Carrigeen Moss Pudding (Irish Moss Pudding) with Asian Moss ha

So in Ireland and UK I had this, it seems it is like Taiwanese or Japanese Kanten 洋菜 is the same as the “moss” as both are sea plants, I wonder could I use 洋菜 to make Moss pudding , anyone try this or find it in Taiwan. I am trying now

2 Likes

Done, maybe next time stronger milk/cream

What is should look it:

4 Likes

Never heard of 'moss pudding '.
Looks good though.

I thought carrageen is a seaweed (turns out it’s a red algae and also called a moss ) and it produces the chemical carigeenan which is a gelling agent, used to make jelly I think.

The word carrageen is a Gaelic word (possibly means little rock ?) so I always think it’s cool that it became the basis for naming a chemical.

4 Likes

Thanks for the background on Carrigeen and good you know Gaelic too. It’s interesting that this local native food is not as popular in Ireland now but I guess like many places fast food and easy-pop food what people like more. It’s to my surprise this dish is almost (almost!) the same in Ireland-Taiwan-Japan and I guess many people do not know it. I will try a fruit based one next. This subject got me to try make it (while I work at home): Where can I buy crumpets? 烤麵餅 - #6 by finley

3 Likes

This is interesting, the difference between carrageenan and agar.

We often make agar agar pudding. It’s refreshing, but I don’t really like the all or nothing way the jelly fractures. It’s not a soft jelly like animal gelatin. Is carrageenan pudding smoother?

1 Like

I think you are confusing it with carrig mhor?

In Arkansas?

1 Like

Or fantasia?

1 Like

It seems from what I remember it is smother but I will try make it if I have time to find the powder and see for sure.

2 Likes

Its not that abused red algae that is treated badly to the point of self hatred and pigment change…is it?

Never heard of the term moss pudding either until now. Interesting stuff.

Is it not normal color red? and few others like green and brown?

1 Like

I am not sure what species this algae is in the topics original post. Some algae are brown-red naturally. However the red algae supplements etc are made through green or “blue” (still green…) species being “abused” to stress them into to creating other compounds. It is actually quite interesting if anyone cares to learn more it is certainly worth a quick glance :slight_smile:

Red alage is old, not new with 7,000+ kinds such the one in Ireland or the one I used to make to pudding. In Taiwan there is many uses, you see it in Nori (Sushi seaweed), makes rubbers, or farms like MAYO ORGANIC SEAWEED COMPANY LIMITED in Ireland.

1 Like

Yes, it is old. I am just joking around that it is abused because now we can farm and stress them to turn red for commercial production.

1 Like

OK ! Hope you do get to try it, wild food

1 Like

I made a Carrigeen one today from a Japanese mix (hope I read it right), anyways its softer than Agar (Taiwan-Japanese) and will post photos later

3 Likes

Carrigeen, which seems “soft”

2 Likes