Cat trees

I think they’re called cat trees, but I want to get the cat one of those carpeted climby things so she cant burn off some of the energy she builds up when we’re not home.

When we’re home we play with her and she runs around like hellonwheels and freaks herself out. I just hope that a cat tree or something similar will allow her to blow off some steam when the mice are away.

Will it work? And where can a get a good one that won’t cost me a kidney?

jdscratched

I was given some advice to avoid buying the scratching posts/feline entertainment centers that are carpet covered, because the cats will learn that scratching carpet is ok. eg., Any carpet. (Bu xing)

If you don’t have other carpets, then it’s ok. Having one might or might not help, though. They don’t burn up a lot of energy. Our cat Ginger still likes to run around the house like it’s the Indy 500, chasing or being chased by imaginary beasties, going so fast that she uses walls for cornering sometimes. She’s an unholy terror. Having the cat tree doesn’t really stop that. She just uses it for occasional scratching.

I’d recommend you get her a rambunctious playmate. They’ll chase each other and wear each other out.

bwahahahahahahahah

Even though you’re probably right, my scrotum is more important. As in “My wife will cut it off if I get another cat.” :astonished:

Build your own. I’ve seen alot of them in Taipei made out of thick rope wrapped around a 2x4.

Don’t need a scratching post. Need a running wheel or something.

A Cat Treadmill huh?

[quote=“Namahottie”]Build your own. I’ve seen alot of them in Taipei made out of thick rope wrapped around a 2x4.[/quote]Not that hard to make a basic one. I used to make them, and they were sold at a veterinarian hospital/RSPCA in Canmore, Alberta. 1/2 of the money from the sales went to the RSPCA. I must say, I have yet to see cat posts that come even near the quality of mine. I made them like little houses, with carpeted walls, ceiling, floors, framed entrances and windows, etc. They sold like hot cakes, faster than I could build them. I sold them right until I came to Taiwan. I had to refuse orders just before I left Canada.

Here’s pics of a few of my cat posts:

I think DB said it well, a cat post will not help your cat to burn energy. It does make for a happier cat, and an awesome place to take a nap, though. :slight_smile:

Damn bobepine, those are condos for cats… :bravo:

Well Jd if you are inclined to make your own, I have carpet that’s clean and I’m not going to use. It’s yours to have if you like.

From personal experience: make sure it is sturdy enough, especially, that it has a heavy base and hopefully some sort of support all the way to the ceiling. My feline companions destroyed two “cat trees” and a “cat tepee” by running helter skelter and crashing/jumping into them. Of course, they did the same to my landlord’s cupboard, not by scratching it, but just by slipping and missing a curve…CRASH!

Check this out: http://www.catree.com.tw
catree.com.tw/products.htm … click on one of the pics

[quote=“Dragonbones”]If you don’t have other carpets, then it’s ok. Having one might or might not help, though. They don’t burn up a lot of energy. Our cat Ginger still likes to run around the house like it’s the Indy 500, chasing or being chased by imaginary beasties, going so fast that she uses walls for cornering sometimes. She’s an unholy terror. Having the cat tree doesn’t really stop that. She just uses it for occasional scratching.

I’d recommend you get her a rambunctious playmate. They’ll chase each other and wear each other out.[/quote]

Update: Ginger no longer runs around like mad. I think it’s an age thing. Now the new adolescent, Chico, does that.

The cat tree never used up energy. It’s just a sunning perch. Ping pong balls work MUCH better for running off energy. Buy a dozen or so. Give 'em one at a time, until it vanishes (probably under a couch or bed). Then give 'em another.

Every month or so, move the couch to recover the balls.