Career advice: Taiwan vs USA

That’s just sad. I don’t think going the South Korea route and bleeding employers dry is the way to go but 24000 is just pathetic.

Actually it’s the fifth raise in a row. It’s not great for Taiwan in East Asia but it’s a pretty good wage compared to south east Asian countries.

1 Like

Typical News Lens bad journalism.

South Korea’s minimum wage is 8350 KRW/hr, which is around 210 TWD, aka ~30% higher.

But sure, believe everything you read on the internet.

1 Like

This article and chart are comparing monthly minimum wages. Read again.

The only place you can find claiming Korea’s monthly minimum wage to be that high is Taiwanese media. The agenda is pretty clear. 50k+/month is close to the highest in the world. Much higher than European and American minimum wage (save for a couple of richest countries/states).

Let’s say it’s true. If you are an employer, when the monthly minimum wage is close to TWICE as much as paying someone on an hourly basis, what would you do? I think the answer is pretty clear: you hire someone (or 2 people, each works 20 hrs/week) and pay them by the hour on minimum wage instead of paying a much more expensive monthly minimum wage.

Thats true, the Chart is wrong.
Koreas hourly wage is 212 NTD
Taiwans is 158 NTD.
Its a 33% difference.

Not everyone is paid by the hour. Also it doesn’t change the fact that South Korea’s minimum wage is relatively higher anyways since it’s GDP per capita is only 24 percent higher (Using last year exchange rate and GDP if using this year it will be less than 20 percent).

Average Monthly Net Salary (After Tax), Salaries And Financing

South Korea 2,339.78 $ = 68817.61 TWD

Taiwan 1,408.00 $ = 41412 TWD
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_price_rankings?displayCurrency=USD&itemId=105&region=142

It seems it is not reporting hourly rate but the monthly minimum salary.
But I haven’t been able to get a monthly minimum salary number for Korea.
If there isn’t any for full time workers you may be correct.

NMW SOUTH KOREA 2019

The national minimum wage increase in South Korea

In 2019, the national minimum wage in South Korea remained fixed at 1,365.6 € per month ((47546.25 NTD)), that is 16,387 euros per year ((570.798NTD)), taking into account 12 payments per year.

If we look at the minimum salary in South Korean won, which is the official currency in South Korea, we can see that, this year, it was 1,745,150 South Korean won and accordingly, the national minimum wage has been raised 171,380 South Korean won per month from the previous year, 10.89%. This increase is greater than the CPI of 2018 which was 1.3%, so workers have gained buying power in the last year.

monthly minimum salary
South Korea 47546.25 NTD

Taiwan 23800 NTD

Numbeo is a garbage website. Nothing about it is remotely accurate.

And

When not paying someone by the hour is much more expensive than paying someone by the hour, everyone will be paid by the hour.

Welcome to the real world.

Can you post a more accurate reference then ? :sunglasses:

I just noticed that Taiwan’s minimum hourly wage is going to go up by 2NTD/hour.****. A whole 16 NTD more for 8 hours work …This is also significantly less than the rate of inflation so those people are becoming slightly poorer. These are the games the government and business associations play here.

1 Like

It is way too little, but Korea’s minimum wage will go up by 130 KRW in 2021, that’s about 3NTD/hour.

Governments everywhere are using covid as an excuse.

Government’s stats are accurate. A CROWDSOURCED WEBSITE is not.

so we had a preliminary talk and the first proposal is the following for the US package:

Base salary: $7,000 month
Sales incentives per unit and per monthly targets: this would mean anywhere from $1,000-$5,000 depending on sales results
Rent, Car, Utilities, Phone and Gas monthly subsidy: $5,000 for the first year and reduced to $2,500 the next year once we start a real office.

In the meantime Taiwan salary will be raised NT. 15,000 a month starting January 2021 + sales incentives per unit starting July 2020 (looks about 5-8,000NT extra per month).

The American dream.

No, but at least you won’t get mugged. That’s a daily concern in the US. Here it’s well, wait and see, and if you’re a foreigner they’ll probably fly you out when things go bad.

Add Europe to that. It would be absurd there too.

I would personally choose Taiwan.

JFC! I mean I bet this is the same as what you started the thread writing, but it’s still such an incredibly stark difference!! Like, are you really bringing them more than 10x value by basing in the US instead of Taiwan?

Anyway, I would definitely come to the US. It should be an exciting challenge, launching a new office in a new country. An early congrats to you!