Carnegie's - Food & Service

The 25 year rule is long-standing (over 4 years) and yes, whilst it may seem excessive to some, it does work for both our regular customers and ourselves, so I make no apology for it. Also, within the last couple of weeks, there has been a clamp down by the Taipei City Government on the maximum capacity we are allowed to have within the premises and applying this in-house rule more stringently at my own insistence is one of the ways that our regular patrons are able to use the facilities. We have a membership system and having a membership card as a recognition of regular patronage is helpful in getting in, even though at times when capacity is reached it may be that they too have to wait a short while before getting in but they receive priority. The rule is not based on or targetted at any ethnicity either.

The above notwithstanding, I understand the contradictory remark of the person on the door and apologise to both yourself and your wife for any actual or implied insult.

If you wish, you can PM me and I can arrange a membership card for you both. We do have people below 25 who are members.

Sincerely,

Bob Marshall
General Manager

Dear Bob,

Thank you for your good customer service I retract my comments made earlier. I do enjoy going to Carnegieā€™s so it would be a shame to not go just because of this. I can understand the pressure on you from the clamp down, the place I went to after Carnegieā€™s was raided by the police who did a head count among other things. So I do agree with your rules also. Thank you for sorting this out so professionally and Iā€™ll be back again in the near future when my parents come to visit. :slight_smile:

Kahr

Had a nice Lunch menu chicken curry recently, with some of my forumosan muckers. The big flat bread was nice, and proper rice, not short grain rice. Chicken not that spicy, but that was fine for lunch. Donā€™t really like that jam stuff, but thatā€™s just a personal taste thing; itā€™s a little sweet.

Helped diminish the trauma of Heathrow having confiscated all my luggage, no doubt for their own vile purposes.

Lovely service, as ever, from Effie, who is an absolute gem.

[quote=ā€œButtercupā€]Had a nice Lunch menu chicken curry recently, with some of my forumosan muckers. The big flat bread was nice, and proper rice, not short grain rice. Chicken not that spicy, but that was fine for lunch. Donā€™t really like that jam stuff, but thatā€™s just a personal taste thing; itā€™s a little sweet.

Helped diminish the trauma of Heathrow having confiscated all my luggage, no doubt for their own vile purposes.

Lovely service, as ever, from Effie, who is an absolute gem.[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words. We always use Basmati rice unlike most Indian places in Taiwan. Effie is great. Been with us for many years and ever energetic. Thought you were a Manc? Why not just fly direct ex Singapore or HK or through Dubai to Manchester instead of London; sure, it may be a bit more for the ticket but subtract the costs of getting into and out of London and itā€™s about the same. Just a thought.

Bob

Ner, it was a last minute decision to go, 48000 for a Cathay Pacific peasant class ticket, with the BA shuttle from Manchester. (Yes, my mother lives 15 mins in a taxi from Manc airport.)

I think I would do just about anything to avoid Heathrow. It is the devilā€™s stomping ground. Because some twat set fire to his shoes, everyone has to have their shoes X-rayed now, did you know? I enjoyed standing in that queue, especially. Luggage losing, nylon-wearing destroyers of Albion.

Anyway, off-topic.

All your waitresses are nice, helpful and efficient, but Effie is really great. It canā€™t be an easy job, waitressing in another language, with a such big menu.

[quote=ā€œButtercupā€]
All your waitresses are nice, helpful and efficient, but Effie is really great. It canā€™t be an easy job, waitressing in another language, with a such big menu.[/quote]

She waitresses in two languages not native to herself. Her first language is Bahasa (Indonesian). I think that Huang Guang Chen may have been the only person ever to have placed an order in Effieā€™s first language. She told me a few years ago that at that time she had only learned Mandarin in the preceding three years. Clever woman. One of the nicest people I know actually.

Bob

P.S. Last minute or no, donā€™t CX fly direct to MAN ex HKG (maybe with a stop in DXB)?

