Caves Books: any problems?

I have watched the continuing saga of Francis Chen and Cave’s Books with growing interest over the last few months. Ms. Chen has posted dozens of ads for the same job – an EFL editor/consultant at Cave’s Books. Why are they having so much difficulty filling the position? Does anyone have any insider knowledge? Are they too picky? Impossible to work for? Absurdly overdemanding?
Somebody must know! Enlighten me, please.

I too have noticed this phenomenon. I personally think they are being way too picky.

I applied for the job and got interviewed for it. The job really doesn’t seem like anything overly difficult. Seemed like alot of proofreading and editing of textbooks and materials they produce as well as, once in a while, going to language schools and talking to teachers about how to teach some of these materials. Not rocket science by any stretch of the imagination. I’m not at all upset I wasn’t selected for the position as it would have meant relocating (and I’m also quite content teaching anyway). However, as I continue to see the ad reposted and then double, triple and quadruple posted I have to wonder why nobody who has applied so far is suitable. I have a little more faith in the abilities of the average person. Most responsible people could do the job as they described it to me. I’m quite sure most of the applicants could do the job well. Surely they can just pick someone and be done with it? Their strange behaviour has me wondering what kind of an employer they are.

I applied, had an interview, thought I was hired, guessing that I’m not, and still waiting to hear back from them regarding some samples I wrote. The told me that they are still deciding and will let me know. They also said they would contact me this week. I haven’t heard anything. If they don’t contact me early next week, I will give them a call to find out what’s up. If I don’t get the job I will ask why? Just to know.

I will keep you posted.

I know someone that works there. I’ll give her a call and find out if you like and I remember. I know that the person who had the job a while ago was a Forumosan who went back stateside.

Thanks, but I think it would be best to wait until early next week. They didn’t give me a day, just said contact you next (this) week. I wish they were more straight forward.

I am doing a book for them at the moment
Yes they take a long time to follow anything up- but no more than any other publishing company i know

had no problems so far

I think it’s reasonable for a company to spend 2-3 months on looking for someone they want. Once the adv. is posted on the web, there must be many candidates to apply the position. There is nothing about “picky” but the company must consider all candidates carefully. I am sure that no one would apply for only ONE job when they are looking for it as well. The company must update the adv if they are serious about the content. Just a piece of mind, please do think about what you really want to tell others before you post any news about an adv on Forumosa. (as the adv is posted in the section of JOb Listing.)

I think the OP did think about what he wanted to say. His questions were fair.

People should be concerned when they see a job that has been listed for a long time or a job that is constantly being relisted. Jobs ads such as these tell me several things…none of them complimentary.

I don’t think anyone should be upset. It’s just a question, and that is what this forum is for, to find answers to your questions. Now we have our answer. Francis, could you email me and tell me what is being done with the samples I wrote? I was told that Claire would get back to me in a week, and she hasn’t.

I said I wish your office was more straight forward, because I was told at the interview I was suitable for the position, and that your office would contact me, which they have, but not with a solid answer. I know you are still deciding on the consultant position, but since that was the position that I applied for, which position did claire mean I was suitable for?

[quote=“Honour”]Francis, could you email me and tell me what is being done with the samples I wrote? I was told that Claire would get back to me in a week, and she hasn’t.

I said I wish your office was more straight forward, because I was told at the interview I was suitable for the position, and that your office would contact me, which they have, but not with a solid answer. I know you are still deciding on the consultant position, but since that was the position that I applied for, which position did claire mean I was suitable for?[/quote]

I hate to say this, but I think your posting here in this manner proves that you are not suitable for this job, or you have already decided that you won’t take it. Why in the world would you wish to air your business in a public forum?

What you need to know should be done via email.

Ask some of the other bosses around here what they would do if a prospective employee started posting Q and A to them on a public forum.

“Next!”

I agree with DB. I quite often avoid applying for jobs I see advertised too often. It gives me a bad impression of the company.

I think bababa’s questions were very fair. Why can’t they fill the position after so much time? I have to wonder why it takes so long to find someone suitable for a job that isn’t all that difficult. I repeat what I said earlier: most competent people could do the job-- as I had it described to me-- very competently and with ease. I think that, rather than arguing that it’s “reasonable for a company to spend 2-3 months on looking for someone they want,” Cave’s ought to speed up the process in order to show a little respect for the abilities of those who applied for the job in the early stages of the competition. As well, they’d avoid wasting alot of people’s time and be helping to preserve their company image among prospective employees and customers.

Yeah, I know. Originally, I thought that I could clairify my “ambiguous” comment, so that others didn’t get the wrong idea. I have emailed Francis, and explained that.

Maybe it’s like night clubs that make people wait outside for half an hour before they are allowed in, even if the joint isn’t remotely packed, in order for the club to gain “face”.

Honour: you asked me to e-mail you…but I didn’t know who Honour was till I got your mail.
jdsmith is right, whatever you would like to know, you are very welcome to contact me instead of posting Q on the web…you have to expect me to see it then. You want me to answer you what position you are offered… We all thought you were good enough to work on a writing project after you came for an interview. You are also willing to do that, aren’t you? Someone else is now working with you for a project but not me. As the position you applied for, you should ask me directly. We are impressed by your experience and what you presented on that day. Therefore, we asked if you would like to write something for us. It’s not about the position at all. But we would still consider you for being our consultant.
For updating the adv, if we update it, it would be the first one on that section for more people can see it. We also know more great candidates by that way.

Sorry, lesson learned. I will email you.