Caoling, Yunlin County

Has anyone been to Tsaoling in Yunlin county? It was hit hard by the 9-21 earthquake and many of its most beautiful features destroyed. What’s it like now? You can’t rebuild nature.

I’m going to bump this up as I can’t believe no one has been here. Anyone?

Bump!

Any update on the conditions? I know it has been awhile since this thread was started.

Also, from what I’ve read, most hikers start at Daxi or Dali and end at Fulong, but it was also posted that the trail also goes to Danshui. I’d like to hike the entire trail. Anyone know which is true?

While I’m at it, any advice? The 6-8 hours hike seems a tad intimidating. Any sources to replenish my supply of water while on the trail?

Caoling in Yunlin County is different from the Caoling Trail in Yilan County. The trail itself doesn’t go all the way to Danshui (it starts near Fulong and ends at Daxi), but it certainly would connect to a series of trails that does.

[quote=“conniebononie”]Bump!

Any update on the conditions? I know it has been awhile since this thread was started.

Also, from what I’ve read, most hikers start at Daxi or Dali and end at Fulong, but it was also posted that the trail also goes to Danshui. I’d like to hike the entire trail. Anyone know which is true?

While I’m at it, any advice? The 6-8 hours hike seems a tad intimidating. Any sources to replenish my supply of water while on the trail?[/quote]

The OP was referring to Caoling in Yunlin County.

The Caoling Trail goes through New Taipei City and Yilan. When I did the hike in October 2009, from Fulong to Dali, it took me about 4 hours (at some points in unexpected heavy wind and rain). There were no places to replenish water that I remember, so make sure you bring enough.

There are a couple of good blog entries about it here and here.

You can replenish water in the sink of the public toilets at Taoyuan Valley (the big prairie where everyone stops to picnic). But you will need a water filter pump: I would not drink it untreated.

Ah yes, I recal that toilet water very well. Much better than the chicken shit water we had the day before.

Yes, as OP I was referring to caoling in Yunlin County which btw is re-opened.

To the question, the whole route to Daxi is 6-8 hours. 3 litres of water should be fine. Try to drink at least a litre before you head out. The trail is as clear as can be. No danger of getting lost.

It does not however go anywhere near Danshui. You could however do the reverse of a journey Chris, Omni and I took a few years back from Taipei to Fulong. Fulong-Daxi. Daxi-Pingling. Pingling-Pingxi-Shiding. Shiding-Maokong. Gondola and then MRT to downtown.

We visited the Yunlin Caoling a while back. There are some interesting spots there. I thought Wannian Valley was particularly nice. The village of Caoling isn’t great, but there are a couple of nice trails nearby.

guide.taiwan-adventures.com/ … ent-cliff/

guide.taiwan-adventures.com/ … ave-trail/

guide.taiwan-adventures.com/ … waterfall/

guide.taiwan-adventures.com/ … g-village/

guide.taiwan-adventures.com/ … an-valley/