Car tire slashed

Hello Good people of the Forumosa,

I park my car up around elephant mountain where there are no lines on the road (Red or Yellow) So it’s usually safe. Tuesday night, about 7:30pm, the only spot on the hill was occupied by a scooter. So, I moved it to park my car.

Later that night, maybe 11:30pm, the people who owned the scooter came up with their car - I guess they figured their spot was saved with their scooter, and were chocked when they saw their scooter moved and the spot taken. So, they called the cops! The cops came, and left, as the spot belongs to no one, and parking their scooter their doesn’t mean it can be saved. After the cops leave, one of the dudes decides to take matter into his own hands and slashed my front passenger tire.

I know all this because a friend of mine lives in the building in front of that parking spot. His neighbour heard the cops come, and watched the whole thing from their balcony. When the cops left and the slashing began, the neighbour yelled down to stop them. Then, that neighbour called my friend, who proceeded to go down, take pictures of the car and the scooter, before the culprit left. My friend then called the cops. He says, the same 3 cops came back. My buddy’s wife left her Chinese name and number for the complaint.

This afternoon I had some time to go check it out. My car is old, and there are so many scratches and dents as it is… so I’m not sure if they did other damage as of yet. But the front passenger side tire is flat. So I went to the local police station to give a report. They were very friendly, but said I needed to return with the witnesses, (No CCTV coverage of that area) and they will call the foreign affairs police to come (presumably because I’m a foreigner?) They said that when I get the tire fixed, I need to keep the receipt. ok, but… and here’s my question:

What should I do? I’m not really interested in going to court, but the threat of court is ok with me. I don’t have video or any photos of them actually doing it, just the two eyewitnesses, and the fact the cops came twice. Do I press charges? Will I be reimbursed for the damages? Am I entitled to any other compensation my time, frustration, and, effort?

I’ll follow up with what happens tomorrow. I’m very interested to hear peoples comments or similar stories. The fact that the culprit called the cops first, then slashed my tire out of frustration, should be grounds for something, no?

Thank you all in advance.
D&G

1 Like

Do you know who slashed your tire? CCTV etc?

EDIT: It appears you don’t.

You should do nothing! Next time don’t move the scooter, because the parking lot is also not yours.

6 Likes

A witness (neighbor of his friend) saw who did slash it and yelled at them to stop. (It’s all in his post)

2 Likes

Have fun with that

2 Likes

It sounds like you’ll be entirely dependent on the word of that witness. I wouldn’t make any specific accusations to the police, it could turn around to be damaging for you.

1 Like

Police was there just before that occurred. Called by those who did the damage to complain about their scooter being moved. Not hard to find them.
If the witness cooperates, then it is a sure win. But case can be dragged out for years, if they don’t want to settle.

5 Likes

Yeah, supposedly.

My mate was involved in a scooter accident. He went to the mediation place to negotiate. They settled at 15k. The other guy pulled out some blues from his red envelope as he paid up. Doh!

What does it mean? That he was expecting to pay more than 15k?

2 Likes

I’m with @araujobsd . Fix your tires, swallow your pride (I know this can be hard)—and in the future don’t move other people’s vehicles, even if it looks tempting to do so.

Guy

1 Like

I was saying that one thing is annoying and the other one is an attack, and costs money and time. I’d sue and get the money.

I would prosecute, he has a good case.

2 Likes

Her friend’s wife left her contact info so she’s open to help with this. Cops know part of the story that happened right before the car was vandalised. Probably the guys who did it don’t look exactly like good kids… I say go for it!

2 Likes

@Marco I think this is an appropriate place for your contact

1 Like

Nothing I can tell you would be legal advice.

1 Like

I’ve watched my wife move scooters countless times so she could park, both when driving a car or scooter. It’s a pretty common Taiwanese thing.

4 Likes

probably only worth it for ethical reasons a new tire is 2k. bringing 2 witnesses into the police station and eating up many hours of their time probably isnt worth it from a financial perspective. but the fact they yelled at the idiots and also called the cops might reflect their morals and they may be happy to help.

I would base my going forward on how much trouble it may make for others rather than getting 2000 back after probably more than that spent.

Depending how the scooter is parked, it’s also a dick thing. But sometimes the right thing (eg. scooter in a car spot). in this case, it leans more dick than right because the scooter theoretically has the sameright to park there as a car. I cant see him winning. I. fact I can see the defendant making more trouble and getting some fake scooter repair Bill’s and making him pay damages when he moved the scooter (because he has already admitted doing so).

2 Likes

Must just be where I live then, because most people don’t seem to mind here. Just sliding a scooter over a bit so you can fit yours in too. Although, people get very uppity here if you move their cones for a moment so you can parallel park in the spot next to theirs.

1 Like