use of time, and doing things in batches so you cook once and eat many times.

Oh, googling now I have found something positive on saving the seeds, although I’m not sure it’s the same research I had seen earlier:
healthy-families.net/alterna … ato-seeds/

[quote]the fluid slippage or yellow jelly that there are around tomato seeds containing compound or mixture of materials that are effective against stroke and heart disease.

From the results of the research is, if you drink tomato juice without the seeds discard it, you have reduce the risk of blood clotting that can cause a heart attack approximately 72 percent.[/quote][/quote]
Course, if you still want that stroke-stopping goodness you can do this neat thing after they’re blanched and peeled. Squish them instead over a muslim bag and hang that in the fridge over a big bowl. Leave overnight. In the morning you’ll have a bowl of almost clear liquid. Decant it into some sterilized bottles along with a goodly amount of voddy and you have the most amazing drink you can imagine. Got that off a Jamie Oliver TV show and did it once. A bit of a pain, but damn! It is amazing, and you can have fun watching your friends trying to guess what the :tent: it is.

See, Keith Floyd shoulda been doing that. He might still be around.

Are you suggesting to mix tomato seed juice with vodka? :loco:
Just because Mr Oliver does something, doesn’t make it normal, ok? :no-no:

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Are you suggesting to mix tomato seed juice with vodka? :loco:
Just because Mr Oliver does something, doesn’t make it normal, ok? :no-no:[/quote]
Spoken like a man who never tried it. :wink:

I suspect most people can’t tell the difference. I’d prefer to use extra virgin, but I’m virtually certain I wouldn’t know the difference.

In support of zender’s comment, this article from The New Yorker alleges that regulation, particularly in Italy, is extremely lax and corrupt, major Italian shippers routinely adulterate olive oil and only about 40% of olive oil sold as “extra virgin” actually meets the specification.
newyorker.com/reporting/2007 … ct_mueller

YES!

AND a barrel of light sweet crude is rarely light OR sweet! :fume:

They get very tricky; labeling olive oil with
Italy
in big letters, and
Bumfuck
in small letters on the other side.

Also, have you seen Olivenol? It looks like olive oil . . . nice picture of olives . . ., but I think it just LOOKS like olive oil.

And have you heard about the all the Chinese workers in Italy making shoes, bags etc., or at least attaching a final buckle or strap (after 99% of the work was done in China) so they can stick on the “Made in Italy” label?

And don’t even get me started on all the cheap shoes that say “mode France.”

Well, it doesn’t have to be from Italy, there’s plenty other good olive oil, I found some pretty nice stuff from Spain and I think a lot of the stuff in Costco is from Oz if I’m not wrong. The big 2L bottles in Costco are good for frying stuff in and general cooking and baking, but not nice as an eating/dipping oil.
There’s a very fancy olive oil shop in the Eslite book store in the Xinyi district, got a bottle of their oil, but haven’t had a chance to try it as yet (no, I didn’t buy it) oliviersandco.com

Oh you guys are killing me… I am so sick of buying canned tomatoes seeing as before I came to TAiwan I proybably have never once bought a can or even a fresh tomato (family grows tons a year back home that we can, freeze, etc).

I believe I am about to start freezing them here, but I first need to get a freezer (and a fridge seeing as mine went bad this week). Anyone know where to get the stand-alone freezers? Funny thing is, I have got 30,000 gallons of liquid Nitrogen, but I don’t know where to get a freezer.

Also, all this talk about olive oil has got me wondering, what brand of olive oil to you guys/gals recommend in Taiwan? And where do you get it?

[color=#008080]Mod note: That discussion belongs over here in the olive oil thread – thanks![/color]

Cosco for the freezer, or a new fridge with freezer compartment from Zhuen Guo Dien Tzu. Spanish -not Italian- olive oil from organic stores for the olive oil.

Cans of tomatoes at Carrefore today NT35.

That discussion belongs over here in the olive oil thread – thanks!

Except that link doesn’t work…

Sure it does. Your clicking skills must be lacking. :stuck_out_tongue:

Lucky find today! Was in B1 of Xin Guang in Tienmou and found 3 tins of Kagome tomatoes for 53nt, but next to them was another brand called Salsati produced in Argentina. I’ve never seen them on sale here before and look like Xin Guang might not continue stocking them because they were on sale, reduced from NT$58 to NT$39. I bought eighteen cans but there are about half a dozen left for someone!! I’m now praying they are not terrible - can’t be worse than Hunts, though.

Saw those in Mitsukoshi near the 101, but I decided not to buy them that day, went back the next day and someone had bought all of them (about a dozen tins, whole and crushed).
Luckily I got some whole tinned small tomatoes in Carrefour today for NT$30 a can :smiley:

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]someone had bought all of them (about a dozen tins, whole and crushed).
[/quote]

why would you buy a crushed tin?

:raspberry: