Capital Letters

I didn’t know that your distaste for me had grown to the point where you’re happy, on this forum of adults, to call me an idiot.

I have made some effort to improve my capitalisation standards, following your earlier beef with me (and I have little doubt that it is mostly me that is being addressed here, though it is certainly not only me transgressing) but why the fuck it is still your prerogative to single me out for my perceived capitalisation sins when there are thousands of dying, starving children to be saved and letters of protest written to the many do-gooders out there who respond to such things is beyond me.

Please tell me you use capitals when you do that! :laughing:

Look! If anyone writes as well as uro does, they should be left alone . . . I mean, they shouldn’t be criticized.

I don’t care if people use caps or not, but you ALL need to work on your use of the mighty cactus.

Now, listen up!

First off, don’t overuse it.

I think we should all agree to use it at the end of a poorly-made argument to mean, “So there!”

If you look back, you’ll see that Big Fluffy and Funk500 should NOT have used any cacti, and Loretta SHOULD HAVE used one at the end of HIS post.

:cactus:

I like the cactus. It is the smiley with subtley, grace and even humour.

It’s always been my favorite smiley, too.

It’s got chutzpah!

Shit! I just spit all over my screen.

Any particular reason?

Tryin’ to say “chutzpah” with chutzpah.

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Oh, no you didn’t!

[color=#0040BF]why must itself up every of a park
by E. E. Cummings

why must itself up every of a park
anus stick some quote statue unquote to
prove that a hero equals any jerk
who was afraid to dare to answer “no”?
quote citizens unquote might otherwise
forget(to err is human;to forgive
divine)that if the quote state unquote says
“kill” killing is an act of christian love.
“Nothing” in 1944 AD
“can stand against the argument of mil
itary necessity”(generalissimo e)
and echo answers “there is no appeal
from reason”(freud)–you pays your money and
you doesn’t take your choice. Ain’t freedom grand

E. E. Cummings [/color]

E. E. Cummings experimented radically with form, punctuation, spelling and syntax, abandoning traditional techniques and structures to create a new, highly idiosyncratic means of poetic expression…
More >

imho you rock mr urodacus. do’nt let it bring you down. i love you’re use of cuntuation. ar’ent capital letters the things that condemned people rite?

You cheeky cunt.

The interval between the first reply and your comment was three hours. Am I supposed to be permanently logged in to avoid being accused of running away?

Urodacus, I spend a lot of time reading crap English written by people who don’t know any better, and this is where we come to get away from it. If you feel that ‘the internet’ is where you go to get away from all those unfair and pointless rules then perhaps you should consider that the internet is a big place. There is no shortage of sites where semi-literate retards can have their fun away from the pesky adults. On this site specifically there is a clearly-stated policy that we do things the old-fashioned way. There are places where you can go and play, but apparently you would prefer to play in places where other people play to different rules from the ones you like.

On this site we use proper punctuation. If you don’t like it then discuss it with the administrators. But until they rule in your favour, please do everyone a simple favour and observe the protocols you have been asked to observe in the past.

Alternatively, why don’t you just change your signature line to something like “I don’t give a fuck about the stated policies of this site and I’m going to do my own thing even though other people have told me they find it annoying, and fuck you if you don’t like it.”

And who the hell is ee cummings? Quoting obscure exceptions to accepted practise may succeed in proving that you have read some books that I haven’t read, but it doesn’t change the fact that most widely-read writers do things in the same way that I was taught. I’m pretty sure that all of you were taught the same, but somehow a few people have somehow decided that centuries of consensus no longer matter, just because any idiot can get his scribblings in front of a bigger audience.[/quote]

christ what a cunt; i’ve been posting here for nigh on 9 years and have never had a mod tell me off for not using caps;

rules are guidelines only and as i point out frequently i completely understand if people don’t want to read my posts…hell i don’t want to read them myself…

and if you haven’t heard of e e cummings and “claim” to be an expert on english then shame on you sir. thats like not having heard of picasso or john coltrane.

oh and one final point you keep going on and on and on and on about centuries of this and that. well the Internet was only invented last thursday so its entitled to modify its use of the language any way it sees fit…if you want to be a pedant then go find yourself a pedantic website somewhere else…

Pedantic? Downright fucking ANAL! (author’s caps).

Personally, and without taking quote sides unquote, I like this the best:

[quote=“Thelonlieste”]Personally, and without taking quote sides unquote, I like this the best:

A minor poet no-one reads.

Some really horrifying Engrish here. Wasted too much time at school reading shit like ee?

Of course you can ‘communicate’ with slovenly or incorrect English. You just aren’t as credible or widely read.

Buttercup: It appears you are just trolling. Cummings was an American. He would have used “no one” not “no-one”.

Loretta, do you want webdoctors to come back? YoU RoCkZ!?

Um, here’s my “official” position:

I don’t have one.

Like Loretta, I prefer to see English written “properly”. Ideally, writing would be done deliberately, with intention. Messages would be crafted, sentences honed. Everything in IP would be written in iambic pentameter.

We don’t live in that world, though, so I’ll accept pretty much anything unless it’s so jarring that the message is obscured by its format, or lack of it. Then it’s off to temp.

I agree with Loretta’s sentiments, though. Posts are easier on the eyes to read when the writer follows conventional formats, and I always appreciate it when a person makes even the slightest effort to be thoughtful to the reader.

Edit: That being said I really hate it when people write in caps. It’s bad netiquette.

[quote=“elektronisk”]Buttercup: It appears you are just trolling.

Loretta, do you want webdoctors to come back? YoU RoCkZ!?[/quote]

You catch on quick. 7000+ posts? :laughing:

I agree with Loretta. I don’t get ‘angry’, but I don’t really read posts with dodgy English: I’m an editor, former teacher and it gets on my nerves because it’s too much work. If I can’t speed read it easily, I just don’t bother. It’s not a value judgement on the writer, it just falls outside my peripheral vision.

For the same reason manuscripts with poor English just go straight in the bin or are farmed out to a copy editor, my compensating is unlikely to result in any payoff.

I agree wholeheartedly. Paragraphs please.

I agree wholeheartedly. Paragraphs please.[/quote]

There are appropriate paragraphs. Would you like me to proof read your shorthand, there? Being rude to me won’t make me develop an interest in reading lazy writing. The chances of interesting content are just so much smaller. Insert shrugging smiley

I agree wholeheartedly. Paragraphs please.[/quote]

There are appropriate paragraphs. Would you like me to proof read your shorthand, there? Being rude to me won’t make me develop an interest in reading lazy writing. The chances of interesting content are just so much smaller. Insert shrugging smiley[/quote]

WHAT? I was agreeing with you. If something is written in such a way that I can’t read it easily, I don’t bother. I wasn’t being rude to you, I was agreeing with you. I was simply noting that lack of capitalization is a pain but lack of using paragraphs is too much of a bother for me. Not your lack of paragraphs but other poster’s failing to separate text.

I am agnostic on prescription here. For me though, capitalization is simply a way of showing respect for the reader. If a Forumosan does not capitalize: fine. But I may not bother to read them, especially if the post is long and has taken some effort!

No-one, on the other hand, would disregard a post because it is capitalized.

It just depends on who you want as an audience, I guess.