Carnaval en Taipei February 24-25 Taipei Expo Park Yuanshan MRT Maji Square

Experience the Vibrant Heart of Latin and Caribbean Culture at Carnaval Taipei 2024!

Join us at Expo Park, Taipei, on February 24-25, for a spectacular celebration featuring authentic food, drinks, and handicrafts from diverse Latin and Caribbean nations.

Don’t miss the electrifying performances by the renowned Bloco Força, a dynamic group of young professional drummers passionate about Samba percussion, and the sensational Taiwan Latin Smash Orchestra, Taiwan’s premier Latin jazz Salsa band.

Get ready for an unforgettable weekend of Salsa, Mambo, ChaCha, Son, and Boogaloo rhythms that will leave you dancing and craving for more.

Mark your calendars for Carnaval Taipei 2024 – Where Taiwan Meets the Rhythms of Latin America and the Caribbean!"

10 Likes

Tacos!

Out of that long list of vendors scheduled to be this weekend at Yuanshan, are there any you’d recommend? At my age, I don’t think I could eat my way through 48 stalls. :joy:

Guy

4 Likes

Well, there are some conflict of interests due to friend’s enterprises but I noticed you guys want to try Teotihuacan. And of course Azúcar.

2 Likes

I’d say try some of the ones that don’t actually have a physical shop. They only do especially events or cook out of homes or something. There are some of those but still really good food.

And try some that aren’t within a reasonable distance of where you typically eat.

3 Likes

Can’t find the other thread now for some reason. But for those not in Taipei that weekend, we planned to go to this one. Kind of regret not know about this one though, seems much bigger!

Edit. Looking at it. Notice some “game” places, some non latino places and some associations. Is this a food fair or a fair with food? Some restaraunts I recognize and like. I am seriously considering taking 2 days off and doing a day trip up there to see. But not if it’s not a proper food fair. Not interested in taiwnaese versions nor associations etc. Is it a proper food fair with eat in options?

2 Likes

I just had Carnaval in Brazil. There were vendors at the bloquinho but all they sold was beer and drinks, not much food. Weird.

There is food…if you get there early.

There is some sort of competition for the best taco in Taiwan. At least, you won’t complain about variety.

The eat in is debatable, as you still have to find a place to sit in Maji after you get your plate of tacos.

1 Like

When does this get started?

Do you recommend lunch or dinner?

Guy

Lunch definitely. By 3pm only the tables will be standing.

Nighttime is for the dancing/party events. Some food but I expect mostly drinks.

3 Likes

It’s alright. I’ve been to a couple of them I think, but I don’t find it much different from any of these events at Maji Square (Meat Lover’s Festival or whatever the other ones were called). Quite crowded. They’re okay with a group of friends, but I kind of got sick of them at some point. I don’t think I’ll bother going this year. I wouldn’t personally make a long trip just for this, but if it’s interesting for you maybe it’s worthwhile.

I don’t think you need to go especially early for food. The previous ones went on until 10 p.m. or so, and getting food wasn’t an issue until after at least 9 p.m.

2 Likes

Any comments / reviews / suggestions from people who went there today? I.e. should I motivate myself to head there tomorrow?

I’m specifically curious about vegetarian options I suppose, since that’s what my wife would want.

Super crowded due to multiple events scheduled at the same time. I enjoyed the Teotihuacan stall, I’ll probably try out their restaurant after eating at the stall today

5 Likes

Didn’t make it this time. But over the years I have always enjoyed their restaraunt. All their locations. Pretty yummy food!

I hit the stalls at Yuanshan earlier today. While yes the area was again populated by cosplaying youth it was (at least earlier in the lunch hour) not too crowded. I guess that brisk cold wind blasting down from the north helped to keep the crowds under control.

While there, I found friendly people and good vibes. The tacos I tried (I will not name the shop as I am not here to name-and-shame) struck me as expensive and unmemorable street food; I dunno maybe I caught these people on a bad day. The Latino theme at the event spilled over into the Anglo Caribbean, including two friendly guys with Jamaican connections. Their jerk chicken, served with some kind of pickled coleslaw and a complimentary beverage, was very good—and when paired with their house-made scotch bonnet hot pepper sauce, it rocketed into the realm of the awesome! That set cost me NT$200 (cheaper than the tacos). I’d try their food again in a flash.

Guy

4 Likes

PS There were indeed a number of vegetarian places in the festival zone. And if these places were not to one’s liking, Solo Pizza is right near by! :grin:

Guy

3 Likes

A Spanish stall also had (vegetarian) Tortilla de papas. It was really great, perfect for a cold day. For some reason the gentleman there kept speaking to me in Russian, even after I told him I wasn’t Russian :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

The cosplay event was nice too, I think I’m more otaku than latina, so I enjoyed that more :joy:

3 Likes