Car tire slashed

Moving someone’s scooter is illegal. You can get away with it when you’re just scooting someone over a little to fit your scooter in next to it, but not moving it out of a space completely so you can park your car there. They’ll probably take this into account if there are negotiations over damages.

Also, if you do get that person to pay for slashing your tire, you’ll probably turn them into a permanent enemy, so you may have to watch your back in the future.

8 Likes

Yeah, let’s see how those footprints factor in the damages compensation.

I don’t think they will only have to pay for the broken tyre.

There is a difference you can see the scooters that have been left purposefully to save the car spot for when they return. I acutely find it quite useful, as I can use it as a space to park my motorcycle legally next to them.

2 Likes

Indeed it does.

1 Like

Easier to move than an old laundry machine. :wink: People in Taiwan use all kinds of stuff to get a ‘reserved’ parking spot.

slightly over to nudge a scooter, sure. moving it more than that, it really depends on the person. I have had a few ladies go nuts on me for moving their scooter from behind my truck so I can back out of a car parking spot. some people are just assholes. Many more are entitled.

in this situation, i cant see a win. what actually happened was someone moved their parked vehicle. if anyone has a right it is the scooter. going to court can easily bring out the vengeance in Taiwanese DNA which will lead the person probably paying them to “fix” their scooter. this happens often enough.

not dealing with sane people here, they already slashed tires for taking their spot. imagine if they are called into police stations.

1 Like

It’s a going in hard or running away situation.

1 Like

Wouldn’t bother trying to sue them, you can make the report and have the cops contact them, they might pay up for the tire. I wouldn’t bother going any further than that, and neither should your witness if they have any sense! You also know where they regularly park their car and that there is no CCTV coverage, so they likely aren’t the brightest sparks.

A few years ago my car was broken into (along with 10~15 others in the area), I called the police and the cop was very super appreciative that I agreed to go to the station and make a formal report which I thought a bit strange, I mean why wouldn’t I want to make a formal report? Because the follow up is a complete PITA is why! If it happens again I certainly will not be making a formal report. I received numerous notifications to appear in court as a witness over about a 6 month period (car was broken into around midnight, I didn’t find the damage until the next morning so didn’t witness anything) and I’d have to call the court office and then follow up with a letter stating why I would not be attending. All written communications were in formal legal Chinese so pretty much incomprehensible, one I had to personally go to the police station to pick up, was about 30 pages long so asked the cop on the desk what I was being asked to do, he couldn’t figure it out so asked a colleague, colleague thought I was the defendant and was a bit pissy, took their sergeant to figure out it was the result of the first trial (of two). The last report contained the names, car registrations and amount of money taken from each of the 10~15 victims. My full Chinese name, English name and car reg. were all included as was everyone elses, nothing was redacted. The whole process was a massive pain and not at all worth it.

After going through all this I found out that that trial was the criminal trial, doesn’t award any damages to the victims. If I wanted damage paid for, and stolen money returned, I’d have to sue the guy separately myself.

6 Likes

Yeah, I’m not disagreeing with any of this. I was just talking about moving a scooter. I definitely wouldn’t try anything with court. People can get vindictive here. Let it be, move on, and karma will show up later for them.

2 Likes

That’s what I mean, sue them. I guess you need to prove they did it first.

Personally, I don’t think it’s worth it for a couple of thousand NT. Based on my experience the sums involved would need to be in the six figures NT$ before I’d want to go through with the process. Probably why locals take different forms of revenge.

Witness is a friend.

It might be a face losing issue with the cops, though.

Looks like a neighbor of the friend, friend only seen the aftermath and not the incident.

He states, “No CCTV coverage.”

I was always under the impression that scooters are not permitted to park in automobile spots. Clearly I’ve been told wrong.

“EDIT: It appears you don’t.”

Why would you ignore that and then reply?

ya. 2000nt for 1 new tire doesnt seem like it’s the hill to die on personally. but for ethical reasons, I get the itch.

1 Like

Cops have egos, not dignity. there’s a difference :wink:

1 Like

Looks like it wasn’t a parking spot of any kind.

2 Likes

Since we’re in the land of future speculation, let me throw this one out there: forget the incident, sell the car, use public transport and a bicycle and/or youbikes, and never deal with parking space hell or disputes over it ever again. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

2 Likes