Carrefour to take over tesco stores

When I first saw the shopping cart wheels lock into place, I was amazed at good engineering. Don’t have this in the US. In the US, it is much cheaper just to buy more land and build a bigger store than to dig in the ground or build a second level. I don’t think this is necessarily a good thing, because you have to drive very far away for everything in the US. I want convenience!

Go to Costco again, during the week. The cart-pullers only exist on the weekends (at least in Kaohsiung). They are only there for the purpose of giving the customers the feeling the’re being taken care of. Forget the trolley-pulling experience, that’s just a detail.

I can imagine that some moron can get to the top and not know how to push the cart onto the upper platform. The pullers are probably there for that reason: To weed out the morons. At least Monday to Friday, a moron can probably figure out the cart issue before another shopper bangs them in the ass.

Avoiding weekends (for shopping) can eliminate a LOT of problems. However, at Costco, there’s all that free food on the weekends. Eat those free butter-sauteed scallops and then don’t buy any–the package is too big. Over a thousand dollars for one of their plastic-covered trays of scallops? They should sell them in packages of less than 10. People would buy that. The ground beef? Great for restaurants, but I find it tiresome to thaw out the beef that I don’t use the first time. If they could also package smaller, I think more people would buy stuff. Yeah, it’s “wholesale”, but not everything has to be that way.

Any ‘handover’ date for the French to take over?

I’m wondering if the takeover been delayed. According to the original report, we were supposed to say goodbye to Tesco some time toward the end of this month. If that were to be so, I’d expect them to be flogging off most of their own-brand products at huge reductions, just to get something for them rather than chucking them away, as I presume they’ll all have to come off the shelves when Carrefour take over. But when I went there yesterday, there were hardly any special offers on any of that stuff, and no super-cheap prices at all. Also, I didn’t see any kind of notice anywhere informing customers that the store would be changing ownership in the near future.

I would like to know what is going on.

Well said that man.

DON’T PANIC!! DON’T PANIC!!!

STOP IT!

My roommate thought that taking me to a steakhouse would make me feel right at home, being a foreigner and all. Steak houses aren’t really big in the UK and I very rarely ate out back home, but I can pretty much guarantee they didn’t serve fatty broiling cuts and noodles. ‘What, in Western steak houses they serve fries?!’ ‘Err yes… when you said you lived in the states for a few months, what exactly were you doing out there?’

I feel sick just thinking about Taiwanese ‘bread’. How could anyone prefer that bleached sugary crap over a good, freshly baked multigrain batch loaf that’s still doughy as you bite into it? I’ll have to stop, I’m getting slightly aroused.

As soon as I move out of Taipei I’m going to be cooking exclusively at home and my arteries can’t wait.

[quote=“belgian pie”]The steakhouses in Taiwan do good business because they are darn cheap and include all … from salad bar to dessert and drinks … no one cares about the ever present pepper sauce because it’s so darn cheap … servuce and quality is crap tho … but who cares … it’s CHEAP … Steak with noodles! :noway:
… Steak w/ green pepper (real)cream sauce and fries Belgian style … that’s the way to go … and a good beer … apple pie … yummie[/quote]

not seen anything out here that suggests an imminent take-over either.

we can still hope …

As posted in an earlier reply, the TESCO’s will be operated by Carrefour, but will continue selling TESCO products. (Until everything is sold out I sincerely think). I also expect a name change in max 1 year. (CHA-LE-FOU) :stuck_out_tongue:

On the other hand, CARREFOUR is as much FRENCH in Taiwan, as I am a Tootsie…
“President Chain stores” (the guys from Starbucks and 7-11 etc) are the puppet holders, and THAT is why Carrefour SUCKS here in Taiwan.
If only the guys from Dairy Farm group would consider opening some Hypermarkets fitting more our needs… :slight_smile: (as Jason is overprized on some articles)

The deal between Carrefour and Tesco is simply exchanging their both failing presence in Taiwan and Czechoslovakia… (Carrefour withdraws there)

…actually, 4 branches in the Slovak Republic (or Slovakia) and 11 in the Czech Republic. The Slovak Republic has been an independent country since January 1st 1993, after the so called “Velvet divorce” from the Czech Republic. :slight_smile:

…actually, 4 branches in the Slovak Republic (or Slovakia) and 11 in the Czech Republic. The Slovak Republic has been an independent country since January 1st 1993, after the so called “Velvet divorce” from the Czech Republic. :slight_smile:[/quote]

:bravo: Thanks for the update Grootkrokodil.
Damned, those Microsoft people are sooooo lazy, as my grammar checker still recognizes Czechoslovakia :loco:

No problem! :blush: …actually, the only reason I know, is because my sister-in-law is a Slovak… :blush:

looks like the takeover will be early next year …

taipeitimes.com/News/biz/arc … 2003284115

was hoping that they forgot :frowning:

it’s happened, and it’s shyte.

all the “put away” food put away before 10. a great deal of crap for sale. and nice long line-ups …

time for a costco trip.

[quote=“xtrain”]it’s happened, and it’s shyte.

all the “put away” food put away before 10. a great deal of crap for sale. and nice long line-ups …

time for a costco trip.[/quote]
I went to Tesco-cum-Carrefour yesterday to pick up a few things. Actually, the only thing I really wanted was the flavored sparkling waters they used to carry. Used to carry. To hell with Terrifour. And just how irritating are the advertising jingles they play on a loop at a thousand decibels throughout the store? :fume: