Cats Behavior

One cat would, the other wouldn’t. He has ADHD I tell you. Brilliant cat, can think up to two moves ahead to untangle a string wrapped around a chair, but no capacity to learn not to scratch up my sofa. :noway:

One cat would, the other wouldn’t. He has ADHD I tell you. Brilliant cat, can think up to two moves ahead to untangle a string wrapped around a chair, but no capacity to learn not to scratch up my sofa. :noway:[/quote]

Well you may be right, he may be a lost cause. But if I can train my cat to walk on a leash, maybe theres hope yet? :smiley:

The problem with the sofa is that by the time I could train him it was already ruined. So there wasn’t much point.

But I love him and he’s one of the most colorful cats I’ve have ever had. What other cat would let you swing him upside down or literally toss him with a back flip onto your shoulder so he can perch on there like a parrot?

[quote=“Mucha Man”]The problem with the sofa is that by the time I could train him it was already ruined. So there wasn’t much point.

But I love him and he’s one of the most colorful cats I’ve have ever had. What other cat would let you swing him upside down or literally toss him with a back flip onto your shoulder so he can perch on there like a parrot?[/quote]

:smiley:

pretty cool !!

our cats are special to us, I never even liked cats until i got my first one. And now i feel they are each so individually special. So full of character, its amazing.

Whopper can just about read my mind. He somehow knows im about to give him a bath, even before id make any preparation and make a dash to get under the bed.

Or he will also run under the bed when he gets a feeling im about to pop another cod liver oil pill in his mouth. Actually i make a small cut and squeeze the oil into his mouth (not good tasting i know). I give him one of these each week only.

That’s why my cats used to have their own sofa. Really. They ruined my first one, but instead of throwing it out, I kept it when I got new furnature. I had to put up with one ratty looking sofa sitting in my living room, but they never touched anything else.

That’s a good idea. When I got a new leather office chair my cat didn’t touch it as long as the old one was around.

When I was adopting Oscar, I was told he like to scratch sofa, he also killed one at his previous place. I have big black leather sofa in my place so was worried. He tried to scratch the corner of it, so I put the cat scratching post/tower just in front of it, and a towel on the bare side of it. Now he doesn’t really scratch it, he does the posts. to make him like them I put the catnip there sometimes. At the very beginning I had to use a toy and play around him, so he would put the paws on it. Now he doesn’t like anything but this post to scratch. Not sure how home decor is important to you though.

Some people suggest putting double sided tape on such places, since cats don’t like the feeling of sticky paws. Not sure how this works, and if it wouldn’t destroy your sofa with the glue. I got the repellent spray for cats too, but I think it wasn’t working too well, and was making me super guilty.

Also, from the Good Cat book, chapter about scratching, can’t copy it out, so I screen capped it and put here:
flickr.com/photos/alkithilien/8069076225/ p.1
flickr.com/photos/alkithilien/8069076417/ p.2

Generally, after you cats is used to clicker, you don’t need to use the threat every time you click. I didn’t get that far yet though :smiley:

Btw. read this article this morning, and man… I trained my cat bad in the morning routines… petplace.com/cats/thwarting- … page1.aspx

He he. Just as I was reading your post my cat came up behind me and started scratching the couch.

Ha, he feels scared of change :smiley: you see :slight_smile: well, good luck :slight_smile: you can try at least, there’s nothing bad for cats in these methods, just patience :slight_smile: and some money if you would need to buy a new post/tower. I got mine for around 500 NT and it has two scratching points and a ball on stretching rope which was big fun for my cat before (now he got bored with it) still uses it to scratch though, that didn’t bore him.

this is exactly same one: tw.search.bid.yahoo.com/search/a … =&ei=UTF-8

Tried the fancy scratching posts. No effect. He prefers leather or cardboard.

Also tried the sticky tape thing. He would literally sit on it and when he got up whole chunks of fur would rip off. He didn’t care. :laughing:

I might give this another go. The problem with the sofa is I went travelling for a few months after I got it and Ping destroyed it before I came back.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Tried the fancy scratching posts. No effect. He prefers leather or cardboard.

Also tried the sticky tape thing. He would literally sit on it and when he got up whole chunks of fur would rip off. He didn’t care. :laughing:

I might give this another go. The problem with the sofa is I went travelling for a few months after I got it and Ping destroyed it before I came back.[/quote]

Hmmm… there are cardboard scratching posts too, quite fancy too :slight_smile: maybe try the fancy post you bought before and play some dingling thing with the cat around it, I love to see how my cat uses the post too hook himself in it and hold the victim toy :smiley: as for tape, I thought of sticking it at the exact place where he scratched on the sofa (so vertically), but hey, maybe your cat is exception and it won’t work. Dunno. In worst case he will have fun see you loosing the game of “no sofa scratching” :wink:

[EDIT]
So I changed the vet and the new one is super cool and good with Oscar and me :slight_smile: I told him that the other vet made me shower Oscar every 2 weeks, but this vet seemed quite surprised by this and suggested every 3-6 months to be enough. He also said it’s not good to sedate Oscar every time when tests need to be done. Ok, I am quite in love with this vet, seriously. He said that over-grooming is an issue, and it is most likely due to allergy, but maybe some internal problem too. He said it’s very difficult to fight allergy, as there is only one expensive brand in Taiwan of dry food that is truly non-allergic, and that would be Hills special food. He said, the older the cat, the immune system gets weaker and allergies are hitting more and more :confused: Overall he talked with me about many issues but these are not really behavior related.

And as for clicker training - Oscar is totally shaking hands with me and my bf now :smiley:

When you have pets in your home it’s been very difficult to keep clean. Specially the pet likes carpet and rug. That’s why rug or carpet should be cleaned after a period interval of 3-4 days by either steaming or vacuuming. It is advisable not to clean with vinegar or any detergent powder. :slight_smile:

visit

It’s medicinal!

New Study Finds Catnip Protects Cats from Mosquitoes

2 Likes