Capoeira

Hi, ive grown pretty lazy recently and am keen to get off my ass and do some kind of excercise. I recently saw a demonstration of Brazilian Capoeira and would love to get into practicing it myself…looks like heaps of fun, and a great way to get in shape. Does anyone know of a place i could go to in Taipei to do do this?

I don’t think there is one. This is China, I mean Greater China, I mean the Chinese cultural sphere…whatever. Anyway, the martial arts practised here are Chinese and Japanese ones. I would advise you to take advantage of the Chinese and Japanese martial arts on offer, rather than looking for Brazilian ones.

If you feel a craving for Brazilian rhythms, there are some drumming circles and classes around. Maybe one day there will be a school of samba.

Perhaps you can excuse Juba. He’s not always on the ball when it comes to what’s going on here.

The Association of Capoeira Argola de Ouro in Taichung can be reached at this e-mail
colinpau@yahoo.com
but I don’t know if they’re still active.
There’s a Taipei message board that can be found here
capoeira.meetup.com/45/
but, once again, they don’t appear very active.

Hey there,

I heard there were classes in Taipei. Anyone with info on here/when/how much/whom to contact? Any info much appreciated! :slight_smile:

Edit: Unfort. the above leads seem inactive at this point. I should have been more specific: I met a couple pf ppl this past wkd who took classes MWF in TPE and gave me a number, but it didn’t work; so I’d like to see if anyone out there knows the classes i’m talkin bout/has correct info…

Shot in the dark… but hey…

Funny

My roomate told me that he saw a group of people playing Capoeira near the 101 in Taipei last weekend. Does anyone know anything about that group? I’d really like to get back into practice if I can find other people.

Best,

Yeah, I think they’re there every weekend. I got a flyer from a girl there. It looks like they do some kind of hip-hop Capoeira thing, but it seemed better than nothing to me (I’ve always wanted to try it, my brother taught me how to Jenga :slight_smile:).

tw.club.yahoo.com/clubs/house_AlunPeng/

I have some email addresses and phone numbers too if you want them (but I think I should send those PM style).

Thanks for the info. When you have a sec, forward their contact info to my email. garysaville@gmail.com

Thx again.

Just wanted to let ya’all know I found a great class and if anyone is interested in checking it out, please pm me. The class is taught by a Brazilian woman and it’s near Sun Yat Sen MRT.

Thanks!

Grupo Axe Capoeira now in Taipei City
FREE WORKSHOP
Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall
Sunday, Aug. 21, 2005 16:00-18:00
For more info. about classes or workshop call:
Monitor Indio 0954140206
indioaxecapoeira@hotmail.com

Grupo Axe Capoeira
Hours: Mon-Wed-Fri 20:00-22:00
Directions: Get off at Shanglian MRT Station, (Two stations north of taipei main station)
Exit MRT gates, but do not go upstairs into city.
walk towards Zhongshan Metro Mall (underground shopping center) untill you reach a stage.
look for people wearing white pants

For more info. contact:
Monitor Indio 0954140206
indioaxecapoeira@hotmail.com

Last Saturday night I espied a group of people doing something resembling capoeira among whom were two of my friends.

There are people practicing at the Sun-Yat Sen Memorial Hall every Monday evening 9pm. I’ve never spoken to them, but you might wanna give it a try :wink: