Cell phone compatibility - Taiwan and Australia?

Likely buying a new cell phone (again, dammit). Might drag it on a trip to Australia this summer. If so, before I buy it, it would be nice to know if it needs to be anything in particular to work over (under) there, such as tri-band, GSM, super-satellite or space shuttle enabled, etc?

If you buy a cellphone in Taiwan, it’s more likely to work in Oceania than it is in North America. I bought my present cellphone in New Zealand. I doubt there’s much difference between Australian and New Zealand cellphones except for cell phone company rates (Some Australian phone company charges or charged for calls made to cellphones).

seeker4 - didnt you get my pm

Any GSM phone, including double and triband ones, should do.

Yes, I did. This thread is asking about something different, i.e., features. Thanks.

FWIW, I take my Tw phone home to NZ whenever I go and last time I went via Sydney for a few days. It worked fine everywhere.

Does Australia have the same system here with SIM cards? If I take my phone there, can I just buy an Aussie SIM and pop it into the phone?

yes, as long as the phone is not ‘simlocked’ which is what some providers do if they sell you a subsidized phone. So, either buy a phone not on a contract, or check to see if a contract one is simlocked or not (put in another provider’s sim).
Phones can be unlocked using a small pc based utility, if required.

[quote=“Truant”]yes, as long as the phone is not ‘simlocked’ which is what some providers do if they sell you a subsidized phone. So, either buy a phone not on a contract, or check to see if a contract one is simlocked or not (put in another provider’s sim).
[/quote]
Naturally, the time that it needs to be checked is when you’re standing in the phone store thinking about buying it. So, with that in mind, what is a practical way to check if it’s “simlocked” at that point? Is that a question that cell phone store employees could be expected to answer?

yes, as long as the phone is not ‘simlocked’ which is what some providers do if they sell you a subsidized phone. So, either buy a phone not on a contract, or check to see if a contract one is simlocked or not (put in another provider’s sim).
Phones can be unlocked using a small pc based utility, if required.[/quote]

I bought my phone on contract through Chunghwa here. Anyone know if they simlock their phones?

Although I don’t know their policy, one experience sheds some light. Someone I know had a Chunghwa phone, bought as part of a contract. Late 2004, took that phone to Hong Kong on business and used a prepaid SIM purchased in HK. Worked fine.

I bought 2 same phones on Chunghwa (Zhonghua) (Zhonghua), 1 on a deal, 1 stand alone. They both came from a box and are unlocked. I have never heard of a locked phone here, but expect some shops will have them.