Causeway Bay Books

As many of you will know, Causeway Bay Books 銅鑼灣書店 was a venerable bookstore in Hong Kong, selling all kinds of titles banned in China. The Chinese authorities hated the place, especially because they sold books about the private lives of senior Communist Party leaders including Xi Jinping. The owner Lam Wing-kee and four of his associates were abducted by Chinese security services in 2015. Lam spent eight months being interrogated before finally being returned to Hong Kong. Gui Minhai, a Swedish publisher and investor in Causeway Bay Books, fared even worse. He was abducted in Thailand, spent five years in detention in China before being convicted of “illegally providing intelligence overseas” in February of this year and sentenced to a further 10 years in jail.

Lam Wing-kee moved to Taiwan in 2019 and has recently reopened Causeway Bay Books in Taipei, perhaps the only place left in the Chinese-speaking world where it’s safe to do so. As well as Chinese-language books about Hong Kong and China he is also stocking a selection of Camphor Press titles, making it the best place in Taipei to get your hands on our books.

So, if you’re in the area please do show your support to Mr Lam (and buy some of our great books too!). The address is 10F, 5-1 Nanjing West Road (台北市中山區南京西路5-1號10樓), right by exit 3 of the Zhongshan MRT station.

7 Likes

I saw your post on Facebook and made a note to visit. Good to see that somebody is actually carrying your books as I don’t think that I’ve ever seen them in a store.

1 Like

I will definitely buy a book or two for some of my Chinese friends from that shop.

1 Like