The indefatigable Effie! Seeing her bright smile as she bolted down the stairs to say hi last time I was over your way was fantastic. Saya cinta Effie!

In a region so bereft of good service* it really is solid testament to your management that you can retain legends like Effie.

:notworthy:

Well done!

HG

• Stumbling in early for the 3am ferry last night I attempted to slip past the ferry ticket dude to use the public toilet. He stopped me and told me I couldnā€™t use it, so I pissed all over his little booth. It was very fortunate for him that: a) I wasnā€™t in need of a dump; and b) by the time my brain conceived the idea of pissing in the tray where he takes the money, I was down to a trickle and couldnā€™t manage the height. Mind you he obviously didnā€™t know that when I shifted aim because he froze in panic and didnā€™t have the wherewithal to shut the trap. Iā€™m quietly confident he won;t obstruct access to a public toilet ever again.

Iā€™m just going to add to the chorus of nice things said about Carnegieā€™sā€¦ I donā€™t get there as much as Iā€™d like to, but every time I go its just fabulous. My kid loves Cā€™s, and my wife loves Cā€™s. The food and service are examples of how good a place can be. The curries are outstandingā€¦ the lunch sets are fantasticā€¦ Iā€™ve never had a bad meal thereā€¦

Sadly, this past Friday morning I lost all of my most important cardsā€¦ my credit card, my atm card, my NHI card, my card key for my office, and my Carnegieā€™s VIP card. Iā€™ve taken care of the new credit, atm and office key cards. Next on my list to replace is my Carnegieā€™s VIP card.

Oh HEY! I finally got round to trying the curry on Sunday.

YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY.

[quote=ā€œirishstuā€]Oh HEY! I finally got round to trying the curry on Sunday.

YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY.[/quote]

I am indeed gratified that you seemed to have enjoyed it.

Bob

How do I get a fried egg with my breakie? Scrambled, no problem. Over easy, no problem. But a couple of times Iā€™ve asked for a fried egg, over hard, not easy, hard, and both times itā€™s come over easy. Whatā€™s the secret password?

Fried egg - tell them you want a ā€œhe bao danā€ Itā€™ll come fried with a fully cooked yolk.

Iā€™ll be honest with you, and maybe this is because I donā€™t go out enough, but I am unfamiliar with the term ā€˜over hardā€™, as your post is the first time I have ever come across it (yes I know what it would mean, it is just that I have never heard it). Perhaps instead of using that term, try putting it to the staff in the form of an explanation or ask for it well done, rather than using a term which may be unusual or unfamiliar. Over easy is commonly heard; once the wait staff receives the word ā€˜overā€™ there is not an unreasonable assumption on their part that it is ā€˜over easyā€™ and the word ā€˜hardā€™ is inadvertently missed as they begin to or are in the process of writing your order down in English. Bear in mind that you are ordering in a language other than their first. YCā€™s suggestion, if you speak Mandarin would seem to make sense if you speak it. The password would therefore seem to be ā€˜clarityā€™.

Regards,

Bob

Yeah, clarity is why I cooked up ā€œover hardā€. Had my sweetie with me, and she also made clear my meaning in Mandarin. :idunno: Try again next.

K.I.S.S.

Therein lies the answer and repeat it if you are unsure that it was understood the first time. Our staff are supposed to repeat the order back to you. Unfortunately, it may be that that specific can get lost at the point of sale (data input) before being printed out in the kitchen. Sorry about that.

Youā€™re flagged now though.

Cheers,

Bob

I had the eggs Benedict today, but asked for and got only half the spinach. Good stuff. :bravo:

One (quite minor) annoyance was asking to have the awning extended, as it was starting to rain, and being told that it was too windy. Not more than five minutes later, it started raining a little harder, I quickly moved to a recently vacated table inside, bussed the table, wiped it clean and moved our stuff over. Just as we finished, the awning was extended and our now-sheltered table occupied by someone else. Grrr.

