Carrefour Taichung

Can anyone explain to me why they are opening a new Carrefour on WenXin Rd. approximately 3 blocks away from an existing Carrefour on DaDun Rd? Are they planning on closing the old one or is this just part of the Tesco buyout?

Any ideas?

It’s the Tesco buyout. The store was already under construction for Tesco when they sold out. I don’t know if they have any plans for the Ta Tun store and I honestly don’t care. For all intents and purposes Carrefour is a local vegetable market with air conditioning.

I Spoke to the GM of the DaDun store at some wine tasting event right when they announced the takeover. He said that they are going to “shishikan.” Which I took to mean "I have no f$%(ing clue. Untimatley it’s probably just going to be a big problem for both locations. The Wenxin Rd. locaiton is definatley a better location, and as it is Tesco’s design it’s going to have more secondary retail space which should be a good draw. But what would they do with the huge box on Dadun?

[quote=“ematheww”]what would they do with the huge box on Dadun?[/quote]Continue on as the ‘wuchi’ area’s biggest free parking lot? :wink:

I’m just worried about losing the mechanics in that parking lot… they’re the ones who repaired the back end of my car for under NT$10k… WELL… and get me sets of Dunlop offroad tyres for 10k a set.

Well, it’s official. Carrefour is now just a regular Taiwanese supermarket. Dogs in the store now. :raspberry:

hey taiwanese dogs have the right to go just bout anywhere, dont you know that?? :slight_smile::slight_smile: MOrdeth takes his bowbow almost everywhere.

i do admit that i didnt like the total "taiwanization " of carrefour. They really should keep at least a modest French presence?? I always liked the TienMU store and felt that was the best carrefour (at least of all the ones i had gone to). Donno if that one is still the best and most “foreign” ?

[quote=“tommy525”]
i do admit that i didnt like the total "taiwanization " of carrefour. They really should keep at least a modest French presence??[/quote]Yes, well, like most things here, it’s the perception of foreign-ness that counts rather than the reality. The LCD wants whatever caché there is by shopping at a ‘foreign supermarket’, they just don’t want to buy any of that weird foreign food…
It’s funny that the Shinnung opposite the Chinghai Rd. Carrefour makes no claims whatsover to being a foreign supermarket, but now stocks far more imported food, and that selection seems to be growing while every trip to Carrefour results in finding some item is no longer stocked. Carrefour seems to see growth in volume of cut-price items as desireable while Shinnung sees a niche and expands in that direction.
The smart move now is to park at Carrefour, buy bulk toilet paper etc. there, then walk across the road and shop for food and booze at Shinnung. :wink:

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“tommy525”]
i do admit that i didnt like the total "taiwanization " of carrefour. They really should keep at least a modest French presence??[/quote]Yes, well, like most things here, it’s the perception of foreign-ness that counts rather than the reality. The LCD wants whatever caché there is by shopping at a ‘foreign supermarket’, they just don’t want to buy any of that weird foreign food…
It’s funny that the Shinnung opposite the Chinghai Rd. Carrefour makes no claims whatsover to being a foreign supermarket, but now stocks far more imported food, and that selection seems to be growing while every trip to Carrefour results in finding some item is no longer stocked. Carrefour seems to see growth in volume of cut-price items as desireable while Shinnung sees a niche and expands in that direction.
The smart move now is to park at Carrefour, buy bulk toilet paper etc. there, then walk across the road and shop for food and booze at Shinnung. :wink:[/quote]

Come on, give them a break… at least you don’t have all that arsing about trying to calculate when you have to return given that parking costs NT$3.5NT per 8.4 seconds unless you buy at least 4 1/2 toilet rolls with a Super Discount card on every second Sunday. Our Sunday ritual is now to park up at Carrefour Wenxin, rent some DVDs from the Blockbuster there, eat at Yakiniku then buy a bumper load of discount Carrefour crap.

[quote=“llary”]
Come on, give them a break… at least you don’t have all that arsing about trying to calculate when you have to return given that parking costs NT$3.5NT per 8.4 seconds unless you buy at least 4 1/2 toilet rolls with a Super Discount card on every second Sunday.[/quote]I could deal with that if they had anything in the store worth buying, or unavailable elsewhere. Thing is, they don’t.
And go there on a Sunday? :loco:

We do appreciate the free / hassle-free parking though. Now, if they would just build a pedestrian crossing bridge over to Shinnung, it would be perfect. :wink: