Cats Behavior

You do not need to wash your cat every 2 weeks or so. One of our cats has NEVER been washed. He’s 9 or 10 now. They are strictly indoor cats though.
Vets here seem to have some funny ideas about what needs to be done. The ‘bathing your cat’ scheme is one of them.

I bath my cats once a year, but only because the wife insists. Indoor cats don’t need to be bathed.

Mine does, but only because he likes to roll in the poo tray. There’s a behaviour problem the OP might like to diagnose…

Mine does, but only because he likes to roll in the poo tray. There’s a behaviour problem the OP might like to diagnose…[/quote]
Well, yeah, that is a rather extenuating circumstance. Especially if he sleeps on your bed. :smiley:

hmm, and you see this is exactly what I thought before too. The thing is I feel maybe the climate and bacterio-fungal environment in Taiwan really is that different, and I didn’t want to be the “always-knows-better” foreigner… so yeah I will try to limit it and see if the will be a CATastrophe or not~

Cat rolling in poop…hmmm… any of my books didn’t mention that :smiley: there was loads of talking about pooping out of box only :ponder:
He must like his poops smell for some reasons. My best idea is - try to scoop it as soon as it comes out of the cat :smiley: maybe the cat feel he has not enough of his own smell, and he’s trying to get it back? Dunno, I have some wild ideas but it’s just blind guessing. Do you have more than one cat? Have you been washing your pet before it started this or after?
After some googling I found your cat is not all so special. Here are some ideas as well dailykitten.com/chat/topic/7235 (bigger litter box, no cover litter box, visible for you place of litter box, they talk about diet too etc.) If you read carefully you can see it might be changed. I don’t know why so many cat owners seems to think “it’s cat, it’s like they are, let him do it”, what often the problem is not either good for the cat or people. So don’t give up, and maybe try some easy stuff and see if it works for you kitty :slight_smile:

I don’t bathe my cats, but I do give them a wipe with water every morning in summer to cool them down and remove excess hair. I just plop them in the sink and smooth them down with handfuls of water. They are fine with this.

He might go for it, but the reason for me to bath is using the shampoo from vet, so still wouldn’t solve the skin problem. But I will try and see of the skin problem will really be back if I shower him less.

The cat rolling in the litter box is likely not because he likes the smell, but the feeling of rolling in the sand. Cats were originaly arid climate animals. Some are very picky about what kind of sand they will poo in because the texture of the sand is so important to them. It also probably feels cool. Or maybe the OP is right and the shampoo smells so bad to the cat that he actually likes the poo smell better!

If I am holding either one of my cats and walk into the bathroom, they tense up and look to bolt. I do wipe them down with water in the summer though, sometimes getting them pretty wet, and they seem to enjoy this. I think they’re thinking they are getting some kind of special grooming. Just not in the bathroom and it’s all good. Cats are finicky little creatures.

Yeah, that’s what I figured … like a dust bath. Actually he only does it when it’s been cleaned, but it’s still not exactly clean!

Anyway, we make allowances for him because he has mommy issues. He has a blankie that he kneads and sucks - the vet surmises he must have lost his mum when he was very small.

Finley, I had a cat once that would knead and suck on things like that. You could never hold him in your lap without one or two wet spots where he’d been sucking on your shirt. We also just figured he must have been taken from his mom before he was properly weaned. He was a very sweet, loving cat.

One of ours does that - did you ever find any way to get him to stop? At times I’ll just keep a “sucking rag” nearby for him, because apart from the damn wet spots he leaves behind, he’s very sweet. Every so often I’ll try for a few weeks to be very loving with him as long as he doesn’t suck, then loudly say no and pull his mouth away when he inevitably tries to, but despite being smart enough to open doors he never seems to quite make the connection - or he’s utterly unable to resist the urge.

Awwww…well the blankie must be comforting for him, maybe he is still feeling a little anxious or sth? The books I read always suggest to offer more play and toys for kitties to relax them and take their mind of other things, and provide some refugee that is higher and it’s covered, where cat might go feel safe and rest. Probably your cat is not really stressed by the current life, but maybe he remembers the stress from his childhood? hmmm that all sounds like a shrink talk, but never too much playing with kitties :slight_smile:

Last night we invented new game with Oscar (new for us) I will slide the dry treats on the tiled floor through whole living room so he can chase them. He was crazy for it :smiley: last two night he even didn’t bother me in the morning like usual, and let me wake up by myself. Today he helped me kill a big cockroach too (was chasing him in bathtub till I was able to go get a shoe - the deadly anti-roach weapon). So generally, since I made the playing regular, and also make him “play” for food (hiding half portion of food around house, treat balls, etc.) he is more cool at night and when we don’t play :slight_smile:

But he scratched his head a lot recently (under chin, around ears). I’ve tried to look there but it’s all fur so dunno what’s the issue. The belly seems to have little white “fur dust” so maybe the change of food is working. Or maybe too early to say.

lostinasia: apparently that is why clickers are needed, to help cats make connections. for us it seems redundant, but seems animals (not only cats) get the meaning better with things like clickers. They rather make the click sound connect with the treat, and then the click and treat action with sth you train them as the good. I am just starting my clicker training, and it seems to get to my cat faster that I want him to put his paw on my “paw” with the clicker, than when I tried to teach him the trick before.

But all in all, I think sucking is not that bad :slight_smile: At least he likes you enough to suck on your clothes :slight_smile:

lostinasia: apparently cats do not grasp the concept of negative reinforcement - you’re wasting your time saying “no” to a cat or punishing it as you might a dog. They simply don’t make the connection between the behaviour and the bad consequence. For some reason though, they can be very quickly trained with positive reinforcement (clicker training with a food treat). Personally I’ve never tried training our cat out of his blankie habit because, really, it’s not doing anyone any harm and he seems to get something out of it!

@finley: I agree! positive training is the thing to go for :slight_smile: Although apparently it’s recommended to say one loud word like “No” to make cat stop what wrong he’s doing at the time she’s doing it. But it won’t mean he will get the idea next time the “No” will happen again.

On a lighter note, cats are not so bad after all: i1.kwejk.pl/site_media/obrazki/2 … 1349426471 :sunglasses:

Well, given that he eagerly sticks his head deep inside the shoes of anyone new who visits the apartment, I don’t think his affection is too hard to earn!

Interesting about the negative reinforcement: I didn’t know about that. So is there some way to use positive reinforcement to stop a behaviour?

Yes, they do, they just have ADHD and immediately forget. :laughing:

But seriously how would you use positive reinforcement to deal with a cat scratching things?

Yes, they do, they just have ADHD and immediately forget. :laughing:

But seriously how would you use positive reinforcement to deal with a cat scratching things?[/quote]

Well, you teach the cat that if he does scratch something else than human, he will be rewarded. for example when he scratched you, say loud one NO, and walk away, but when you see a cat scratching his scratching post then threat him (apparently best to use clicker training). I am still trying this all out, but it seems you try to direct the behavior onto something else.

similar idea for the blankie, when you see him dragging it, maybe offer to play with him instead, so he has something good happening when the blankie is not there.

I will try to go through some books on Click training to find better explanation. I’ve just got worried over Oscar’s swollen lip, I guess same case as here: justanswer.com/pet-cat/1ixt4 … -seem.html

Yes, then you train the cat to think scratching his post is a great way to get a treat, but hey, that couch is also a lot of fun.

My cat does not need my approval for the things he does. He may enjoy my approval but that won’t direct him away from things he likes to do that I don’t.

cats are very smart. They will understand you if you repeat it enough times. Dont be forceful with them. Be gentle and they will understand.

My cat whopper loves to nip people and used to nip me often (and he has super sharp teeth that draw blood instantly). Iv gotten him slowly weaned off this very bad habit. JUst explain to him each time he does wrong. Eventually he will get it.

now he still wants to nip me but he does it gently , i still remind him (also gently) not to bite.