Car driving route Taichung -- Sun Moon Lake?

I want to check the route from Taichung to Sun Moon Lake. I’ve done it before but I don’t remember that clearly.

I want to go the south route coming in via Shuili.

It looks on the map as though the best way is to go down Wuchuan Road until it turns into the Zhongtou Expressway, then go onto Freeway No.3 at the Zhongtou interchange. After staying on the freeway for a while, we exit the freeway at Mingjian and go onto the no.3 provincial highway heading south until the junction with the no.16 heading east.

Does that sound right? We want to do this tomorrow morning.

[quote=“joesax”]I want to check the route from Taichung to Sun Moon Lake. I’ve done it before but I don’t remember that clearly.

I want to go the south route coming in via Shuili.

It looks on the map as though the best way is to go down Wuchuan Road until it turns into the Zhongtou Expressway, then go onto Freeway No.3 at the Zhongtou interchange. After staying on the freeway for a while, we exit the freeway at Mingjian and go onto the no.3 provincial highway heading south until the junction with the no.16 heading east.

Does that sound right? We want to do this tomorrow morning.[/quote]

I thought the Mingjian Interchange connects the 16 and the freeway directly. At least it seemed to when I was coming back from SML a few weeks ago. In any case, yeah, get off the freeway at Mingjian and then get on the 16 to Shuili (either directly or via a short drive on the number 3 provincial). The signs are all very clearly written in English.

SML is lookign very good these days. There’s a new 5-star hotel on the waterfront with a bar overlooking the lake and a restaurant patio right down by the water. Actually, there is a row of cafes and restaurants right by the water now. The place is really shaping up. Check out all the new facades being built up on the buildings on the main street. They seem to be trying to make the entire village attractive and not just the waterfront.

Thanks MM!