Can't order Coke Zero from McD's on Uber Eats/Food Panda?

This is only my third time ever using these services, so maybe I’m just stupid. Here’s my first world problem: Even though McDonald’s offers Coke Zero in all of its restaurants in Taoyuan, when I look at their menus on Uber Eats and Food Panda only regular Coke is listed.

What am I missing?

1 Like

Maybe it’s because they’re doing it to streamline their food processing.

I thought that, but they literally just need to move the cup to the next fountain spigot. It’s not like they need to cook something complicated :idunno:

I didn’t want to start a new thread. Does Uber Eats adjust their service fee depending on customer volume? I think they do.

I’m not a massive user, but I haven’t noticed that. My app says it’s based on “factors like basket size”.

Anyway, would it be better just to sign up for Uber One and avoid the fees entirely? It costs NT$120 per month IIRC, so it should pay for itself after maybe 2-3 orders.

(I’m normally not a fan of monthly subscriptions for stuff like this, I often think about canceling it, and I did go through the cancelation process last month until they reduced the price to NT$12 or something, but this is one case where it seems to make sense for even occasional users.)

1 Like

If you are a frequent user it makes sense, but I use UberEATS like maybe once a year if that. Sometimes they waive delivery fee if you’re a first time user or something.

I wouldn’t say 2-3 times a month counts as “frequent”, that’s my point. I know people who use it on almost daily basis, sometimes more, and I’d call that “very frequent”.

If you’re using it once a year, which I’d describe as “almost never”, obviously it wouldn’t make sense for you.

Yes, they definitely do and usually during peak hours it’ll mention that to sell u on UE+ lol

1 Like

Service fee is a new thing they just added maybe two months ago, so I can’t say. They used to only charge a flat delivery fee based on distance, and that never changed based on volume.

1 Like

I use it a couple of times each week. I guess I’ll definitely consider this. I kind of hate giving out my credit card info like this, but I should stop being so paranoid.

I knew it! Smart way to do things, actually.

1 Like

Doesn’t Uber have your credit card details anyway? (I don’t remember if there’s a cash option, but if there is I wouldn’t have used it to avoid the awkwardness of not giving a tip… :whistle:)

1 Like

I’ve been using the pay at the time of delivery option. You can’t go over 1,000nt, though, which is okay most of the time but I sometimes want something nice for the four of us.

As for a tip, I stopped giving tips a while back. I don’t get the impression the drivers are expecting one.

1 Like

Definitely not. They make enough. I used to drive for Uber and I never expected one, and this was in the US.

1 Like

Yeah, sure, but some people do, especially if it’s raining and the driver has just climbed four flights of stairs or whatever.

Honestly, I also just want them to leave the food outside my door and bugger off, without me needing to open the door and greet them then wait while they fiddle around for change. If I wanted to interact with people, I’d be leaving the apartment. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Read the small print.

0 Delivery Fee and up to 100% off Service Fee benefits are only available for eligible stores showing the Uber One icon. In order to enjoy these benefits, a minimum order of NT $199

I had a trial for a month and single person orders were usually less. I would have to order more food than I wanted to get the free delivery. For couples that is not a problem, but I need to order lunch from work just for myself.
I usually spend between 80 - 120 ntd for lunch (Taichung). Goes up if I want something fancier, but rarely goes near 200.

I just get up and go eat somewhere…

Not feasible in the summer.

1 Like

Yeah, sure, there’s a lower limit, I know because it shows up in the app, but it’s rare that I order anything from Uber Eats where that’s actually a problem.

It only really happens with danbing or McDonald’s breakfast burgers, in which case I’ll order another and keep it in the fridge for later (because the alternative is a large chunk of the order being delivery/service fees and it working out to a similar price anyway, and I don’t see the point of that).

Most other things I order (pizza etc.) easily pass that limit. As you say, if people are ordering low-value items like Taiwanese lunchboxes or one or two bubble teas, which I never do personally, the fee waiver wouldn’t kick in.