Cat doesn't really like dry food (but chows down on wet foods)

So I wonder is it common for cats to not like dry food? I put out dry food and the cat acts like he’s not hungry or won’t eat it (or if he does eat it he eats it in tiny little bits), but as soon as I put out raw meats, canned food, etc. he eats like he never eaten in days. Last owner told me to not spoil him on canned food because I heard they’re actually not that good for cats even though they love it… so what is it?

Cats need a lot of water or else they have kidney problems. They do not like kibble naturally and most kibble will not meet their protein needs. Wet food is good but canned food has ingredients that are low quality. Plus if you feed only wet food the cat’s teeth will suffer. And brushing them regularly is required anyways.

That is why raw diet is suggested. It has enough water in the food and nutrition but especially protein. Cats are carnivores.

1 Like

When you said raw diet you mean give them a raw chicken leg or a raw fish right?

I suspect my cat has a raw diet whether or not I give him… he brings home dead rats… sometimes eviscerated. I have water bowl but he doesn’t seem to drink from it. He prefer drinking from the toilet for some reason.

1 Like

Too much can food or wet food as Icon puts it the cats teeth suffer. I never heard of a raw diet, Icon is well ahead of me there, looking it up now.

My cats get mon-fri dry food and a treat of some wet food at the weekend.

I’m sure my cat’s teeth is fine… I get to be his test subject every now and then. And the rats probably didn’t like it.

I got lots of rats in my neighborhood because assholes keep dumping shit in the street outside, and there are loads of rats it attracts. Someone need to do something about it.

Stop the wet and only use dry
The Cat will eat it. But cats are picky, some nice Pets stores Have Free samples, find a flavor the cat likes or by a bag , the place i go has 7 day returns
I have had cats for over 40 years and never fed or recommended a wet diet.
If you buy cat food at 7/11 or simple mart that’s normally low quality i would expect noses to be turned . We got a shelter cat that was living on the streets decided to get royal canin about 800 nt for almost 3kg
Thanks for helping with the :rat: rats, nasty dirty little buggers…good luck!

1 Like

I got my cat food from Costco. I guess I can return them.

I got some free sample of a different cat food at Costco and the cat seem to like that one better, but it’s also real expensive too.

Probably cause the bag is huge haha, yes you can return stuffs there!

Glad your treating the cat well!

the problem is the other bag is twice as expensive as the Costco maintenance cat. It is 100nt cheaper but half the size. Plus I can’t be sure if it’s because it’s something new that the cat likes, and that he’ll grow tired of it quickly. I guess I can mix the canned food with the Costco food…

I had a cat live 18 years and ate the same dry food. Never complained haha
Last 4 cats all (strict indoor) I have regulated the dry food, no open bowl of food. They get crazy begging at times but i dont want unhealthy overweight cats eating up designer pet foods
With a large bag and the high high humidity here, make sure you airtight the food, i use the 5000ml water jugs.
My cats havent liked stale food

Another thing to add but use a bowl made of china (proper name is apparently porcelain), not plastic, as plastic bowls can cause ‘acne’ on cats chins and some of them are smart enough to not eat from a plastic bowl.

2 Likes

Long term if your cat will eat wet it’s better

Dry food is not good for cats

It’s easier for people and many cats won’t eat wet food after eating dry

But wet food ensures them having more water in their system and that’s better

I probably should never have fed dry to my cats because once they eat dry that’s their normal preference now

Wet food helps reduce the chance of kidney failure
From long term insufficient water

You do have to them brush their teeth though

1 Like

Cats are carnivores. Give them meat. You can find organ meat for cheaper usually and they like that and it’s very nutritious.

For the longest time, human and animals prized organ meat. The alpha of carnivore pack animals get to eat the organs first. The bottom of the pack eats the muscle meat. All the good nutrition is in the organ meat.

I suspect this is another reason why humans suffer from poor health even with an abundance of food these days.

1 Like

Taiwanese eats organ meat all the time…

1 Like

But it saves you money on cat food! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Water in s bowl is not fresh nor running. Cats prefer running water. Get a pump.

Tuna is not good for cats. Raw diet might be initially madam but it will save money, time and pain in the long run.

A mix of wet and dry food is best. Balanced diet.

Definitely get a water fountain too, the ones with a pump in them. Change the water fairly often. They get dirty quick.

What’s the evidence for the human part?

I feed my cats a mixture of minced fortified raw meat (in the morning) and dry food in the evening. When I’m away it’s dry only from an automatic feeder (1-2 days a week). I would skip the dry entirely if I could afford it. I get the raw meat from peteatmeat.com/ . They deliver it frozen. There are all kinds. Poultry, mackerel, even beef.

We know this to be true for many indigenous tribes around the world.

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/05/health/hunter-gatherer-diet-tanzania-the-conversation/index.html#:~:text=Live%20TV-,What%20a%20hunter-gatherer%20diet%20does%20to,body%20in%20just%20three%20days&text=The%20Hadza%20people%20live%20in,the%20oldest%20lineages%20of%20mankind.

Bone marrow looks like a part of human diets as well, we see evidence of cracked bones that suggests that it was something we ate.