Car share program (Zipcar or iRent)

OK, hope that works because I did see this in their Google-translated FAQs:

This isn’t true anymore (they were sued because of that policy). You can sign up through the app using an ARC and local license.

1 Like

I use i rent with an arc number and a local license.
there is another service called smart2go (from car plus rental company ) and it seems arc number is not accepted by the app .
has anyone tried it?

did you sign up for iRent through the app only?

yes, I didnt manage to do it from an android phone (Samsung), but then I tried from an iPhone and it wasn’t a problem

How much does iRent cost to rent a car per hour? Do they have 7 passenger cars available?

yes for 7 seater
125 an hour weekdays, around 200 an hour on weekend and holidays, plus 3 nt per km
note: only works with tw drivers license, they dont accept international driving license
if you have intl license you need to go to a rental agency

1 Like

That’s $3000-$4800 plus $3 per km for a full day.

Maybe good for short trips around town or when you’re walking along and see one available and decide to jump in it instead of taking some other form of transportation.

Not very economical for like a long weekend.

a whole day is charged 10 hours flat rate.
it’s good in cases where you need to do a lot of short trips from place to place. for a weekend it’s still better to go through an agency

1 Like

I have used I-rent (car) for a few hours , a day and a couple of days

The rental fee depends on where do you go, distance (Km) , day of travel , so usually could be cheaper than expected

For example

This one is from Taipei to Wulai on January 1st , so since is holiday I expected will be 200per hour , however the total amount was $1287 (65km , 6h30m, Toyota Yaris)

This one is at Haulien city , for the same time as the one I took from my trip to Wulai but less Km and was on a Friday , the rental fee was $846 (41km , 6h30m, Toyota Yaris)

In general I think I-rent is a great option , however they need to improve that sometimes cars are not very clean

5 Likes

I use it for rides between Taipei (Shilin) and New Taipei (Sanchong).
By public transport it takes almost an hour but with Irent ~20 minutes.
compared to a taxi:
mid-week significantly cheaper than taxi for same distance
weekend - almost the same price as taxi

downside of irent - if the car is parked for a long time, you still pay for it, so if you plan on leaving the car parked for 3-4 hours while you run errands it might be cheaper to just take just take a taxi.

3 Likes

Is there a minimum rental time/fee? Could you not simply “return” the car and then rent again later?

I think 1 hour minimum, I’ve never used it for less to be honest.
you can return it, but run a risk some one will rent it and you wont have a car for the way back. in addition, some cars can only be returned to specific parking spots, so this is not an option in that case.
it’s quite a good service, and you get the feeling for what’s worth it and what not quite fast.

1 Like

Oh, interesting, do you know what the general rule is on this? I had assumed the car could be returned to any of their parking spots (within the same city?).

they have 2 types of rental cars, you choose which one you want in the app:

1. fixed parking - you take and return to the same place (e.g. mrt station, or neighbourhood parking lot)
  2. street side cars - you can park it street side or in affiliated parkting lots.

i usually use the fixed parking, its close to my apartment and saves me the need to look for parking coming back home.

1 Like

So, I reserved an iRent car for tomorrow at a nearby parking spot. How do I actually get the keys?

Is there a key? Isn’t it wireless over phone?

1 Like

Ah, thanks, the English helps! :sweat_smile:

Google magic page translate.

1 Like

For the Toyota Pirus C model there is no car key
however there is remote control for open and lock the doors located inside the glove box
圖片

Also this video help you explain how to turn on the car (sounds easy but could be a little confusing at first )

How-To: Remote Keyless Entry

source and more info:

1 Like