This is such a minor thing that I almost hate to mention it, especially as Carnegieā€™s is hands down our favorite restaurant, but it was a little annoying.

Anyway, weā€™ll be back again soon.

PS Bob, Carnegieā€™s anniversary bash is also Vā€™s birthday. Can you put aside a couple of invites for us?

[quote=ā€œMaomanā€]I had the eggs Benedict today, but asked for and got only half the spinach. Good stuff. :bravo:

One (quite minor) annoyance was asking to have the awning extended, as it was starting to rain, and being told that it was too windy. Not more than five minutes later, it started raining a little harder, I quickly moved to a recently vacated table inside, bussed the table, wiped it clean and moved our stuff over. Just as we finished, the awning was extended and our now-sheltered table occupied by someone else. Grrr.

This is such a minor thing that I almost hate to mention it, especially as Carnegieā€™s is hands down our favorite restaurant, but it was a little annoying.

Anyway, weā€™ll be back again soon.

PS Bob, Carnegieā€™s anniversary bash is also Vā€™s birthday. Can you put aside a couple of invites for us?[/quote]

Sorry about the annoyance caused by the awning thing. When is gusty, the strain on the fastenings can be quite severe so we have to be cautious with regard to safety. It may have been that the wind lessened even though the rain continued and that is why it was extended. The staff are only acting under my specific instructions on this. Blame me.

Other than that, I am happy that your food was fine. Your invites will be put aside, but if it is really really busy on the 13th for the party, I can only allow V. in. :smiling_imp: (thatā€™s for buggering up my Sunday evening by compelling me to respond here. :wink: )

Cheers,

Bob

I have a complaint. I was in there on Friday and Monday evenings and had to put up with fantastic and smiling service*, a superb rib eye steak, salad and chips matched with two pots of exquisite sauces - all of which was off the menu but tackled without question - several gin and tonics, the presence of the chief, an iron comrade whoā€™s been missing in action for sometime, an ironman, the very own Sir TpeBob and a sparkling array of non-Forumosan Taipei identities, some delightful intervention into my hotel arrangements which inspired the missus into new bedroom vistas, and fuck me! Sat out there like Jacky at the bar, my man wanting to cart me out to the airport in a luxury car I could smoke in, and I was completely disinterested in returning to HK. How do you hope to stay in business?

HG

• Aiyo, my dear ever young and indefatigable Effie. She somehow managed to make me consider the upside to polygamy AND make the missus think it not such a bad idea either. If only she wasnā€™t already taken!

[quote=ā€œHuang Guang Chenā€]I have a complaint. I was in there on Friday and Monday evenings and had to put up with fantastic and smiling service*, a superb rib eye steak, salad and chips matched with two pots of exquisite sauces - all of which was off the menu but tackled without question - several gin and tonics, the presence of the chief, an iron comrade whoā€™s been missing in action for sometime, an ironman, the very own Sir TpeBob and a sparkling array of non-Forumosan Taipei identities, some delightful intervention into my hotel arrangements which inspired the missus into new bedroom vistas, and fuck me! Sat out there like Jacky at the bar, my man wanting to cart me out to the airport in a luxury car I could smoke in, and I was completely disinterested in returning to HK. How do you hope to stay in business?

HG

• Aiyo, my dear ever young and indefatigable Effie. She somehow managed to make me consider the upside to polygamy AND make the missus think it not such a bad idea either. If only she wasnā€™t already taken![/quote]

Thanks for the complaint HG. Glad you enjoyed your visit and the room with a view.

Since your departure, Efi hasnā€™t quite been the same.

Everyone: Next Saturday (13th) is our Sixth Anniversary Party. It is invitation only so any Forumosans or browsers who have a membership card must get their invitations before then.

We will be closed to the public from 4 p.m. until 9 p.m.

Cheers,

Bob

Looking eagerly forward to this. Do I need to dress up?